AFD Locked & Loaded Discounts: Now $399

56 minutes ago, uruguns said:

Yeah, it was a supposition based on facts published on nyt article where GnR is mentioned. I think labels/artists should inform consumers whether they are purchasing remasters from safety copies or from original recordings.

Oh, I couldn't agree more. Personally, I think record labels are some of the shadiest companies in existance. As an avid vinyl collector, I'd had to really learn to be on the watch for a lot of their "creative wording" when it comes to reissues and remasters. That shouldn't be on me as a consumer, but it definitely is :/

Having said that, while I have my own doubts as to the validity of the AFD remaster, we just don't know for sure yet. 

• Like 1

Quality control on the LAL cabinet is not good. Not for an item with an original MSRP of $1000. My cross is glued crooked and they must also hand glue each skull because Adler is a little off-center. If you pay close attention to people's photos, due to the "hand-made" nature, they're sort of all like that. Cross is slanted slightly one way or the other and the skulls are not always in the same spot.

I ended up exchanging mine and the new one they sent is pretty much the same as old (crooked cross), except a little beat up. It has a couple dents on the door. So I'm keeping the original, but my original, in one spot on the top of it, it's a little distressed and not glued down tightly. Almost as if someone glued it, then lifted it up to straighten it and re-glued it. I am considering taking off the beat up doors on the replacement they sent and putting my original doors on the replacement cabinet. Probably as perfect as I'll get the cabinet to look.

ALL THAT SAID, it's still very much worth the price. The thing, even with the flaws of the "hand-made" design, looks pretty rad. The painted skull and cross look awesome. I love it. I want to build a custom little stand for it so I can prop it up higher next to my TV. Right now I have it in my bedroom on one of my dressers.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Quality control on the LAL cabinet is not good. Not for an item with an original MSRP of $1000. My cross is glued crooked and they must also hand glue each skull because Adler is a little off-center. If you pay close attention to people's photos, due to the "hand-made" nature, they're sort of all like that. Cross is slanted slightly one way or the other and the skulls are not always in the same spot.

I ended up exchanging mine and the new one they sent is pretty much the same as old (crooked cross), except a little beat up. It has a couple dents on the door. So I'm keeping the original, but my original, in one spot on the top of it, it's a little distressed and not glued down tightly. Almost as if someone glued it, then lifted it up to straighten it and re-glued it. I am considering taking off the beat up doors on the replacement they sent and putting my original doors on the replacement cabinet. Probably as perfect as I'll get the cabinet to look.

ALL THAT SAID, it's still very much worth the price. The thing, even with the flaws of the "hand-made" design, looks pretty rad. The painted skull and cross look awesome. I love it. I want to build a custom little stand for it so I can prop it up higher next to my TV. Right now I have it in my bedroom on one of my dressers.

Were you sent replacement doors on the back of your enquiry? I remember you said you had contacted Universal to complain about the squint cross - how did they respond?

24 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Were you sent replacement doors on the back of your enquiry? I remember you said you had contacted Universal to complain about the squint cross - how did they respond?

They responded by telling me due to its handmade nature, it won't be perfect and if I want to exchange it, I'd have to pay shipping on a 50 lbs package. I was trying to make it simpler for them and have them ship me the right side of door with the skull and I'd attach it myself. But since they got sort of belligerent about their refusal to send me a shipping label for return, I sent them pictures of something I hadn't griped about because it wasn't a big deal (the distressed corner on top of the box where it looks like someone lifted then re-set the faux leather). They apologized and said that warranted a replacement box. So they didn't just send the door. They sent the entire box. But again, the new box was beat up ... and still had a crooked cross.

37 minutes ago, veon said:

Looks like they are starting to break up the some of the boxes and selling some of the exclusive items a la cart... I’ll pick up the tape of the Mystic demos if they ever sell that...

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/spares-and-parts-guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-sets-broken-up/

We've discussed this quite a bit already. I would imagine the cassette and vinyl will get new life as "Record Store Day Exclusives" in the future. 

On 2019-08-09 at 9:55 AM, RussTCB said:

We've discussed this quite a bit already. I would imagine the cassette and vinyl will get new life as "Record Store Day Exclusives" in the future. 

What's the deal with the cassette? Was there one in every box? I saw a picture of a L&L box in a record store (I wanna say it was Amoeba Records) and it specifically stated that it didn't come with a cassette.

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

What's the deal with the cassette? Was there one in every box? I saw a picture of a L&L box in a record store (I wanna say it was Amoeba Records) and it specifically stated that it didn't come with a cassette.

probably from amoeba I am assuming since they have on there and it says no cassette.

I am thinking one of two things, whoever traded it in sold or kept the cassette or Amoeba doesn't realize that it is hidden and it is actually in there stuffed in the back still.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Amir said:

Since a lot of that stuff was shot on video I think even a DVD would be sufficient, don't think there'd be that much difference in sound/image quality in HD.

Not necessarily. When you restored or remasterized you can get the big stuff. Try looking "queen live at Montreal 81". That shit is crazy man. Imagine that on GNR. I can pay us 100 in advance if gnr do some project like that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, axlvai said:

Not necessarily. When you restored or remasterized you can get the big stuff. Try looking "queen live at Montreal 81". That shit is crazy man. Imagine that on GNR. I can pay us 100 in advance if gnr do some project like that.

Queen Montreal 81 was originally filmed, which is why it benefits from a blu-ray. There's a massive difference between something that was filmed and something that was video taped. Video tape was a low resolution format, typically maxing out at under 500 lines of resolution, no matter which way you cut it. Film is almost infiniate in resolution (for lack of a better term) so concerts that were filmed can always benefit from a blu-ray or 4K blu-ray transfer. Something that was video taped can't benefit from any amount of upscaling because the source material will always be stuck at the low resolution it was shot at.

To give you an Queen based example; when you're looking at Queen Montreal 81, you're looking at a concert that was filmed and it's actually being downscaled to HD for the blu-ray. Go check out the blu-ray for the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert and you'll see the difference. That concert was video taped and although it's on blu-ray, there's nothing that can be done to make it "HD" because of the resolution of the source material. So really, you aren't gaining any advantage buy viewing the blu-ray.

Having said all of that, there's absolutely NO reason why GN'R shouldn't be releasing DVDs of the video taped concerts they have in the vault. On top of that, I'm sure they have PLENTY of te UYI tour that was filmed that could benefit from a blu-ray release.

In the end, none of the above facts matter though because GN'R just isn't interested in selling their fans art to buy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert was exactly what I was thinking of. You'll get a higher bitrate because of the increased storage capacity of a Blu-Ray vs DVD but there's nothing that can be done about the native resolution of the source video and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, so a DVD would be good enough for concerts shot on video.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For those that got the Pro-Ject turntable in their bundle...  does this model have a built-in preamp? I'm assuming no... but just want to confirm. Looking at their website there appears to be many versions of the Essential III... I'm not exactly sure what we got. I'm trying to get around to hooking mine up and want to make sure I get the right parts.

Any recommendations for a preamp and/or speakers?

A couple people recommended these to me (seem pretty good for the price point)

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280T-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016P9HJIA/

Not sure about a preamp (assuming I need one for this turntable). Will a cheap one be ok or do I need something bettter?

https://nerveaudio.com/product/ph-1-1/

https://www.amazon.com/GOgroove-Turntable-Preamp-Preamplifier-Adapter/dp/B00WNLIHJA

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Phono-Turntable-Preamp-Preamplifier/dp/B004HJ1TTQ

Edited by smiley

7 minutes ago, smiley said:

For those that got the Pro-Ject turntable in their bundle...  does this model have a built-in preamp? I'm assuming no... but just want to confirm. Looking at their website there appears to be many versions of the Essential III... I'm not exactly sure what we got. I'm trying to get around to hooking mine up and want to make sure I get the right parts.

Any recommendations for a preamp and/or speakers?

A couple people recommended these to me (seem pretty good for the price point)

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280T-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016P9HJIA/

Not sure about a preamp (assuming I need one for this turntable). Will a cheap one be ok or do I need something bettter?

https://nerveaudio.com/product/ph-1-1/

https://www.amazon.com/GOgroove-Turntable-Preamp-Preamplifier-Adapter/dp/B00WNLIHJA

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Phono-Turntable-Preamp-Preamplifier/dp/B004HJ1TTQ

I hate giving this answer, but it's so true: it's all relative and if depends on what you want to spend. 

I will say this; those are probably decent speakers and they obviously aren't going to break the bank. It you go with those speakers, I would say you'll be fine with the Pyle pre amp you linked. 

Whenever you get yourself set up, come join us in this thread:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/201863-vinyl-lp-and-turntable-discussion/?page=64

We'll all be more than happy to help you through the process :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I hate giving this answer, but it's so true: it's all relative and if depends on what you want to spend. 

I will say this; those are probably decent speakers and they obviously aren't going to break the bank. It you go with those speakers, I would say you'll be fine with the Pyle pre amp you linked. 

Whenever you get yourself set up, come join us in this thread:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/201863-vinyl-lp-and-turntable-discussion/?page=64

We'll all be more than happy to help you through the process :)

Opened that thread earlier while searching - but haven't had time to read it all yet  ;)

thanks!

• GNFNR 1

On 8/9/2019 at 5:16 PM, veon said:

Looks like they are starting to break up the some of the boxes and selling some of the exclusive items a la cart... I’ll pick up the tape of the Mystic demos if they ever sell that...

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/spares-and-parts-guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-sets-broken-up/

The greed of this band, charging $1000, is still barely conceivable. 

• Like 1