"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

52 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I watched this last night and posted it to my Facebook page immediately afterwards. Rick hits the nail directly on the the head here. 

He does. I know it's personal for us when he talks about GNR, but it really pissed me off that the Hendrix state kept his songs and videos out of streaming platforms for years. And to this day, it's still hard to watch the Isle of Wight 1970 performance other than the blu-ray. Do they really think a teenager who just discovered classic rock would buy a blu-ray? They barely know that their PS4 and Xbox play those discs for movies too. This business strategy doesn't make any sense, you're kinda alienating the potencial consumer and making it harder for the existing fanbase to enjoy the content. Nobody profits with this, if anything they are shrinking their own revenue.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

4 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

I was watching a live Dust N Bones video on youtube yesterday and Axl had me in stitches after listening to what he had to say in regard to stale setlists, and his thoughts on relying on older material.

It was so rich I felt I had to transcribe it and post it here. I'm sure many people will know about it already, but for those who don't:

“There might be a delay between different songs, because we have this big fucking list, and we pick which song were gonna play next as we go, to see how it feels best with you. That way we don’t get bored, and you don’t go “I saw that show in Toledo”. Fuck that shit.

Also we’ll be playing a lot of new stuff, seeing as how you people have a waited a really long time for the album to come out. And it’d be a really kinda pussy-ish thing to do to come up here and play ‘Appetite For Destruction’, it’s kinda like jerking off”.

:lol::lol::lol:

Someone should show that video to him and see what he says.

• GNFNR 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

That's 100% true. 

Hmmm. What are some good examples? The Rock Am Ring solo, admittedly might be the only version I've heard, seems sloppy. Albeit, Slash has seemed to be playing that song lazily since 1993. I'd still put the acoustic Skin and Bones versions over the NuGNR, even with Robin, as much as I love his playing

24 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Hmmm. What are some good examples? The Rock Am Ring solo, admittedly might be the only version I've heard, seems sloppy. Albeit, Slash has seemed to be playing that song lazily since 1993. I'd still put the acoustic Skin and Bones versions over the NuGNR, even with Robin, as much as I love his playing

Off the top of my head, I'd say look for something from the Japan shows in 07. Spoiler Alert: it's Robin, so they're all gonna sound slopy haha, but I honestly prefer his version of the solo. 

• Like 2

Off the top of my head, I'd say look for something from the Japan shows in 07. Spoiler Alert: it's Robin, so they're all gonna sound slopy haha, but I honestly prefer his version of the solo. 

That’s actually what inspired me to make my initial post, I was listening to a 2007 Japan boot on a walk. I love that whole lineup in general, really great shows and music. Some songs sounded way better with that lineup than they do with the current.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • GNFNR 1

From Better and This I Love, I never really figured Robin to be a sloppy player; I'm not too intimate with most of his involvement with the band. I couldn't even name most of his solos off of CD

On 14/4/2020 at 5:23 PM, UsedYourIllusion said:

Hmm, I wonder if someone could take the 5.1 surround mix of Sympathy, and remove Paul Tobias's overdub from the left channel, just replace with riff he's playing while Slash is soloing. Kinda ruins the track for me 

Fucking unbelievable to this day that he did that to Slash on his prime just to put his friend’s shitty playing.

@RussTCB

"Fernando" has replied on Reddit again, in case you want to re-open the other thread.

edit: here's his comment

flebeis

-1 points · 34 minutes ago

It’s coming along. This pandemic and the moving of our dates and the replanning of our 2020 year took priority here. I know it’s a long ask, but we are close.

He also replied to my comment :lol:

Edited by Gordon Comstock

30 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Nah, we can just leave his ridiculous statements in here. 

Honestly I think that's a fairly bad attitude to have. If everything he says is diminished as ridiculous then why ever should he ever say anything at all? Sure some of it presented it a me against the world attitude(it kind of is in some ways I guess), but we've been looking for an update about and album and shows, and seems to have given both based on what he knows at this time.

"Email info@teambrazil.com with ideas and contests you would like to see and let’s work together on try to amend the gap between the band and the fans. We have a social media / official channels that we can incorporate the ideas you are suggesting in a condescending tone above."

He also seems open to ideas to keep things going during the break as well which is cool, so I wouldn't dismiss it all as ridiculous.

14 minutes ago, registra said:

Honestly I think that's a fairly bad attitude to have. If everything he says is diminished as ridiculous then why ever should he ever say anything at all? Sure some of it presented it a me against the world attitude(it kind of is in some ways I guess), but we've been looking for an update about and album and shows, and seems to have given both based on what he knows at this time.

"Email info@teambrazil.com with ideas and contests you would like to see and let’s work together on try to amend the gap between the band and the fans. We have a social media / official channels that we can incorporate the ideas you are suggesting in a condescending tone above."

He also seems open to ideas to keep things going during the break as well which is cool, so I wouldn't dismiss it all as ridiculous.

Here's the thing: they've made that bed, not us. We (the staff here) have offered for years and years to assist TB with repairing the relationship between the band and the fans. 

So, for me, it's a been there done that kind of thing. Many fans have offered to help for years as have we, the people who run this site and have a huge platform to assist them. 

If Fernando, TB and/or GNR turned around today and told us they want to make an honest effort to fix the relationship with the fans, we'd be more than happy to help. But it would take effort on their part, which is something they've never wanted to exert. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

flebeis

1 point · 6 minutes ago

Because Ticketmaster and partners are still looking for the best way to remedy the situation.

It’s pretty apparent that things have changed. But you are right. Let me get together with social media team and reassess our posting ways.

I honestly laughed at his last sentence :lol:

• Haha 2

Here's the thing: they've made that bed, not us. We (the staff here) have offered for years and years to assist TB with repairing the relationship between the band and the fans. 

So, for me, it's a been there done that kind of thing. Many fans have offered to help for years as have we, the people who run this site and have a huge platform to assist them. 

If Fernando, TB and/or GNR turned around today and told us they want to make an honest effort to fix the relationship with the fans, we'd be more than happy to help. But it would take effort on their part, which is something they've never wanted to exert. 

Ah yeah, that's fair. And you've dealt with far more than I ever have so you probably have a better idea of how they work.

Having said, I do think it's good that he is open to ideas through this time and actively discussed mending relationships, it's far more open and positive then I've seen them before. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 1:15 PM, UsedYourIllusion said:

I just think UYI sounds too, maybe polished isn't the right word, but it sounds like an ACDC album. To me, at least, it sounds the most dated of all of GN'Rs catalogue. Along with some curious choices for recording, like all the added effects on Garden of Eden, Perfect Crime, fade out on DTJ, My World? Haha, the over production of KOHD. 

UYI has some of my favorite songs, but not recordings. The songs play out so much better live than in the studio. To the point, it feels hard to get my friends interested in GN'R showing them stuff from UYI. 

Well, thank you for not saying you don't like it because it's "too polished".  That's the critical phrase every rock fan uses when he doesn't like a song/album and feels like the artist spent too much time and money to get a very specific, refined sound.  Of course, these critics always say they prefer the live version of the song, because, of course, the guitars are louder.  Strangely though, that criticism is never used when describing Pink Floyd, Queen, early Def Leppard or the later Beatles albums.  I'd say they are all pretty polished, and pretty great. 

Bought the locked and loaded box set last night for $360 before tax and shipping.

I know that is still very expensive and I probably shouldn't have spent the money but I just got some refunds from canceled concerts, my stimulus and a bonus check from work so I said fuck it.

It cost me 412 after shipping which is way more than I ever thought I would spend on a music box set but I do fucking love this band and the box is gorgeous.  

Feel bad for everyone who dropped 1k

• Like 2

Just now, Bitchisback said:

Bought the locked and loaded box set last night for $360 before tax and shipping.

I know that is still very expensive and I probably shouldn't have spent the money but I just got some refunds from canceled concerts, my stimulus and a bonus check from work so I said fuck it.

It cost me 412 after shipping which is way more than I ever thought I would spend on a music box set but I do fucking love this band and the box is gorgeous.  

Feel bad for everyone who dropped 1k

Enjoy it!  I always liked the aesthetic of the L&L box set, and of course great content in it too - I just thought that the 1k price tag was a joke so I am glad people are nowadays being able to get it at the price range it should have been to begin with

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

Enjoy it!  I always liked the aesthetic of the L&L box set, and of course great content in it too - I just thought that the 1k price tag was a joke so I am glad people are nowadays being able to get it at the price range it should have been to begin with

Thank you. I can't wait to open it.

400 is still a lot of money, but with all the bullshit that we have had going on this year I deserve something nice.  I never thought I would have the chance to own this when they announced the ridiculous price tag and that always really bummed me out.  I'm super excited.

• Like 1