"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

Random question. Maybe one for @SoulMonster or @Blackstar

Does anyone know why only Duff and Steven were there to accept the award for SCOM at the MTV awards in 1989?

Was there a reason the other 3 weren't there. It was early in their rise to fame so an MTV award would still have been a big deal at that time.

Was it do do with Motley Crue presenting it? Had Axl started his beef with Vince Neil at that point?

Or was it simply a schedule clash?

7 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Random question. Maybe one for @SoulMonster or @Blackstar

Does anyone know why only Duff and Steven were there to accept the award for SCOM at the MTV awards in 1989?

Was there a reason the other 3 weren't there. It was early in their rise to fame so an MTV award would still have been a big deal at that time.

Was it do do with Motley Crue presenting it? Had Axl started his beef with Vince Neil at that point?

Or was it simply a schedule clash?

Axl and Izzy were there (not sure about Slash).

It was the same awards Axl and Izzy performed with Tom Petty. Then Vince Neil punched Izzy backstage, and Axl was chasing Vince Neil :lol:

I don't know why Axl and Izzy didn't go up to accept the award. The incident with Vince Neil happened after that, but maybe it did have to do with Motley presenting the award. Or maybe they were busy rehearsing with Tom Petty.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Blackstar said:

Axl and Izzy were there (not sure about Slash).

It was the same awards Axl and Izzy performed with Tom Petty. Then Vince Neil punched Izzy backstage, and Axl was chasing Vince Neil :lol:

I don't know why Axl and Izzy didn't go up to accept the award. The incident with Vince Neil happened after that, but maybe it did have to do with Motley presenting the award. Or maybe they were busy rehearsing with Tom Petty.

Thanks. I didn't make the connection with the Tom Petty performance. Dates aren't my strong suit.

I just had a random video clip of the award pop up on YouTube and wondered why they all weren't accepting it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stro said:

I forget when all of the leaks came out, was there a Bumblefoot version of Silkworms or just OMG/Going Down? 

Yea there was a demo of Absurd, it was basically the same as what was eventually released, but with different guitars obviously.

Going Down leaked in 2013, around the same time as Blood In The Water and some Better remixes. OMG and Absurd with Bumblefoot leaked in 2018.

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea there was a demo of Absurd, it was basically the same as what was eventually released, but with different guitars obviously.

Going Down leaked in 2013, around the same time as Blood In The Water and some Better remixes. OMG and Absurd with Bumblefoot leaked in 2018.

Did anyone ever figure out who the guy was that leaked the Bumblefoot OMG and Silkworms?  And wasn't there a version of Street of Dreams from 2001 also in that batch?

I do not remember the Silkworms but did remember OMG and it was basically the same as the released track but with the riff doubled and I think some more noodles. But I felt like I remembered there being a Silkworms with him and it actually had the chorus from HOB/Rio maybe? 

5 minutes ago, deathrevan said:

Did anyone ever figure out who the guy was that leaked the Bumblefoot OMG and Silkworms?  And wasn't there a version of Street of Dreams from 2001 also in that batch?

Yea there was RTB mixes of The Blues and Madagascar leaked around the same time.

4 minutes ago, Stro said:

I do not remember the Silkworms but did remember OMG and it was basically the same as the released track but with the riff doubled and I think some more noodles. But I felt like I remembered there being a Silkworms with him and it actually had the chorus from HOB/Rio maybe? 

Maybe you're thinking of evader's mix of Silkworms?

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea there was RTB mixes of The Blues and Madagascar leaked around the same time.

Maybe you're thinking of evader's mix of Silkworms?

Maybe. Is the BBF version easy to find anywhere these days? 

idk what yall been talking about the last couple pages, but Eye on Yous chorus(aka NOT the macdaddy part) is ptetty catchy. If someone more current released it and redid the synth/instrumentation to be less "of its time", it could be a hit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mendez said:

idk what yall been talking about the last couple pages, but Eye on Yous chorus(aka NOT the macdaddy part) is ptetty catchy. If someone more current released it and redid the synth/instrumentation to be less "of its time", it could be a hit.

I'm not sure I would say there's hit potential in that chorus but I agree that it's catchy and good. I think they should reuse that chorus and scrap everything else.

6 hours ago, Mendez said:

It's a fantastic song with some of Axl's most awesome vocals. 

I would be more than glad if the next few songs to get released (all things considered®) are from the CD era, even if it's Atlas and/or Perhaps. I mean, I don't care that much for Atlas, and I love Perhaps how it was, but at least it would be interesting to hear Slash's take on both tracks. 

Of course, the only thing I wouldn't like about those two songs is that a certain user would think it would be a nexus causality for his conspiracy theory. :lol:

Having said that, I think I would prefer to get another rocker from the Village batch, or even The General (from the shitty recording, at least, it sounds pretty good). 

• Like 1

The odd thing about Atlas Shrugged is according to Bumblefoot it was very close to making Chinese Democracy. I wonder how different that version was compared to the leak and whether it would've kept the name.

Another thought, I watched some of the available performances of Coma from the UYI and NITL tours and it's pretty much impossible for Axl to sing those last 2 minutes well even though he tries. I notice in the NITL versions he lowers his voice a bit for the final part of the song.

UYI has a few songs with ridiculous vocal deliveries but Coma was probably too good not to play live. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mystery said:

The odd thing about Atlas Shrugged is according to Bumblefoot it was very close to making Chinese Democracy. I wonder how different that version was compared to the leak and whether it would've kept the name.

Another thought, I watched some of the available performances of Coma from the UYI and NITL tours and it's pretty much impossible for Axl to sing those last 2 minutes well even though he tries. I notice in the NITL versions he lowers his voice a bit for the final part of the song.

UYI has a few songs with ridiculous vocal deliveries but Coma was probably too good not to play live. 

Axl from 2016 has much more breath control at the end of the song than Axl from 1992 and seems to perform the song much easier than in 1992. Someone has already written this.

10 hours ago, mystery said:

I wonder if it would keep the 90's alt-rock vibe from the demos. I don't dislike it, but I wouldn't miss it. 

6 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

It's a nightmare that all we will probably ever hear from GnR from here on out is Chinese Democracy related. Wtf.

Get the band to appear in every Hanna Barbera related cartoon that's still airing and we might get another album.

• GNFNR 1

19 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

In 2010 didn’t look that bad

It wasn't bad as a temporary look but he kept it for a good 5 years. It also felt like he hid a lot behind the hat and sunglasses which he still wears but less than he did in that era.

1 hour ago, mystery said:

It wasn't bad as a temporary look but he kept it for a good 5 years. It also felt like he hid a lot behind the hat and sunglasses which he still wears but less than he did in that era.

I agree.

For me, Axl always looked better with a bandana. He also looked great most of the time during 2006/7 Tour. 

• Like 1