"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

On 3/24/2022 at 10:02 AM, DTJ80 said:

Imagine if GNR….etc etc repeat

Just once I wish GNR would be a bit normal and throw us a cool thing like this.

Especially since we know there's plenty of footage presumably stored somewhere. It's not a case of the band lacking content or anything.

Remember when Frank was on Appetite For Distortion and he seemed mildly terrified to be asked a hypothetical question about what Guns N Roses *might* sound like *if* they went into a studio and recorded some music? That was some weird shit and a pretty revealing moment. It's strange at the top.

P.s. I should add that Frank seems like a real nice dude. And respect to @Gambit83!

• GNFNR 1

17 minutes ago, merryfnchristmas said:

Remember when Frank was on Appetite For Distortion and he seemed mildly terrified to be asked a hypothetical question about what Guns N Roses *might* sound like *if* they went into a studio and recorded some music? That was some weird shit and a pretty revealing moment. It's strange at the top.

P.s. I should add that Frank seems like a real nice dude. And respect to @Gambit83!

Frank seems like a nice guy, but expecting him to answer questions like that is pointless. Axl is clearly the boss, and Frank shows up and plays what he's told to.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

On 3/18/2022 at 7:33 PM, mystery said:

It wasn't bad as a temporary look but he kept it for a good 5 years. It also felt like he hid a lot behind the hat and sunglasses which he still wears but less than he did in that era.

tbf 2010 started with quite a different look, not always wearing bandanas, the shirts with no sleeves, t shirts etc. It wasnt until late 2010 that the jackets and hats look started, continuing pretty much unchanged until 2014. 

Axl has always had very distinct looks split in to era's since 2001 onwards, as if he cannot change his look until a band member leaves. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - THIS is bad. At least Axl can still somewhat get close to his classic voice…..JBJ didn’t even have a particularly aggressive voice either so who knows what’s happened to completely destroy his voice! 😬

Edited by DTJ80

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Wow - THIS is bad. At least Axl can still somewhat get close to his classic voice…..JBJ didn’t even have a particularly aggressive voice either so who knows what’s happened to completely destroy his voice! 😬

Yeah. He's not even trying anymore. Almost sounds like he's sick (since at least 2019). The other songs from that show are not quite as bad though.

7 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. He's not even trying anymore. Almost sounds like he's sick (since at least 2019). The other songs from that show are not quite as bad though.

I listened to Livin’ and that was terrible too. I just saw it trending and had a look - not great if he is still charging top dollar. The band doesn’t sound like a rock band…more a wedding band!

Edited by DTJ80

18 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I listened to Livin’ and that was terrible too. I just saw it trending and had a look - not great if he is still charging top dollar. The band doesn’t sound like a rock band…more a wedding band!

Living isn't great or good, but not quite as a bad as Love. ;) Yeah. That's been going on for several years, I wonder how someone can go out and charge that kind of money for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming in off-topic in this thread but I've done that thing (you all do) when I've had a couple of glasses of wine and went YouTube surfing the very finest GN'R videos. I saw them 3 times last year and swore every time that they were utterly tremendous. To the extent I'm flying down to Daytona Beach from New York next month to do it once more time.

But I noticed something. I have been a long time defender of Axl's live singing voice because I swear, when you're there, he sounds like does on the records. But watching back the videos, the enormous regression between 2019 and 2021 is startling. I'm basing this mainly on Live and Let Die because as recently as 2016-2019 he sounded incredible doing that scream. Now? He skips the start, and gives a version of it that is what you'd expect as a nostalgia play from a classic rock band. But yet he looks healthier than he has done in years.

The obvious point is, clearly, they are an ageing rock band and maybe it's hard to let it go. But Axl turned it on so hard in the big moments live in recent years, I'll be sad if that's something that is fading. I don't really have a real point here worth further debate but if I can't share it here then what's the point, right?

8 minutes ago, W. Axl Kev said:

I'm coming in off-topic in this thread but I've done that thing (you all do) when I've had a couple of glasses of wine and went YouTube surfing the very finest GN'R videos. I saw them 3 times last year and swore every time that they were utterly tremendous. To the extent I'm flying down to Daytona Beach from New York next month to do it once more time.

But I noticed something. I have been a long time defender of Axl's live singing voice because I swear, when you're there, he sounds like does on the records. But watching back the videos, the enormous regression between 2019 and 2021 is startling. I'm basing this mainly on Live and Let Die because as recently as 2016-2019 he sounded incredible doing that scream. Now? He skips the start, and gives a version of it that is what you'd expect as a nostalgia play from a classic rock band. But yet he looks healthier than he has done in years.

The obvious point is, clearly, they are an ageing rock band and maybe it's hard to let it go. But Axl turned it on so hard in the big moments live in recent years, I'll be sad if that's something that is fading. I don't really have a real point here worth further debate but if I can't share it here then what's the point, right?

First off, there's no "off-topic" in this thread, is there. Secondly, you're right, and it only pissess one off even more when you realize he's wrecked most of his throat with a different band (from Australia) and instead of ending his own band's tour on time logically (i.e. the end of 2017), he went on destroying his cords on subsequent unnecessary tours, while he should have played it safe, given it a rest, created new music etc. It's all really frustrating. 

• Like 2

I’ve threw on the Latin American Selects and as there seems to be no plans on the horizon for an official documented release to capture the magnitude of the monstrous Not In This Lifetime Tour by way of Blu Ray despite claims from Fernando saying otherwise a few years back, do you think they now deem the Selects as filling that void and that any supposed plans for a physical release of a live show with proper mixing/mastering have been scrapped indefinitely? 

40 minutes ago, Dean said:

I’ve threw on the Latin American Selects and as there seems to be no plans on the horizon for an official documented release to capture the magnitude of the monstrous Not In This Lifetime Tour by way of Blu Ray despite claims from Fernando saying otherwise a few years back, do you think they now deem the Selects as filling that void and that any supposed plans for a physical release of a live show with proper mixing/mastering have been scrapped indefinitely? 

I think the NITL live album / Blu Ray was scrapped in favour of the EPs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the live tracks on the EPs are what Fernando deems to be the best material that was originally meant to come out from the Blu Ray / live album.

I can live without an official live release from the NITL tour, especially if it potentially threatens getting new songs.

I came across this picture which was interesting. Slash wearing a Metallica shirt that says Metal Up Your Ass which was Kill 'Em All's original title. It's from July 1988 in Chicago so a few months before ...And Justice for All was released.

guns-n-roses.jpg?quality=85&strip=all

Edited by mystery
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

So, Classic GNR went from 1986-1993. a total of 7 years.
The reunion started in 2016 and we are at 2022. a total of 6 years

If we was going through this for the 1st time, we would be at the 1992 stage. Mad to think that in a year it could be all over again.....

14 minutes ago, ssiscool said:

If we was going through this for the 1st time, we would be at the 1992 stage. Mad to think that in a year it could be all over again.....

It really is. It’s always wild to me how relative time can feel dependent on age.

When I was a kid growing up in the ‘90s, the gap between those GNR Vegas shows in 2000 and the Illusion tours ending seemed enormous. But to that point, Slash and Duff were only out of the band a handful of years.

The wait for Chinese Democracy felt like an eternity, and yet here we are and it’s been another 14 years of silence, 14 years of pain. Fourteen years that are gone forever, and we’ll never have again. 

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, ssiscool said:

I am surprised it lasted this long tbh. A lot of reunions don't go well. Given how much bad blood there was between Axl and Slash and how much time they have spent apart this is probably one of the most successful reunions in rock history

I'm very happy it's gone so well.  Hoping to get another chance to see them next year.

Edited by Bitchisback
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ssiscool said:

Mad to think that during those original years, they released shitloads of music and videos and basically made their entire career. While these years... 
Yeah, they have nothing to prove, I know, but still...