The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

3 hours ago, soon said:

If Guns wanted to release something and hired a proper creative/promotional team they could have the hugest online event of the pandemic. Hands down.

Interviews, remote guests, behind the scenes making of doc, as a pre-show. And then stream the album with visuals and band pics. have it set so that people around the world can post videos from their listening parties live in a caption right next to the album stream. 

Have their illustrious peers react to the album afterwards. So many possibilities to make it a huge event. One could imagine that the same amount of people who've bought ticket since NITL would take part in the event.

When you read about exciting and fucking cool ideas like this and then look at Gnr reality...no words.

• Like 4

My hope for a new album next year quickly dwindle as I realize 2021 is the 30th anniversary of UYI and they will want to milk that as much as possible. Probably not smart for both things to be so close to each other from their point of view. Hopefully it will be a good UYI anniversary atleast with the PC documentary and some official pro shot gigs. But probably not lol. Even if it comes out, that documentary footage will be heavily edited, I mean the exchange between Axl and Kurt at the 92 VMAs was filmed by the crew, we probably won't get to see such interesting things.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

I wonder how much stuff Axl has written was sold to other bands.  Like the rights to Crash Diet were sold and I think someone mentioned that one if last years leaks became a song by another band.  

maybe this is a question Brando @Gambit83 could ask a guest (Doug?) if the opportunity presents itself?

I just think there might be more of Axls music out there than we think.

Edited by Chester 524
  • Like 1

Most big bands do this in the sunset of their careers, but Gnr skipped the best part of their careers and went straight to ripping off loyal fans, and to tease new music after it has been teased for decades is bloody disgusting, to trade what they had for greed still blows my mind 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, tony adler said:

Most big bands do this in the sunset of their careers, but Gnr skipped the best part of their careers and went straight to ripping off loyal fans, and to tease new music after it has been teased for decades is bloody disgusting, to trade what they had for greed still blows my mind 

GN'R career has been in the sunset since the late 1990s. 

10 minutes ago, Majestic Beast said:

With so much rehearsals and work in the studio,they should release a 4 disc pack with completely new material.:lol::slash:

They could release 100 CD's ($10.00 each) from the Demos alone, but the Management has no idea about Marketing and Distribution. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

They could release 100 CD's ($10.00 each) from the Demos alone, but the Management has no idea about Marketing and Distribution. 

Ive been loving The Tommy demo "Dont need you to save me" and Going Down even more than ever lately! If Guns dont want those tracks, Id love for them to get a proper Tommy release! And Robin on Save Me iirc.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2020 at 1:27 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Honestly, since the shows for next year have been reduced to a small handful, waiting until they can tour is pointless now imo. Plus, putting the album out now would be a great excuse to not have to do things like press, music videos, etc. (“we are social distancing!!”).

The whole “we are waiting until we can tour again” excuse is total bullshit. They just don’t wanna put anything out. Simple as that!

A so called insider on another forum said it looks like 2022 at this point.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

A so called insider on another forum said it looks like 2022 at this point.

Gives said 'insider' a couple of years then to spew out some other shit and claim their five minutes of attention before saying "plans changed" and "I was only passing on what I'd been told"! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Honestly, I just don't see them doing an album. Axl clearly doesn't have much of an interest in putting out new music and now that they have 3/5ths of the originals back together, they know they can keep on touring big venues a-la the Stones and Aerosmith until they have to pack it up. Crowds won't diminish at this point because of a lack of music. That is just the truth, the crowds show up to drink and hear SCOM.

A new record would be fantastic for us, but it would be the same as any other legacy rock act record nowadays. One or two "hits" that get a lot of radio play on your local rock station and maybe a commercial (and then after a year tops you won't hear it again unless you play it) and then a tour to match. Are you going to hear "Chinese Democracy", "The Day That Never Comes", "Hardwired", "The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)", "Tattoo", "Rock or Bust", "Rock N Roll Train", "God is Dead?", "Legendary Child", "Louder Than Words", etc, or even a newer song like Ozzy's "Under the Graveyard" on any radio station now? No way. Most people aren't going to go "I like that new GNR song, I'll go see them!" Sure, a few might, but not thousands per show that would make up a big part of the venue. The most significant traction I saw with a legacy band's "new" song was hearing "Doom and Gloom" in Avengers Endgame, but even that is more of a nod than anything. It pains me to say but if Zeppelin even got back together and did an album (lol), the same thing would happen. These bands' primes are long gone.

It's been 12 years since Axl put out an album, let alone one song. Before that, it was like 16 years before albums with original material with one song in between. He has had ample time to and there have always been excuses why the time wasnt right and how it'll be different later-  "they have to properly promote Chinese", "they have to finish THIS tour leg first!", or to the current day's "they just got back together, then they will do new music!"

We are going on almost half a decade (God damn, wtf) since they got back together. If Axl wanted to put something out, it would have happened by now. The reunion isn't new anymore, it's lasted around the time it took from AfD- UYI and more than some bands have even lasted. 

I got a good fix out of them, I can say I saw them a few times and had a lot of fun in 2016. If Axl sucks now and if they don't put out new music, too bad, but it's whatever at this point. If Axl is going to do the nostalgia thing at least he got a semi authentic band to do it with. Of course I want an album, and think it's a waste Axl won't do it, but he probably just doesn't care without the incentive.

I don’t think I have ever heard ANY of these on the radio in the UK. Rock radio is dire here - one only plays ‘greatest hits’ so you get about 3 GNR songs on rotation (Absolute Classic Rock). The other main one is Planet Rock which is a shadow of its former self but at least tries to play different stuff rather than the ‘standards’.

Not your main point but it just got me thinking the radio is actually pretty shite...😂

• Sad 1

Is System of a Down's refusal to do another record cutting into their concert ticket sales? I'd say not even close. How many people are going to skip out on a future Rolling Stones, Van Halen, or Guns N' Roses concert in their city nowadays because there isn't a new record? Not many. Sure, I might to some of them but that makes up a very small portion.

Would U2 have sold the same amount of tickets for their recent tours if they didn't put out Songs of Experience and Innocence? Yes they would have and they did. The band did a massive nostalgia stadium run celebrating "The Joshua Tree"  right smack dab in between those album tours with just as many, if not more tickets sold. I would say a lot of casuals and fans probably even preferred The Joshua Tree Tour 

It helps sometimes, like in Tool's case. Fear Inoculum had/has a very successful arena tour, but believe it or not I think they might have a more dedicated hardcore following whereas GNR relies more on the casual classic rock crowd. The album also had a sort of "Chinese Democracy" status and their type of music doesn't rely on the hits and casual crowd for the most part. It's also likely they could have done that same arena tour regardless of the album's release. They did an ampitheater tour the year before that was successfully attended without a record to promote.

Edited by ZoSoRose

6 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Is System of a Down's refusal to do another record cutting into their concert ticket sales? I'd say not even close. How many people are going to skip out on a future Rolling Stones, Van Halen, or Guns N' Roses concert in their city nowadays because there isn't a new record? Not many. Sure, I might to some of them but that makes up a very small portion.

Would U2 have sold the same amount of tickets for their recent tours if they didn't put out Songs of Experience and Innocence? Yes they would have and they did. The band did a massive nostalgia stadium run celebrating "The Joshua Tree"  right smack dab in between those album tours with just as many, if not more tickets sold. I would say a lot of casuals and fans probably even preferred The Joshua Tree Tour 

It helps sometimes, like in Tool's case. Fear Inoculum had/has a very successful arena tour, but believe it or not I think they might have a more dedicated hardcore following whereas GNR relies more on the casual classic rock crowd. The album also had a sort of "Chinese Democracy" status and their type of music doesn't rely on the hits and casual crowd for the most part. It's also likely they could have done that same arena tour regardless of the album's release. They did an ampitheater tour the year before that was successfully attended without a record to promote.

The painful thing is we thought that Axl was different, the tortured artist who valued music over money. Realizing he's just like the rest, if not worse, has been a long and devastating realization for a lot of us fans.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

The painful thing is we thought that Axl was different, the tortured artist who valued music over money. Realizing he's just like the rest, if not worse, has been a long and devastating realization for a lot of us fans.

Yeah, it's a bummer. I think artists at that point just view making music as a part of the job and if they don't have to do it, why bother? The sad fact of the matter is that it's just too late for them to put out anything that would really leave a mark. No matter how good it is, people just moved on and Guns N' Roses now exists in the same bin as all of these other legends. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, that's just their place now and it's cool they were massive enough to get to that point. 

A new album would always have an asterisk by it, released as one of the records after a band's prime. It doesn't mean I don't want new music or don't think they should try. There are still thousands of nerds like us that would listen to it ad nauseum and talk about it on the internet for years to come. Maybe Black Sabbath die hards do that with "13" and Aerosmith diehards with "Music From Another Dimension".

The world as a whole just doesn't care about what a 60 year old Axl Rose has to say. The first single would be a novelty to many, "look, Slash and Axl on a song together!"

To get really blunt, they kind of already did that with "Shadow of your Love". We all know it's an old song, but many didn't. I had a friend who is probably in his 40s, who likes GNR a fair bit text me when it came out. He said something like, "the new GNR song sounds pretty good!" That was it. He thought that was an all- new track and his reaction was "pretty cool!" I doubt he has listened to the song in the last year. That would be the world's reaction to a new album, "pretty cool".

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, soon said:

Ive been loving The Tommy demo "Dont need you to save me" and Going Down even more than ever lately! If Guns dont want those tracks, Id love for them to get a proper Tommy release! And Robin on Save Me iirc.

Same! I already think of them as Tommy Stinson songs, not GnR.

• Like 1

They will not release until they are able to tour, so 2021/2022. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about Slash writing new stuff, but his new Hardschool intro was a million times better than the original, so maybe writing backwards (lyrics/vocal melodies first, music second) is bringing his creative side back.

• Like 1