The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Axl sounded amazing on Angel Down (Sebastian Bach) and that was recorded and released in 2007 (Axl's parts, at least)

His clean singing on CD was by choice. I like a balance of the two. Works great on some songs, like Catcher, Atlas, Soul M, Prostitute for clean.  And the rasp works for Shacklers, parts of Hardschool, Zodiac, State of Grace, etc. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

There are a lot of music related ads in the Super Bowl ever year.

Also, the last few GNR albums were released while the band was touring outside the US, so what does a US tour have to do with anything? 

A 30 sec ad in the SB is 5 million dollars. Doritos sat out for the first time in 10 years 

How do people feel about not just Axl, but GNR brought to you by Budweiser?

That’s if someone like Budweiser wants your new music enough to build a SB ad around it...

15 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

A 30 sec ad in the SB is 5 million dollars. Doritos sat out for the first time in 10 years 

How do people feel about not just Axl, but GNR brought to you by Budweiser?

That’s if someone like Budweiser wants your new music enough to build a SB ad around it...

I'm aware that SB commercials cost a ton. That doesn't change the fact there are a lot of music related ads every year. 

And IF they were to have an ad during the SB, it would definitely have to be a time in with another company. That's just how music is sold these days. 

18 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm aware that SB commercials cost a ton. That doesn't change the fact there are a lot of music related ads every year. 

And IF they were to have an ad during the SB, it would definitely have to be a time in with another company. That's just how music is sold these days. 

Can someone say Dr Pepper?

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

This. It would have to have a major movie or product tie in. It’s crazy that people think that there would be no money to be made with a new album. This is one of the biggest bands of all time. Axl, Slash, and Duff have not been on an album together in almost 30 years. It could mean millions of extra dollars in the band’s coffers over the next few years. At minimum it would keep the tour machine rolling on and on. 

• Like 3

This reminds me of how the black crowes got thrown off the zztop tour in the early 90s because they didnt advertise miller who was supporting the tour.

YCBM was tied into T2, VR did "money" for a movie so i reckon there should be another movie tie in for whatever gnr "product" . But i dont think theres money or exposure in films anymore. Maybe SB woukd be a better money earner and promo.

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Why time in with another company, when they got there own laundry bags to advertise...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

New album wise if Richard's comments earlier this year were an indication of the GNR sound "evolving", I think that's a sign we might get a pretty decent Rock album not as good as Appetite, but close to the Illusions. If we look at "mainstream" Rock from when Axl started writing CD, it went from nu metal, to more of a hard rock with definitely a grunge kind of influence,  and that's what I somewhat expect. I think Axl is definitely more into Rock now then that experimental shit in the late 90s and early 2000s, especially since he covered Slither and toured with AC/DC. I expect a decent Rock album with some experimental stuff like Atlas Shrugged. Hes got Slash n Duff back into the writing folds so I'd say expect a decent Rock album.

• Like 2

I really want new music. However, don't believe it will happen with axl at the helm of the ship, but severely hope I'm wrong.  This rationale is based on his history of releasing new music, doesn't need money, and tours selling well without it. I don't like this, however, it is what it is, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, jimisbatman said:

I really want new music. However, don't believe it will happen with axl at the helm of the ship, but severely hope I'm wrong.  This rationale is based on his history of releasing new music, doesn't need money, and tours selling well without it. I don't like this, however, it is what it is, unfortunately. 

I believe if nothing new is added soon alot of people will eventually stop going to shows and it will be back to playing clubs and maybe another vegas residency for them.

Edited by vloors

I've said before, I personally don't blame Axl for the wait of CD, the album was ready in 2000 / 2001, Axl was ready for his "comeback". What held up the release was the record company & that Queen producer who told him he only had a few good songs out of batch of like 30 or more. If I were Axl and the producer who produced my favorite albums told me I only had a few good songs out of 3 or 4 years work on 30+ songs, I would be pissed & devastated that I'd have to go back to the drawing board pretty much. Axl turned in the remix album to the record company in 2010 but they turned it down. GNR hit the studio in 2015 before the reunion but nobody could agree on material, that's why members left & other reasons. The record company has been pushing for a reunion since Slash left now hes back, and now I'm 100% sure they will released anything GNR comes up with, only cause of that headline "First Original Material  GNR Album with Slash & Duff Mckagan since 1991 Use Your Illusion I & II".

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, djones1225 said:

I've said before, I personally don't blame Axl for the wait of CD, the album was ready in 2000 / 2001, Axl was ready for his "comeback". What held up the release was the record company & that Queen producer who told him he only had a few good songs out of batch of like 30 or more. If I were Axl and the producer who produced my favorite albums told me I only had a few good songs out of 3 or 4 years work on 30+ songs, I would be pissed & devastated that I'd have to go back to the drawing board pretty much. Axl turned in the remix album to the record company in 2010 but they turned it down. GNR hit the studio in 2015 before the reunion but nobody could agree on material, that's why members left & other reasons. The record company has been pushing for a reunion since Slash left now hes back, and now I'm 100% sure they will released anything GNR comes up with, only cause of that headline "First Original Material  GNR Album with Slash & Duff Mckagan since 1991 Use Your Illusion I & II".

They are also using the leverage of touring and demand. 

People believe these guys and the people behind the scenes don't know what they doing. 

The band are placing themselves in the best position to have full control over what and when they release music, either via their own means (label) or control over any current or future agreement with UMG. 

Thats the reason for continuing to tour. 

Currently UMG aren't the benefactors of any of that touring revenue. 

The promotors (live nation etc), the bands booking agent and the band itself are the ones receiving all those benefits. 

Perfect position to be in, to look after your own interests and or negotiate. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, vloors said:

I believe if nothing new is added soon alot of people will eventually stop going to shows and it will be back to playing clubs and maybe another vegas residency for them.

Back to clubs ? Lol. GnR could release zero new songs and still tour successfully the next ten years or more in arenas here in the States and bigger venues overseas. We are the vocal minority on this board. The vast majority of the audience is there to hear SCOM,PC,WTTJ not Chi Dem or Hard School.

Edited by Subtle Signs
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, djones1225 said:

Axl turned in the remix album to the record company in 2010 but they turned it down. 

I've heard this thing about the rejected remix album in 2010 from a lot of people. Is it actually confirmed that he submitted it and was rejected from a reliable source or is it just rumours? Having heard the leaked remixes I can understand why the record label wouldn't have been too keen... 

7 minutes ago, Caedo said:

I've heard this thing about the rejected remix album in 2010 from a lot of people. Is it actually confirmed that he submitted it and was rejected from a reliable source or is it just rumours? Having heard the leaked remixes I can understand why the record label wouldn't have been too keen... 

It was rejected. 

Do they owe the label any more records?

Surely they’ve made enough money over the past 3-4 years to record and release an album on their own.

just need a distribution deal which I’m sure iTunes would love to do, like they did with U2. Then Sony or someone to distribute the physical copy.

part of the endless touring may be to get the money together to pay off the label and cancel their current contract.

12 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Do they owe the label any more records?

Surely they’ve made enough money over the past 3-4 years to record and release an album on their own.

just need a distribution deal which I’m sure iTunes would love to do, like they did with U2. Then Sony or someone to distribute the physical copy.

part of the endless touring may be to get the money together to pay off the label and cancel their current contract.

I think it is still better to be with a label. A lot of artists are on these 360 deals now, so the record label should be in a good place with GN'R

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/how-360-deals-in-the-music-industry-work-2460343

9 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

I think it is still better to be with a label. A lot of artists are on these 360 deals now, so the record label should be in a good place with GN'R

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/how-360-deals-in-the-music-industry-work-2460343

Yeah I’ve heard about those 360 deals, and yeah, the label is a good place to be for the label but a band GNRs size don’t need a label imo, the music just has to be good.   Not to mention that the last 27 years is pretty much proof that this band really isn’t suited to being on a label.

Edited by megaguns1982

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

....do people really believe stuff like this? If Axl had said, in 2015, "hey guys, we're gonna release these 12 songs" that he'd be vetoed by Pitman, Dj or Bumblefoot? Gtfo :lol:

I could see Dj or Ron being annoyed that their songs maybe didn't make the cut, but that lineup desperately wanted to release an album.

It's far more likely they left because they knew the reunion was coming. Pretty sure Dj even said something like that...

Yep remember dj having an inkling something was happened and decided to side step. How did the other cd band members know?. Did axltell themdirectly or was that left tofernando?.  I could be wrong but i thought axl discussed it very briefly in the interview hiM and duff did together.

1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yep remember dj having an inkling something was happened and decided to side step. How did the other cd band members know?. Did axltell themdirectly or was that left tofernando?.  I could be wrong but i thought axl discussed it very briefly in the interview hiM and duff did together.

I remember in that interview with duff and Axl that Axl basically said it was all about the guy at coachella asked them.....

that pretty much says it was all about the money for a reunion at the beginning.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, megaguns1982 said:

Yeah I’ve heard about those 360 deals, and yeah, the label is a good place to be for the label but a band GNRs size don’t need a label imo, the music just has to be good.   Not to mention that the last 27 years is pretty much proof that this band really isn’t suited to being on a label.

I think the deal suited them from 87 to 93. I think they did alot  of things the label would never  do because of the relationship they had with mike clink. Clink must have had some sway with the big wigs because of his recording relationship with the band.

That said the industry has changed alot due to music downloads, sales, royalties. Don't  know if the band would be still better with UMG or form their  own label .

Do they even have an active deal with a label? I don't think they'd go for a 360 deal, that seems like something more suitable to lesser known artist. GnR didnt need the extra publicity to sell the reunion tickets and generate attention, so why would they give up a chunk of the proceeds to pay a label to do something that's not necessary. Same goes for the album, if something is released it will get plenty of attention, and I'm sure Beta and Fernando are able to secure them some spots on late night talkshows if they figure they need more attention. At this point I'd assume they are not looking at an album as something that would bring in serious dough, it would be a vessel to warrant more touring for the next few years.