The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

7 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

"Some fans think". Let's go with what we know, the village leaks were a mixed bag, I have no doubt that there's great stuff in the vault but I'm positive there's more god awful macdaddys and Silkworms. I don't see them releasing a double album even if Axl does have material for 2 records! Seems like an unnecessary risk. 

If one side is good and the other is a bit meh, the consensus won't be "yeah but we got 12 great songs" it'll be "half the album is shit, shouldn't have bothered". These are the discussions on UYI 30yrs later afterall, not saying I don't love UYI!

ok but the village leaks do not reflect everything Axl has accumulated over the years. It doesn't even reflect the second half of Chinese cause it's just a work in progress with most of the tunes lacking a vocal track.

all I'm saying is that a lot of people in the band or people who have worked with Axl have said there is a shitload of great unreleased material. Let's say that's true for the sake of argument cause Axl had a lot of time to hoard good shit.

I would prefer it if Gn'R released more than just 1 killer album. Instead of just 14 killer tunes I would prefer it if they released 30 cause I'm pretty sure I would like most of the material. My enjoyment of Gn'R material is not limited to only enjoying the absolute best shit and Axl hasn't released enough material for me to want less shit to listen to.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

ok but the village leaks do not reflect everything Axl has accumulated over the years. It doesn't even reflect the second half of Chinese cause it's just a work in progress with most of the tunes lacking a vocal track.

all I'm saying is that a lot of people in the band or people who have worked with Axl have said there is a shitload of great unreleased material. Let's say that's true for the sake of argument cause Axl had a lot of time to hoard good shit.

I would prefer it if Gn'R released more than just 1 killer album. Instead of just 14 killer tunes I would prefer it if they released 30 cause I'm pretty sure I would like most of the material. My enjoyment of Gn'R material is not limited to only enjoying the absolute best shit and Axl hasn't released enough material for me to want less shit to listen to.

Well if we're going to go along with the notion that be has tons of legitimately great material, then of course it should be released... but then we get back to the why on earth if he had that kind of material is he sitting on it? 

I'd love two albums of great material, we all would! But realistically the odds of them pulling off a double record? It's not I'm their favour.

41 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Well if we're going to go along with the notion that be has tons of legitimately great material, then of course it should be released... but then we get back to the why on earth if he had that kind of material is he sitting on it? 

I'd love two albums of great material, we all would! But realistically the odds of them pulling off a double record? It's not I'm their favour.

why would he sit on great material? I don't know, I can only speculate but maybe it's about a desire to release more than just a collection of great songs. a great album and I think a great Gn'R album for Axl is conditioned in the album achieving certain musical goals.

Like some type of progression from the previous release, not disposable but a musical statement that will stand the test of time, would add to the legacy, not detract from it and that is a difficult goal to achieve. Especially with how Axl chooses to approach it as a musician and he can't do it alone, he's not one of those geniuses that don't need anyone else. he needs others to help him get there.

so maybe he finds it hard to let go cause once he releases it, the process is over and the ability to potentially improve it is lost. I believe he really is a perfectionist. This shit happened with Tool as well. I think there are some similarities there.

a double album is possible just cause maybe most of the work has been completed already. Shit like musical direction, having enough material, and production are maybe not obstacles anymore.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Rovim said:

why would he sit on great material? I don't know, I can only speculate but maybe it's about a desire to release more than just a collection of great songs. a great album and I think a great Gn'R album for Axl is conditioned in the album achieving certain musical goals.

Like some type of progression from the previous release, not disposable but a musical statement that will stand the test of time, would add to the legacy, not detract from it and that is a difficult goal to achieve. Especially with how Axl chooses to approach it as a musician and he can't do it alone, he's not one of those geniuses that don't need anyone else. he needs others to help him get there.

so maybe he finds it hard to let go cause once he releases it, the process is over and the ability to potentially improve it is lost. I believe he really is a perfectionist. This shit happened with Tool as well. I think there are some similarities there.

a double album is possible just cause maybe most of the work has been completed already. Shit like musical direction, having enough material, and production are maybe not obstacles anymore.

Tool eventually release the albums though, and they are mostly considered masterpieces 😄 

I know what you're saying, and there's definitely perfectionism going on with the delays. 

In terms of Gnr we should pretty soon whether or not it's a double or single album, grab a comfortable seat😄

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 8:51 PM, Tom2112 said:

Tool eventually release the albums though, and they are mostly considered masterpieces 😄 

I know what you're saying, and there's definitely perfectionism going on with the delays. 

In terms of Gnr we should pretty soon whether or not it's a double or single album, grab a comfortable seat😄

well you know... different bands, different bullshit, but I think the 2 main differences between Tool and Gn'R are maybe that Axl didn't have Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven for all those years. Maybe if he had just 1 classic member still in the band with him in the Chinese era, things might have been different but maybe not.

also Axl kinda took over Gn'R, it wasn't a democracy and he didn't seem to trust the others musically. The band also didn't have a shared goal like Tool had. Izzy checked out early and he was an important songwriter for Gn'R. it seems Slash wanted it to be like an AC/DC type of a deal, where Axl wanted it to be more like Queen.

maybe now some things are different in Gn'R: band members have accepted their role in the band, made compromises and Slash and Duff have come to terms with Axl's shortcomings.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 2:23 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

He still sounds like himself on The Seeker, Wichita Lineman, the verses on Slither, etc so hopefully any new stuff would utilize those more natural vocals.

And he sounds freaking great on The Seeker and WL!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

Guns N' Roses need to make a record that Axl can sing live...

No, they need to make a record that will be fucking epic, and then choose songs that fit Axl for live rendition. They didn't play everything off UYI either, or just rarely. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rjuncajun said:

I personally really like The Seeker... 

same here, I love it and Axl sounds brilliant on it. In fact, I wish he would just do more straight forward rock songs because he kills it!  Stop doing multi-layered complicated songs with strings, French horns etc... and strip it back raw. Nothing substitutes for plain old good songwriting.

16 hours ago, Rjuncajun said:

I personally really like The Seeker... 

Every time they start the Seeker when I’ve seen them live, I’m like, fuck yes... they’re playing the slow version of You’re Crazy... then I realise, ah shit... it’s that fucking shit Seeker song... 

One of THE worst songs they’ve (Axl) ever chosen to cover. I absolutely hate it, and it’s long overstayed it’s welcome by about 10 years

1 hour ago, metallex78 said:

Every time they start the Seeker when I’ve seen them live, I’m like, fuck yes... they’re playing the slow version of You’re Crazy... then I realise, ah shit... it’s that fucking shit Seeker song... 

One of THE worst songs they’ve (Axl) ever chosen to cover. I absolutely hate it, and it’s long overstayed it’s welcome by about 10 years

I think GNR's version of Slither tops that! hahaha

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, metallex78 said:

you forget 'I feel good"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

you forget 'I feel good"

That wasn't that bad. My only gripe was that they never got the verse intros correct! the band is supposed to wait for Axl, but they just put a straight 4 count, makes the whole thing sound way too square. They could have also added a bit more texture during the verse, it sounded a bit weak considering how many people are on the stage!

BHS and Slither are are great songs performed awfully