The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

4 hours ago, vloors said:

Axl didnt even bother laying down any new vocal parts, overdubs, nothing. And the producer cut/copied scrap parts to fill the songs.

I doubt Axl cares at all and these leftovers were just given to slash/duff to get them off his back about recording new material.

Axl didn’t lay down new vocals for two reasons: one being he simply didn’t have the ability to synchronize his current vocal ability to the efforts made all those years ago, secondly he felt the vocals were more than sufficient, which when you think about it, was really the case. The vocal quality didn’t ruin either song. 

Axl likes to come off as not caring, but it’s clear to me that he covets the GNR name. Based on the name alone he expected more from the public, he really felt HS would be better received. I believe Absurd was released as a barrier to divide the criticism verses the acclaim. Unfortunately there was no acclaim, and frankly not much criticism either in the case of Absurd. They were both essentially overlooked.

I do agree with your statement regarding getting Slash and Duff off his back. I think that played into it as well, but in a less hostile fashion. That’s why I suggested it was a test run. I believe Slash may have in some ways “assured” Axl that the tune will catch on and they can use that as a gauge and move on from there. I think that’s where it all ended..

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

I saw that.  There were some good songs on there.  Perhaps is a great track :/ The lyrics about being the only one left and perhaps being wrong make me wonder if Axl was reflecting on the situation he found himself in at that point of his life and the band.  Great song.  Sad that it sits in the vault unappreciated.

I've been reflecting on this lately, there is so much good unreleased Guns N' roses material.  From the Illusions era you've got Just Another Sunday, Sentimental Movie, Bring It Back Home (I guess this was right after the Illusions?), then you've got all of the unreleased ChiDem stuff.  Entirely new music would be great, but just finalizing all of these tracks that have been leaked over the years and giving them a proper release would be maybe more ideal.

One thing I have noticed, and I don't mean to offend, I do think GN'R fans are hard to please.  I've lurked here for years and people were absolutely done with ChiDem era GN'R.  Fans are now bored with GN'R now being a legacy touring act (I can understand that) and feel ChiDem Axl/GN'R was more interesting than what we have now.  Fans are dying for release of the rest of ChiDem GN'R material now when before all they wanted to do was move on from it.

I think various fans have various tastes. It does appear that some folks adore the CD material again, but I think we can ascribe this to the fact that it seems to be highly likely – especially in consideration of the two "new" singles – that this is what the new record is mainly going to consist of, whether we like it or not. I.e. this "release the CD shelf material already" set is largely overlapping with the "release a new album already" set, in my view. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

interesting post cause how is it clear to you that "he covets"? to what end? a lot of dreamed up scenarios that you've clumsingly made up it seems. How do you know the reasons for why Axl didn't record new vocals or how he's feeling or what he likes? you do this often? 

When you’ve been following a person for the greater portion of your life and have been privy to nearly everything they have said or done, you get a fairly good understanding of certain nuances in their personality.

Certainly, it’s my personal take on things, I think everyone in the forum comprehends this. No one knows with any certainty, but we are left to ponder and hypothesize. Outside of this, we are left with little else to discuss. The lack of transparency and follow through from GNR are one of the great mysteries of the universe. 

10 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

It would've been huge news if either of those songs were their A-level material.

I like both of them, but they are Get in the Ring and Anything Goes -quality. Fun songs, but not heavy hitters. 

It could have been huge news if they'd released a great song and done basic promo. Simply tweeting about the songs and hoping the GNR name is enough to get people interested was always a bad plan.

Hardschool would've been a fine album song, but Absurd should've never been anything more than a b-side, neither were good enough to be their 'comeback singles'.

• Like 3

This is a very crazy theory (cause we're talking about GN'R) but who knows if the story of megan on a plane, where she tagged both gnr and slash, is connected to yesterday's photo where there were a lot of guitars piled up including what looked like a lap steel; if i remember correctly this summer slash bought one during the guns n roses tour, could be it's for a new song and they're getting together to record songs/videos before announcing the complete European tour with a single.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

Axl didn’t lay down new vocals for two reasons: one being he simply didn’t have the ability to synchronize his current vocal ability to the efforts made all those years ago, secondly he felt the vocals were more than sufficient, which when you think about it, was really the case. The vocal quality didn’t ruin either song. 

Axl likes to come off as not caring, but it’s clear to me that he covets the GNR name. Based on the name alone he expected more from the public, he really felt HS would be better received. I believe Absurd was released as a barrier to divide the criticism verses the acclaim. Unfortunately there was no acclaim, and frankly not much criticism either in the case of Absurd. They were both essentially overlooked.

I do agree with your statement regarding getting Slash and Duff off his back. I think that played into it as well, but in a less hostile fashion. That’s why I suggested it was a test run. I believe Slash may have in some ways “assured” Axl that the tune will catch on and they can use that as a gauge and move on from there. I think that’s where it all ended..

Not being flexible with changing tempos, updating or arranging vocals to fit a new instrumental can restrict what slash and duff do with the tracks. 

Usually instrumentals are done first then a vocalist will record their verses/chorus/bridge/over dub/additional parts to fit the song not the opposite.

Makes it abit messy and I hope axl will try to be more involved in future studio releases.

• Like 2

I thought both songs were great, personally, but how much impact can you really expect two songs from an old band to have that you do no promotion for whatsoever? 

Throw in the fact that most fans had already heard them a long time ago, and it's a big problem if you're wanting them to make an impact. 

My take on it though is that they weren't that bothered about them making an impact, based on the casual way they were thrown out there. 

Am the only one that really rates Absurd then?! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I thought both songs were great, personally, but how much impact can you really expect two songs from an old band to have that you do no promotion for whatsoever? 

Throw in the fact that most fans had already heard them a long time ago, and it's a big problem if you're wanting them to make an impact. 

My take on it though is that they weren't that bothered about them making an impact, based on the casual way they were thrown out there. 

Am the only one that really rates Absurd then?! 

Nah - I like it. It’s an obnoxious rocker with energy. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

I really don't think Axl cares about the success of these songs. If he did, he wouldn't have chosen to resurrect Silkworms of all songs. Imagine bringing a 20-year old song back out, doing musical surgery on it to include current members, making it even shittier than before, only to care about a potentially mediocre reception. Axl has some odd tendencies, but that would take the cake.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

I really don't think Axl cares about the success of these songs. If he did, he wouldn't have chosen to resurrect Silkworms of all songs. Imagine bringing a 20-year old song back out, doing musical surgery on it to include current members, making it even shittier than before, only to care about a potentially mediocre reception. Axl has some odd tendencies, but that would take the cake.

I don't think the song being old had any relevance to its success since to the vast majority of the public it was new. 

I prefer how they handled Absurd over Hard Skool, since Absurd is closer to the CD era version of the song. (The one that leaked with Bumble)

My main gripe is I feel the guitars are mixed too high, and Brain's drums too low. The drums on the 2000 Village version are killer! (Josh, I assume) I do like Slash's playing on Absurd, I wish they kept one of Bucket's solos on it, at least you can hear him in the beginning and also faintly towards the end as the song wrapped up. 

Not that it's really an excuse, but when people talk about all these legacy bands that are even older than GNR putting out new music to tour...those albums don't really make any waves on sales or radio play. The only major band that has seemed to buck that trend more than once is AC/DC. Gotta put out new music to tour is just the way things were always done, but it isn't at all necessary for legacy artists. That stuff doesn't sell, people aren't going to Rolling Stones concerts in 2023 to hear new music. It's a little different with Guns, but not much. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stro said:

Not that it's really an excuse, but when people talk about all these legacy bands that are even older than GNR putting out new music to tour...those albums don't really make any waves on sales or radio play. The only major band that has seemed to buck that trend more than once is AC/DC. Gotta put out new music to tour is just the way things were always done, but it isn't at all necessary for legacy artists. That stuff doesn't sell, people aren't going to Rolling Stones concerts in 2023 to hear new music. It's a little different with Guns, but not much. 

The big difference is these bands have ridiculous amounts of material to tap into….GNR doesn’t. We know there is stuff that will arrive….as per usual it’s a case of when.

Maybe I’m delusional but a new GNR record marketed correctly could still be an ‘event’.