The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

5 hours ago, mystery said:

Duff and Slash pretty much can do whatever when GNR isn't on tour as a creative and touring outlet while Guns N' Roses is the legacy gig where they make a lot of money. In the 1990's post-UYI tour it was the opposite because nothing was happening with the band and they wanted to do something.

The sad realization is all the conflict then was about pushing Guns N' Rose's forward but the same guys back in the band who left in 1996-97 know full well not to touch on that issue and are fine touring the same setlists for the financial security.

I think its still a hard thing for people to grasp that even with Duff and Slash back it hasn't changed the dynamics or any kind of urgency to record a new album and it feels like they know that too. Transport Slash from 1995-96 into 2016 and that guy would've gotten fired a long time ago for actually testing Axl and giving a shit.

100 per cent. Slash and Duff returning has meant fuck all other than us getting a chance to see them play onstage together, a novelty that has worn very thin now. 

Other than higher ticket prices, it's exactly the same as it was before they returned now. They seem to have as much sway as Bumblefoot and Stinson had in terms of moving forwards. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

By the time CD was finished there were 26 completed tracks. 14 of those completed tracks were released in 2008 obviously. This left 12 tracks, OMG was likely one of those 12, so was Silkworms/Absurd, and likely so was Going Down, and so was Jackie Chan/Hardskool. This leaves 8 tracks. Of those 8 tracks we can assume Atlas, Perhaps, & The General were probably vocally complete. This leave 5 tracks: Eye On You, State Of Grace and 3 others. Obviously I’m assuming EOY & SOG have been completed beyond what we know. 

Axl specifically said 32 in 2006. I can't find the interview, but i'll put a facebook link that quotes it. below. this was january 2006 too. we know there were more session in 2006 and 2007, with rumours that This I love wasnt even considered part of this 32. so perhaps its actually 33 songs with vocals in january 2006. its now feb 2023. though one should never assume, he's probably done some studio vocals at least once since then. especially when he could still sing in 2010. so theres still likely 15 or 16 songs with vocals. yes that list will include things like perhaps SOG atlas which we have heard in various states. but thats an albums worth of material even in the most conservative of estimates. Those 15 or 16 are on the basis axl hasnt written or recorded a single new song since 2006

https://www.facebook.com/GunsNRosesItaly/photos/a.1808336316044593/2827980550746826/?type=3

Edited by JimiRose

37 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

100 per cent. Slash and Duff returning has meant fuck all other than us getting a chance to see them play onstage together, a novelty that has worn very thin now. 

Other than higher ticket prices, it's exactly the same as it was before they returned now. They seem to have as much sway as Bumblefoot and Stinson had in terms of moving forwards. 

True. But still, I rather see them than fake GNR. It's only so often I can pretend that Axl is the only one on stage. That was wearing thin too.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

It may not be worth much and many many not choose to believe given his previous claims, but the one thing Fernando did give away during his Reddit posting spree is that Axl has continued to write post Chinese. Whether or not those will be with a band, who knows? DJ did mention Axl let him hear a load of Piano based stuff he had and passed it off as something he was working on. 

There will be a lot of material to choose from I think and if, like Chinese, it's predominantly vocals from '99, that certainly isn't a bad thing. 

11 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

True. But still, I rather see them than fake GNR. It's only so often I can pretend that Axl is the only one on stage. That was wearing thin too.

I always really enjoyed that era, but yep, that was definitely wearing thin, particularly when it became clear it was just going to be touring. Don't get me wrong - the return of Slash and Duff was a massive thrill for me. It's just that it's really worn off now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EvanG said:

Really? Still?

I don't get this post, I'm saying the album released almost 15 years ago and that 2008 will be 20 years in a short period of time. My perception of time doesn't see 2008 as that long ago so this post just comes off condescending. 

5 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

almost have this terrible feeling that when the veil is finally lifted, the amount of work Axl completed in all these years will be shockingly low. I hope to God I’m wrong but until proven otherwise, I’m maintaining the most conservative of estimates. 

Honestly the more time that passes the more I give credence to this school of thought. The village sessions were basically my holy grail but turned out to be essentially a half baked draft of the Chinese Democracy project. The release of Absurd and Hard Skool (using vocal elements from Eye On You) only enhances the credibility of this hypothesis.

6 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

I would not put much weight in that 32 number. That’s likely the total amount of collective material that was assembled and got beyond basic ideas and framework. Whether they manifested into anything, we could be guessing all day. Given Axl’s history, I wouldn’t count on it.

almost have this terrible feeling that when the veil is finally lifted, the amount of work Axl completed in all these years will be shockingly low. I hope to God I’m wrong but until proven otherwise, I’m maintaining the most conservative of estimates. 

That's the point I tried to express 2 pages ago, I think that Hardskool and Absurd being the first singles just shows us an idea of what It is done and what not, and probably the amount of work is very low.

• Like 1

My guess is the recordings don't have vocals and Axl is incapable of doing anything.  Maybe he's just too lazy but it's been decades so he would have done something at some point.

Why don't they just re-do the songs as soft-acoustic numbers like Eric Clapton did with "Layla"?  It would be a novelty, easier to sing, it's not like the public would miss the original versions since they were never released.  Don't have to write anything brand new and if those tracks were so wonderful, this would show everybody.

38 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

My guess is the recordings don't have vocals and Axl is incapable of doing anything.  Maybe he's just too lazy but it's been decades so he would have done something at some point.

Why don't they just re-do the songs as soft-acoustic numbers like Eric Clapton did with "Layla"?  It would be a novelty, easier to sing, it's not like the public would miss the original versions since they were never released.  Don't have to write anything brand new and if those tracks were so wonderful, this would show everybody.

No Man. No 

23 hours ago, allwaystired said:

pure speculation, but considering how much Slash quitting Gn'R has hurt Axl according to shit he said in the past and I imagine Duff quitting also had a negative effect on him, I think that while I believe that it didn't turn Axl prolific all of a sudden, it could lead to more cool shit being released in the future that without the reunion would not even be possible. I mean, the box sets and the 2 tracks Axl did release with this lineup is not nothing and even if it is defined as a very small step, I think it's an indication that shit is not exactly the same in the releasing department.

when Bumble was in the band, the vibe I was getting is that Axl had no interest in using Bumble's brand new ideas. Do you think it's the same with Slash and Duff? 2 people that were part of the classic lineup, accepted as the real deal, and can instantly make Axl's old unreleased material sound more like Gn'R?

he already let them rerecord some CD era material and released Absurd and HS so maybe he's just as slow as ever when it comes to actually releasing it, but at least Slash is talking about moving forward and Axl does shit he didn't do in the past like releasing material digitally first and like I've mentioned the box sets.

there seems to be a small shift in attitude at least and I would imagine that just knowing that Slash and Duff are there to help Axl out with recording whatever he wants, new and old material, means he might go for it, maybe not now, but hopefully at least before it's too late.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, mystery said:

I don't get this post, I'm saying the album released almost 15 years ago and that 2008 will be 20 years in a short period of time. My perception of time doesn't see 2008 as that long ago so this post just comes off condescending. 

What's not to get? It's surprising your mind can still be blown by something so obvious. Unless it's not really blown but you just want to repeat how ridiculous it is, something that is being repeated on here every day.

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

pure speculation, but considering how much Slash quitting Gn'R has hurt Axl according to shit he said in the past and I imagine Duff quitting also had a negative effect on him, I think that while I believe that it didn't turn Axl prolific all of a sudden, it could lead to more cool shit being released in the future that without the reunion would not even be possible. I mean, the box sets and the 2 tracks Axl did release with this lineup is not nothing and even if it is defined as a very small step, I think it's an indication that shit is not exactly the same in the releasing department.

when Bumble was in the band, the vibe I was getting is that Axl had no interest in using Bumble's brand new ideas. Do you think it's the same with Slash and Duff? 2 people that were part of the classic lineup, accepted as the real deal, and can instantly make Axl's old unreleased material sound more like Gn'R?

he already let them rerecord some CD era material and released Absurd and HS so maybe he's just as slow as ever when it comes to actually releasing it, but at least Slash is talking about moving forward and Axl does shit he didn't do in the past like releasing material digitally first and like I've mentioned the box sets.

there seems to be a small shift in attitude at least and I would imagine that just knowing that Slash and Duff are there to help Axl out with recording whatever he wants, new and old material, means he might go for it, maybe not now, but hopefully at least before it's too late.

Agreed - the Ritz Blu-ray release was amazing, and without Slash and Duff back in the fold, it probably never would have seen the light of day.