Matt Sorum's Autobiography

52 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The "ham and jam" part - also missing - was originally (in the leaked version) in the chapter about Slash leaving and Matt's last days in the band. That chapter has also been heavily edited in the kindle version (almost all the negative comments about Axl have been taken out and instead Matt has added a bit saying that he now understands that Axl wanted dedicated band mates.

I guess he want to avoid an Axl lawsuit.

Some of the other stories that have been taken out in the kindle version (there are more):

- (In the chapter about when Matt met Axl for the first time at the Scarp Bar): Axl tells Ian Astbury that he wants to fund the Nicaraguan army.

- Axl wants to give Matt a bigger share of the Illusions' royalties, but then Matt is told by GN'R's lawyer that Slash, the "cunning businessman", disagrees (the Axl part is still there, the Slash part is gone).

- Axl and Matt smoke opium together.

- Matt storms into Axl's dressing room before the show in Dallas with the intention to confront him for being late, but sees Axl having something like a panic attack and being afraid to take the stage.

- Axl doesn't want to play in Santiago after he's informed that the stadium is the same place where people were murdered by the Pinochet regime.

- Matt being fucked over royalties off the Illusions after he was out of the band.

@RochelleRochelle, are these stories included in your copy?

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

Just now, MaskingApathy said:

What about the Stephanie Seymour grabbing his balls story, is that gone? And Matt trying out Heidi's new girls?

Yeah, the Stephanie Seymour story was gone in the first "amended" version (before the release of the book was postponed for the second time). It wasn't there in the advance copy @Gambit83 got last year when he interviewed Matt. I suppose the Heidi story was also gone by then, as well as the story about Matt's "system" of picking groupies backstage.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, the Stephanie Seymour story was gone in the first "amended" version (before the release of the book was postponed for the second time). It wasn't there in the advance copy @Gambit83 got last year when he interviewed Matt. I suppose the Heidi story was also gone by then, as well as the story about Matt's "system" of picking groupies backstage.

So this book is kind of boring now.

Has anything been added to the new version? Like any new stories or info about music stuff?

21 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Some of the other stories that have been taken out in the kindle version (there are more):

- (In the chapter about when Matt met Axl for the first time at the Scarp Bar): Axl tells Ian Astbury that he wants to fund the Nicaraguan army.

- Axl wants to give Matt a bigger share of the Illusions' royalties, but then Matt is told by GN'R's lawyer that Slash, the "cunning businessman", disagrees (the Axl part is still there, the Slash part is gone).

- Axl and Matt smoke opium together.

- Matt storms into Axl's dressing room before the show in Dallas with the intention to confront him for being late, but sees Axl having something like a panic attack and being afraid to take the stage.

- Axl doesn't want to play in Santiago after he's informed that the stadium is the same place where people were murdered by the Pinochet regime.

- Matt being fucked over royalties off the Illusions after he was out of the band.

@RochelleRochelle, are these stories included in your copy?

Yes, side note, Axl smoking weed with Matt's mom was a new story for me🤣

9 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

What about the Stephanie Seymour grabbing his balls story, is that gone? And Matt trying out Heidi's new girls?

Picking Heidi's girls was still there

Edited by RochelleRochelle

20 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Has anything been added to the new version? Like any new stories or info about music stuff?

No, I don't think so. In fact, he has taken out some stuff from the chapters about the recording of UYI as well, for example a bit where he said that he considered Clink more like a babysitter than a producer and a part about Slash recording overdubs.

Even an ex-member is an Axl yes-man now. :lol:

Ok, just kidding. But I think the editor may had some fact-checks for some of those stories and/or legal advisors.  Or maybe Slash and Duff promised something. I don't know, but I never really believed in his shit, now that he's backing off, even less. 

Thanks @Blackstar for taking care of us.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Even an ex-member is an Axl yes-man now. :lol:

Ok, just kidding. But I think the editor may had some fact-checks for some of those stories and/or legal advisors.  Or maybe Slash and Duff promised something. I don't know, but I never really believed in his shit, now that he's backing off, even less. 

Thanks @Blackstar for taking care of us.

Who knows what the case is, but he has evidently edited out everything that could potentially piss Axl off (including some rather cool stories, like the opium smoking and the Dallas incident). He has even taken out the disparaging comments about Paul Tobias' guitar playing :lol:

He has kept some of the negative stuff about Slash (e.g. about Snakepit and the RRHOF), but the wording is much softer.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He has kept some of the negative stuff about Slash (e.g. about Snakepit and the RRHOF), but the wording is much softer.

Can you share example? Like about the RRHOF.

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Slash and Duff promised something.

Maybe he's repaired his relationship with them since writing the first version, so now his feelings aren't as critical. Seems like him and Slash are friendly at least.

Edited by MaskingApathy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Can you share example? Like about the RRHOF.

My bad. I was somehow under the impression that he changed something in the chapter about the RRHOF, but I checked again and it's exactly the same in the two versions - he has kept it all.

The stories about Slash having someone else do "his dirty work for him" (having Matt get rid of the Buckcherry guys) and firing one of VR managers behind Matt's back are also intact. 

He has changed some parts in the chapter about Snakepit (the bolded has been edited out):

I guess this was the moment when I stopped really trusting Slash. But at the same time, I also came to accept that side of him; I now know exactly who he is. Back then, though, I wasn’t expecting it, and it really hurt me. I was really bummed out about the whole thing, because I genuinely thought we were going to form something new on our own. But instead, it just became his solo project.

We went into his house and he played me the record. I knew I didn’t like the singer after just one song, and I told him so. “I think he sucks.”

“Come on, man,” Slash said. “Let’s try another song.”

“Here’s what you can do, Slash,” I told him. “You can replace my drums with some other drummer, and take my shit off that fucking record.”

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe you just got the version without the 1280px-Parental_Advisory_label.svg.png
sticker. :lol: Either way, what he said about Duff sounds ridiculous and made up. I mean, Duff played several times with Frank before. He knew what he was getting into and obviously could play with him.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Haha 1

What an absolute mess of a release. 

It certainly sounds like some of the original hardbacks have been sent out. I'd say they'll probably send out the edited version in a second pressing.....but I wouldn't be so sure this book will get more than one pressing. 

• Like 2

So in this new version does Matt give Axl a handshake and tell him Paul Huge is a great guitar player on his way out instead of the argument that actually happened? Rule of thumb should be unless you're out of fucks to give be as neutral and non-controversial about past events as possible. Whatever Slash said in the press and wrote in his book was a reason why there was still bad blood between him and Axl. 

• Like 1

Wow, this was an exhibition on how to botch a book release.

I’m glad we got to see the original version though. Matt had slowly been amassing a catalog of douchiness over the years and that version of the book was his masterpiece.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I got my non edited hard cover via Fruugo from Ria Christie Collection in England. I think the GNR-related stuff is awesome and amusing (compared to all other GNR books (and I read em all)) even though there's a whole lotta missprints - they would have had a nerd (like us) to go thru it before printing. For example, Matt seems to have mixed up the Tokyo 92 and 93 experiences.

https://www.fruugo.se/double-talkin-jive-by-matt-sorumleif-erikssonmartin-svensson/p-63642295-128361898?language=en

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1