Matt Sorum's Autobiography

20 hours ago, Underhardy said:

Cmon man his vocals on the debut Snakepit record I regard as some of the best rock n roll vocals, period. Laying it all out there, giving it 110%. Amazing power and feeling

I don't know about the best rock n roll vocals, period but I'd say one of the best rock n roll vocals by the mid 90s and probably since then.

I agree with amazing power and feeling. That's simply a fact and nothing to argue about.

12 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I don't know about the best rock n roll vocals, period but I'd say one of the best rock n roll vocals by the mid 90s and probably since then.

lol. There are million bands out there and the guy who beat him by far since then recorded those vocals on next album with the same band, he's called Rod Jackson and maybe you heard that album.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

lol. There are million bands out there and the guy who beat him by far since then recorded those vocals on next album with the same band, he's called Rod Jackson and maybe you heard that album.

Of course I've heard of Rod Jackson but it seems that you haven't heard of personal preference.

Btw I said one of the best, not the best.

Edited by Free Bird

9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Of course I've heard of Rod Jackson but it seems that you haven't heard of personal preference.

Btw I said one of the best, not the best.

No I just found it funny you chose to say that about the worse of the 2 singers of the same band. Like it's not even close to how Rods voice works with Slashs material, probably the only singer that has even come close to Axl in terms of this.

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

No I just found it funny you chose to say that about the worse of the 2 singers of the same band. Like it's not even close to how Rods voice works with Slashs material, probably the only singer that has even come close to Axl in terms of this.

Again, personal preference. I love both records and think both singers did a great job. But I definitely prefer Erics voice. I couldn't care less if you think it's funny and I'm surely not gonna tell you what you have to like.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Again, personal preference. I love both records and think both singers did a great job. But I definitely prefer Erics voice. I couldn't care less if you think it's funny and I'm surely not gonna tell you what you have to like.

Well, I guess? Rod also IMO sang the first Snakepit material better than Eric, there is simply no guy out there that can compete with that monster voice, it just makes pretty much any song better instantly just the way Axls did.

One of the biggest rock tragedies that Rod couldn't get past drugs to make it work. Eric in comparison, there's millions of guys out there that sound like that. Still prefer him to Myles though, I'll say that.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Well, I guess? Rod also IMO sang the first Snakepit material better than Eric, there is simply no guy out there that can compete with that monster voice, it just makes pretty much any song better instantly just the way Axls did.

One of the biggest rock tragedies that Rod couldn't get past drugs to make it work. Eric in comparison, there's millions of guys out there that sound like that. Still prefer him to Myles though, I'll say that.

Always preferred Eric's voice Rods. Hands down. 

But don't know much about Rod, knew there were drug issues, but how you've worded it - I'm off to go read about him. 

Could someone with one of the earlier copies (that had the stuff that was later removed) tell me how many pages their copy has? Curious on the difference between it and the newer, revised version. Curious on how many pages the current published one has too. I'm on the hunt to find an early copy.

EDIT: All the listings I see so far have 304 pages noted. I wonder if both versions have the same UPC or ISBN?

Edited by Sweersa
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Could someone with one of the earlier copies (that had the stuff that was later removed) tell me how many pages their copy has? Curious on the difference between it and the newer, revised version. Curious on how many pages the current published one has too. I'm on the hunt to find an early copy.

EDIT: All the listings I see so far have 304 pages noted. I wonder if both versions have the same UPC or ISBN?

I have the kindle leaked version and it has 334 pages

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2023 at 10:07 PM, Dacroix said:

I read the original version and I remember copying some parts in a notepad

AFTER TOURING FOR SIXTEEN MONTHS STRAIGHT, I developed a kind of 
constant anxiety. It felt like I never got any peace, and by the time we 
played the Astrodome in Houston on September 4, 1992, I’d suddenly had 
enough. 
The whole band had taken a bow, like usual, to thank the crowd from 
the stage when Axl, Duff, and Slash went back out for a second go. 
I realized I was furious, but I didn’t say anything until that evening, 
after we’d flown to Dallas and started the after-party with cocktails and 
blow in Duff’s room at the Four Seasons. 
“What the hell was that?” I said. 
“What?” said Duff, pretending not to know what I meant. 
“The three of you going out there alone.” 
Slash shrugged. “We started the band, so we get to take an extra bow.” 
“Fuck you guys,” I said. “I’m your drummer now, since your last one 
took too much heroin.” 
“Yeah, but we started the band,” Slash repeated. 
“Fuck you,” I shouted, storming out of the room.

-----

When he found out that the name of the band with Slash is going to be called "Slash's Snakepit" and not simply "Snakepit" as they talked, Slash told him it was Geffen idea to sell more: "I guess this was the moment when I stopped really trusting Slash. But  at the same time, I also came to accept that side of him; I now know exactly who he is".

----

Duff and I talked a lot about how we could find a replacement for Paul 
Tobias. Neither of us really believed that Slash had quit for good, but we 
couldn’t think of anyone to replace Paul. At least I couldn’t until I went 
down to Cirque du Soleil in Santa Monica and saw a band with a great 
guitarist. His name was Robin Finck. 
I called Axl right away. “Hey, Axl. I just saw this fucking cool guitar 
player.” 
For once, Axl sounded happy, and he said, “OK, I’m gonna go check 
him out.” 
A couple days later, Axl went to see Robin play. He called me back 
afterward. “Yeah, he’s gonna be great to replace Slash.” 
“No, no, no,” I said. “I meant for him to replace Paul Tobias. . . . Let’s 
get rid of Paul. Slash will come back.” 
But Axl had already made up his mind, and he repeated, “Nah, he’s 
gonna replace Slash.”

-----

About 2016 reunion:

Duff can’t even look me in the eye and tell the truth, and that’s what breaks my heart.

(...)

I continued to call Duff, but he was constantly evading me, and I realized he wasn’t telling the truth. “Duff, what’s going on?” I said.  “Well, Axl wants to use his drummer,” he said. “But the guy can’t even play the drums. I’ve gotta talk to Axl and say I really can’t play with this guy.”  “Wait! Back up!” I said. “What do you mean you don’t think he’s very  good? And you can’t fucking tell Axl? That would be the first thing I’d say  if I was the bass player and you were the drummer. Why do you think Iasked you to play in the Vampires? Because you’re my favorite bass  player.” 
“Come on, man.” 
“No. . . . Go to Axl and tell him you want me on drums. Period. Now’s  the time.” 
“Oh, man,” Duff said, his voice kind of shrinking. “I already signed the deal.” 
“What deal?” 
But he didn’t want to say any more. 

A week or so later, I was due to play in my own all-star band, Kings of  Chaos, in Cabo San Lucas. Duff was booked to play the gig, and he flew down on the day with his wife. As we were sitting in the van on the way to  the show, I asked him again, “So what’s going on?”  “We’re just rehearsing with these guys. We’re trying to wait till Axl makes his decision.”

(...)

Got a text message from Axl’s  manager, Fernando, who I had first met (along with his mother, Beta)  when he was a young kid from Brazil that Axl decided to take under his  wing. 
“Hey there bud,” he wrote. “How are you? Just reaching out to see how  your schedule is looking. Wondering if you’re interested in joining the  band on a few shows and a few songs. Let me know.”  I stared at my phone; I could hardly believe my eyes. I replied a little  later, copying my manager, saying I would check my calendar. Johnny and I hadn’t even left the island before my manager called to 
say that Fernando had offered to pay all my travel expenses and hotel costs if I agreed to join the band. That was the only form of payment I would  get. I asked my manager to get back to them with a polite no thanks.

(...)

“I don’t know why you didn’t come play with us when we called to  ask.”  “We?” I said. “Why didn’t you call me yourself instead of getting your  manager to do it?”  “Well, I thought that management could handle it.”  “That ten-year-old kid?”  “He’s not ten anymore,” Duff said, “he’s thirty-five.” We sat in silence for a few minutes. Duff looked down at the table the  way he always had when he felt uncomfortable or cornered. “There  would’ve been money,” he eventually said. 
I stared at him, at a loss for what to say. After a while, I said, “One good thing about all this is that Izzy and I started hanging out again.”  As the words left my mouth, Duff got a dark look in his eye. “Fuck Izzy!” he snapped. I knew his reaction was because of Izzy turning them down, so I calmly said, “Well . . . Izzy says fuck you too.”  Duff didn’t reply. Instead, he just poked at his food—he didn’t really seem hungry—and then checked his watch and said, “I’ve gotta go.” 
“Where?” I asked. 
“Rehearsal.” 
“Rehearsal? Didn’t you guys just get off a three-month tour? Why are you rehearsing?” 
“Because we don’t have you on drums,” Duff said. 
We got up. As we were leaving the restaurant, two guys came over to 
us, wanting to take photos. 
Duff froze and explained that it wasn’t the right moment. I immediately knew why: he was afraid Axl would find out he had been to 
see me.

What I do know for sure is that our friendship wasn’t the only thing  that had ended—our twenty-eight-year musical partnership was over too. I wouldn’t be able to call him or Slash and ask if they wanted to play with 
me. The GNR machine had taken them back. I knew I wouldn’t be able to 
rely on those guys any longer. For the first time, I felt completely on my 
own.

And with that Matt burned three important bridges!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Does he talk shit about Axl because I know they hated each other.  Everyone has their version of stuff. I never liked Matt so won't read his book.

I think Matt's ego got a hold of him!

I can't see Matt lasting a month with Axl and Slash without bringing a wave of negativity, equal demands and ego trips. He's in a weird place.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 1:07 AM, Dacroix said:

“Rehearsal? Didn’t you guys just get off a three-month tour? Why are you rehearsing?” 
“Because we don’t have you on drums,” Duff said. 

I mean.. do we really believe Duff is bitching about Frank? 
I of course could be very wrong but I just can’t imagine Duff doing that.

To me it sounds like Matt is trying to big him self up and cause trouble hoping current GN’R members will come across these statements and question them. There may be a reason he’s not behind the kit… snidey stuff like this. They know him better than we do 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Does he talk shit about Axl because I know they hated each other.  Everyone has their version of stuff. I never liked Matt so won't read his book.

I didn't care for Matt's drumming style on the Use Your Illusion records. It came across as rather straightforward and technical, and lacking in a rock n' roll feel like Adler brought to Guns.

I did think his short solo on the Ritz '91 blu-ray was good, though, so I'm perplexed as to why his techniques on the albums seemed so robotic.

If Axl wanted Matt back in any way, he would have invited him to guest on the NITL tour for a couple of songs, like what was done with Adler. Frank wasn't going anywhere.