Matt Sorum's Autobiography

6 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Seems like it, not sure when it was recorded though. Might've been a while ago. He's still been friendly with Slash for a while though.

I wonder if it's from when they were trying out singers after Scott was out. It could even be from when Scott was still in the band and they were writing for the third album.

Just now, Blackstar said:

I wonder if it's from when they were trying out singers after Scott was out. It could even be from when Scott was still in the band and they were writing for the third album.

The song itself might've been written back then but I'm not sure when it was recorded. I haven't actually listened to it yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kelmi said:

I rented a copy from Finnish library and it was a hard cover leaked version. It had all the RRHOF, Snakepit, Heidis, Axl drug story etc. So the leaked version can also be found hard cover.

Yes, I guess the publisher had printed copies of the original version before Matt decided he wanted to edit it, so when the book was finally released officially, the hard cover versions were from that first batch.

On 5/13/2022 at 7:01 AM, Blackstar said:

My bad. I was somehow under the impression that he changed something in the chapter about the RRHOF, but I checked again and it's exactly the same in the two versions - he has kept it all.

The stories about Slash having someone else do "his dirty work for him" (having Matt get rid of the Buckcherry guys) and firing one of VR managers behind Matt's back are also intact. 

He has changed some parts in the chapter about Snakepit (the bolded has been edited out):

I guess this was the moment when I stopped really trusting Slash. But at the same time, I also came to accept that side of him; I now know exactly who he is. Back then, though, I wasn’t expecting it, and it really hurt me. I was really bummed out about the whole thing, because I genuinely thought we were going to form something new on our own. But instead, it just became his solo project.

We went into his house and he played me the record. I knew I didn’t like the singer after just one song, and I told him so. “I think he sucks.”

“Come on, man,” Slash said. “Let’s try another song.”

“Here’s what you can do, Slash,” I told him. “You can replace my drums with some other drummer, and take my shit off that fucking record.”

Wonder what he has against Eric Dover? They basically made a very gnr sounding record  

8 minutes ago, Spaghetti4twenty said:

Wonder what he has against Eric Dover? They basically made a very gnr sounding record  

I guess he didn't rate him as a singer.

He said in an interview from 2002 that he didn't like the record much and that it sounded "dated".

16 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I guess he didn't rate him as a singer.

He said in an interview from 2002 that he didn't like the record much and that it sounded "dated".

It did sound dated, but in an odd way that gave it it's charm. It wasn't chasing trends or trying to be current and I liked it for that. 

46 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

The song itself might've been written back then but I'm not sure when it was recorded. I haven't actually listened to it yet.

Maybe Matt decided to embrace the "Frankenstein" approach, so drums, bass and guitars are old and the vocals are new :lol:

The King Of Chaos album will be released late next year, so I guess it hasn't been recorded yet. Gilby is a member of Kings Of Chaos currently, but he's not on this song.

3 minutes ago, ryanf23 said:

Can someone bullet point the things that were missing from the edited book? Like the axl drug story mentioned earlier

I have highlighted the main stories that have been edited out a few pages back:

Plus:

- Most of the chapter about the reunion (and the conversations between Matt and Duff).

- Big parts of the chapter about the events that led to Matt's firing.

- The Stephanie Seymour story.

- Most of the stories about groupies etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shacklermyrye said:

It did sound dated, but in an odd way that gave it it's charm. It wasn't chasing trends or trying to be current and I liked it for that. 

I agree. It has its own character.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe Matt decided to embrace the "Frankenstein" approach, so drums, bass and guitars are old and the vocals are new :lol:

The King Of Chaos album will be released late next year, so I guess it hasn't been recorded yet. Gilby is a member of Kings Of Chaos currently, but he's not on this song.

Yeah it seems like this is the only song that was ready. I guess at some point Matt might do some interviews about it and maybe we'll find out the answer then.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, I guess the publisher had printed copies of the original version before Matt decided he wanted to edit it, so when the book was finally released officially, the hard cover versions were from that first batch.

I have a hard cover myself but unfortunately it's the edited version. Signed copy though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree. It has its own character.

I wish Slash would write more songs that sound like they come from that album. I was really surprised by Whatever Gets You By on 4, it sounds like it came straight off of Five O Clock Somewhere instrumentally. All other Slash albums don't sound like it, there's a nasty edge to it. Also Matts drumming on Neither Can I is probably the most groove-laden playing he's ever done, he didn't play like that on any UYI track.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Kelmi said:

I rented a copy from Finnish library and it was a hard cover leaked version. It had all the RRHOF, Snakepit, Heidis, Axl drug story etc. So the leaked version can also be found hard cover.

I wonder how one can determine if a physical copy is the leaked version. I'd only be interested in that one. 

21 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I have highlighted the main stories that have been edited out a few pages back:

Plus:

- Most of the chapter about the reunion (and the conversations between Matt and Duff).

- Big parts of the chapter about the events that led to Matt's firing.

- The Stephanie Seymour story.

- Most of the stories about groupies etc.

Sounds like they removed the good stuff.

11 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I wonder how one can determine if a physical copy is the leaked version. I'd only be interested in that one. 

The number of pages could be a hint. It's likely that the original version has more pages (since it has more content that was removed in the edited version).

29 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The number of pages could be a hint. It's likely that the original version has more pages (since it has more content that was removed in the edited version).

Good point! I suppose I could message a few people selling them on eBay to get an idea of that. Thanks :) 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 1:06 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

I wish Slash would write more songs that sound like they come from that album. I was really surprised by Whatever Gets You By on 4, it sounds like it came straight off of Five O Clock Somewhere instrumentally. All other Slash albums don't sound like it, there's a nasty edge to it. Also Matts drumming on Neither Can I is probably the most groove-laden playing he's ever done, he didn't play like that on any UYI track.

That's probably the best song on the record (Whatevr Gets You By) and it was even better live.