Matt Sorum's Autobiography

• 2 months later...

There is a story now making the online rounds from this upcoming book about Matt knocking out Uncle Joey from Full House after John Stamos wedding in 1998. I’m 90% sure this wasn’t in the version we read 2 years ago. It will be interesting to see what else was added/subtracted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LunsJail said:

There is a story now making the online rounds from this upcoming book about Matt knocking out Uncle Joey from Full House after John Stamos wedding in 1998. I’m 90% sure this wasn’t in the version we read 2 years ago. It will be interesting to see what else was added/subtracted.

This story was in the old version. It's mentioned both in the preface of the book as well as in chapter 48. He mentions how that was the reason he went in to rehab.

42 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Apparently the book comes out next week on the 10th.

For Matt’s sake, I’m really hoping it’s severely altered from the 2020 edition!

If anyone on here is getting the book, and read the previous release, I’d love a comparison later on! :)

16 hours ago, jamillos said:

Just the page with Frank and Duff, that's the hottest stuff. If it's not there, he's a chickenshit, or they got to him.

I think it was left out, as well as the Stephanie Seymour limo story

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

I think it was left out, as well as the Stephanie Seymour limo story

Interesting!
That then sparks the question, was it removed because it was fabricated or because he got confronted by Duff or someone else about it?

I wonder if he is as harsh against Slash as he was in the old release? He basically said that they where never really friends and that Slash always had something nefarious up his sleeve in the previous release.

• Like 1

So strange that this is coming out almost two years later.

On one hand, maybe the pandemic was the best thing to happen to Matt as it relates to his personal relationships with the GN'R guys. Clearly, he included the salacious bits to get the attention of Axl/Slash/Duff. It appears to have worked. As it stands, only a small subset of the internet got to read these details, and now they are not as widely published as they would have been had the book been widely released in 2020. I know a lot of people are calling it "pathetic" that he may have bowed to demands of the other guys, but I honestly thought including some of those passages (i.e., Stephanie hitting on Matt and Duff shit-talking Frank) reflected poorly on Matt, and seemed to be there just to "rub salt in the wound" and stroke his own ego. Matt could have still gotten across the points he was trying to make (Stephanie was crazy and Slash and Duff were not forthright with Matt when it came to returning to Guns N' Roses) just as effectively without those bits added. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

So strange that this is coming out almost two years later.

On one hand, maybe the pandemic was the best thing to happen to Matt as it relates to his personal relationships with the GN'R guys. Clearly, he included the salacious bits to get the attention of Axl/Slash/Duff. It appears to have worked. As it stands, only a small subset of the internet got to read these details, and now they are not as widely published as they would have been had the book been widely released in 2020. I know a lot of people are calling it "pathetic" that he may have bowed to demands of the other guys, but I honestly thought including some of those passages (i.e., Stephanie hitting on Matt and Duff shit-talking Frank) reflected poorly on Matt, and seemed to be there just to "rub salt in the wound" and stroke his own ego. Matt could have still gotten across the points he was trying to make (Stephanie was crazy and Slash and Duff were not forthright with Matt when it came to returning to Guns N' Roses) just as effectively without those bits added. 

I totally agree with this! They biggest problem I have with Matt's book is how he, even though he was in full control of the narrative, managed to make him self look like a complete ass in just about every single situation he depicted.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Swedish said:

I totally agree with this! They biggest problem I have with Matt's book is how he, even though he was in full control of the narrative, managed to make him self look like a complete ass in just about every single situation he depicted.

bc he is

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, darkside259 said:

bc he is

yeah sometimes douchey famous people are not aware enough to even appear to be cool. I'm a big fan of how douchey Matt seems to be. Great drummer though. He just seems to be in love with himself and it's very important for everyone to know how cool he is.

• Like 3

On 5/5/2022 at 12:52 PM, Swedish said:

This story was in the old version. It's mentioned both in the preface of the book as well as in chapter 48. He mentions how that was the reason he went in to rehab.

I stand corrected.

I think Matt may have edited this book because of the negative reaction the leak got. Pretty much anyone who read it came away with a lower opinion of the guy.

• Like 3

The release of the book was postponed twice.

In the "amended" version (advance copies of which were sent to journalists) after the leaked one, the Stephanie Seymour story was removed, but the Duff/Frank story was still there and was even partially included in a promo interview with Rolling Stone (before the release was postponed for a second time), so it has made the rounds beyond the fan forums:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/matt-sorum-guns-n-roses-book-interview-1215822/

In recent interviews he said he left a lot of "sexual stuff" out and that he edited the book to "make it better":

https://www.spin.com/2022/04/matt-sorum-double-talkin-jive-interview/

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-use-your-illusion-same-day/

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

This book still isn't out, seriously? I feel like I read it going on two years or so ago now. Is Matt waiting to release this when a new GNR record drops so he can maximize publicity? 'Cause if that's what he's waiting for, his book is never gonna come out.

• Haha 2

Reading the parts from where he joins the band now; a few things that are noticeable:

The first offer he got, $1500 a week, was really bad, he negotiated s better one

He says Slash gave him a shit deal on the record, ‘half a point’ whatever that means?

He describes Slash as a cunning businessman, almost makes him sound a bit crafty

By contrast he describes Axl as a ‘giver’, financially generous with gifts etc

The story about Matt’s Mum stealing Axl’s weed pipe?! And his rabbi coke dealer?! 

There’s some funny shit in this book so far..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

This book still isn't out, seriously? I feel like I read it going on two years or so ago now. Is Matt waiting to release this when a new GNR record drops so he can maximize publicity? 'Cause if that's what he's waiting for, his book is never gonna come out.

May 10

I've said before the only parts that would be of any interest is going into depth on the post 93 period and his relationship with Axl then. I'm sure he describes his exit after going off on Paul Tobias but I'm curious if there was tension built before that.

So in a recent interview he says that he took a lot of things out of the book because she had a baby born. So whats gone missing? Im just gonna borrow this book from library after some time.. dont seem to be worth buying this.

11 minutes ago, Kelmi said:

So in a recent interview he says that he took a lot of things out of the book because she had a baby born. So whats gone missing? Im just gonna borrow this book from library after some time.. dont seem to be worth buying this.

I'm glad he's taken my advice then :lol:

I hope Baby never has to read that stuff about BOTH of her parents ever!

• Haha 3