With the COVID virus, is it becoming more apparent that GnR only cares about money?

4 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

The One You Loved is Gone was a 10/10 track from LTD.

LTD was a great refinement of the world on fire formula, safe yes but a great way to cement Slash's solo career.

I would like to hear some more experimentation from Slash (And absolutely think he should work with a different producer for the next Album). Seems like most people are afraid to push Slash in the studio.

Maybe a guest singer or two, I don't actually mind Myles but his vocal delivery tends to be very tame.

I like some tracks from it instrumentally but Myles isnt for me, aside of that, I think SMKC has been a very generic project since day one, I dont think commercial is the right word, but I think Slash lost a lot of his oldschool influences on these records compared to Snakepit.

It really lacks that bluesy sleazy he had on Its 5 o Clock and Aint Life Grand.

8 hours ago, WildStar said:

I loved Living The Dream. I think The Great Pretender is their best ever song. Boulevard of Broken Hearts, Lost Inside The Girl and Serve You Right are favourites too.

I only thought Sugar Cane, Slow Grind and Mind Your Manners were weak. 

Sugar Cane is one of my favorites. I agree Slow Grind isn't as good but it's not awful.

4 hours ago, default_ said:

I like some tracks from it instrumentally but Myles isnt for me, aside of that, I think SMKC has been a very generic project since day one, I dont think commercial is the right word, but I think Slash lost a lot of his oldschool influences on these records compared to Snakepit.

He's in a different place and headspace now. Although I think some of those SMKC riffs still have the bluesy sleazy.

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Sugar Cane is one of my favorites. I agree Slow Grind isn't as good but it's not awful.

He's in a different place and headspace now. Although I think some of those SMKC riffs still have the bluesy sleazy.

I don't hate them. Just not that strong for me. Overall I loved the album and thought the songs worked well live

• Like 1

12 hours ago, default_ said:

Exactly this. It's all too generic, and I think the word commercial is a fitting one.

For me it's Myles' voice which spoils all of these songs. It grates on me so much I can't listen to these later albums any more.  That said...

8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

... the bluesy sleazy riffs and ideas are still there, they're just lost behind the awful vocals. There was a video posted a while back of Slash being interviewed about one thing or the other and he's sitting just running through a few of the riffs from LTD by himself; they come across completely differently than on the album. I'll see if I can find it: 

On 23/04/2020 at 2:05 AM, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Rod Jackson was great. Great voice, pretty cool songwriter and was excellent at making good vocal melodies, a rarity in the post-grunge musical hell we've been living in. Myles has none of those traits. Shame that third Snakepit record they were working on never materialized.

Agreed! I didn't know they were working on a 3rd album. Do we have any more information about this? Any demos floating around? Songs that came up later in other Slash records?

In fact I think I'll blast Ain't Life Grand now. It's been a while since I heard that (I still have it on CD, though).

13 hours ago, default_ said:

I honestly think the thing is, besides Myles vocals (too clean for my taste), Slash's tone. I don't know, it just sounds weaker to me than his mid-90s work. It's like he's trying to get his AFD tone back, but it doesn't really sound like that too. It lacks the punch, the fat (yet bright) and heavy tone from back in those days.

18 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

The One You Loved is Gone was a 10/10 track from LTD.

LTD was a great refinement of the world on fire formula, safe yes but a great way to cement Slash's solo career.

I would like to hear some more experimentation from Slash (And absolutely think he should work with a different producer for the next Album). Seems like most people are afraid to push Slash in the studio.

Maybe a guest singer or two, I don't actually mind Myles but his vocal delivery tends to be very tame.

Well it's a shame that you ignored Slash for all those years 

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Agreed! I didn't know they were working on a 3rd album. Do we have any more information about this? Any demos floating around? Songs that came up later in other Slash records?

In fact I think I'll blast Ain't Life Grand now. It's been a while since I heard that (I still have it on CD, though).

I honestly think the thing is, besides Myles vocals (too clean for my taste), Slash's tone. I don't know, it just sounds weaker to me than his mid-90s work. It's like he's trying to get his AFD tone back, but it doesn't really sound like that too. It lacks the punch, the fat (yet bright) and heavy tone from back in those days.

It's a little bit less gainy but still sounds aggressive. If you look on YouTube there's some videos where the guy filming was right in front of the amps and you can hear the sound from the cabinet. Still sounds as strong as ever.

33 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

It's a little bit less gainy but still sounds aggressive. If you look on YouTube there's some videos where the guy filming was right in front of the amps and you can hear the sound from the cabinet. Still sounds as strong as ever.

But I'm talking about studio tone too. His tone is still great, don't get me wrong. But I do think it's lacking. 

Myles voice is annoying and I don’t care if he’s technically great or not. For me, it lacks originality, it’s generic, there’s no emotion. But I do think it’s pretty cool that the guy is always prepared, he’s consistent and you always know what you’ll get.

I love Slash to pieces and Snakepit has great songs. He’s still great and the best part of the GNR show.

IMHO the thing with new material, not only Slash’s but older musicians in general, is the lack of inspiration in the newer songs. I don’t know what it is, maybe as everything else in life creativity doesn’t last forever, doesn’t stay at the same level. There’s only a few artists that are still as great as ever.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/archive-news-jun-02-2001/

SLASH'S SNAKEPIT, the new band of former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash, will be returning to L.A. after the completion of their current headlining trek (which ends in Pittsburgh, PA on June 29th) to begin work on a new studio album, for which about 20 songs have been demoed so far. The as-yet-untitled effort is tentatively due to be recorded at the end of the year for an early 2002 release.

25 minutes ago, ChildOfTheMoon said:

Myles voice is annoying and I don’t care if he’s technically great or not. For me, it lacks originality, it’s generic, there’s no emotion. But I do think it’s pretty cool that the guy is always prepared, he’s consistent and you always know what you’ll get.

I love Slash to pieces and Snakepit has great songs. He’s still great and the best part of the GNR show.

IMHO the thing with new material, not only Slash’s but older musicians in general, is the lack of inspiration in the newer songs. I don’t know what it is, maybe as everything else in life creativity doesn’t last forever, doesn’t stay at the same level. There’s only a few artists that are still as great as ever.

Myles is singing like he's going to the office.

He does his job. No real emotion, always the same approach. It's boring as fuck and the music behind it almost doesn't matter. I'm not gonna listen to the next album cause I already heard it over and over.

Slash really, really needs a singer that has something to say and means it.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, ChildOfTheMoon said:

It depends on where their focus are, I guess. There are some older artists that are still able to release good stuff, including more mature lyrics and songwriting. 

42 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/archive-news-jun-02-2001/

SLASH'S SNAKEPIT, the new band of former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash, will be returning to L.A. after the completion of their current headlining trek (which ends in Pittsburgh, PA on June 29th) to begin work on a new studio album, for which about 20 songs have been demoed so far. The as-yet-untitled effort is tentatively due to be recorded at the end of the year for an early 2002 release.

Thanks, didn't know that. I guess VR happened and Slash re-used some of what he came up with on his other projects then.

On 4/23/2020 at 1:13 PM, MaskingApathy said:

Just because LTD wasn't as exciting doesn't mean that the next record wouldn't be good. That one might be the best one yet.

I just can't imagine that being the case as long as Myles is still in the picture. 

• Like 4

I am glad Axl isn't putting himself on a pedestal as the world's savior from killer viruses, war, poverty, racism, sexism, climate change, etc.  If he and the other members of Guns want to affect change, that is great, and there are plenty of ways to help privately.  Taking a cause to the stage is as much about the artists and their egos as it is about the cause itself. 

We all agree that the Covid virus is a major problem, but we don't need to hear about it from every single celebrity out there to know it's an issue.  Just because an artist doesn't discuss an issue, we shouldn't assume they don't have strong feelings about said issue.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SympathyFortheAxl said:

I am glad Axl isn't putting himself on a pedestal as the world's savior from killer viruses, war, poverty, racism, sexism, climate change, etc.  If he and the other members of Guns want to affect change, that is great, and there are plenty of ways to help privately.  Taking a cause to the stage is as much about the artists and their egos as it is about the cause itself. 

We all agree that the Covid virus is a major problem, but we don't need to hear about it from every single celebrity out there to know it's an issue.  Just because an artist doesn't discuss an issue, we shouldn't assume they don't have strong feelings about said issue.

The thread isn't about whether Axl should comment on the virus or not, it's about whether or not GNR actually care about their fans since they haven't updated eveyone like many other artists have. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SympathyFortheAxl said:

There's a huge difference between what you're saying and quite simply giving a little support to your fans. There are tons of examples in this thread. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Bon Jovi issues refund to all who bought tickets(didnt postpone tour but really cancelled it) because Jon said the fans most likely need the money for other things. I read many others merely postponed theirs(harder to get refunds).

I know that when Pearl Jam, who were one of the very first bands to postpone their tour, they offered fans the ability for a refund or to keep their tickets which would be valid for the rescheduled date when that comes - which I thought was pretty classy

• Like 1

Yeah, aside from their recent touring (which is pretty big - never thought we'd see the day!), they are a very private kind of band (i.e. Axl is a private kind of guy). But, I think Axl limits his public exposure due to past experiences. He doesn't choose to be too vocal now despite holding many opinions! He's also a perfectionist (of the debilitating kind). He still performs with gusto on stage, but doesn't seem to have much capacity to do a whole lot more (e.g. release new music, finish his autobiography, perform at charitable events). I don't think it's because he's only in it for the money. He's an artist at heart and I'm sure he wants to create - there just seems to be a blockage there. In terms of COVID-19, no-one really know what's going on behind the scenes. Perhaps some in "the GnR camp" are unwell or know people who aren't faring well. You need to be particularly motivated to be there for your fans during a time like this. But, having been a fan since 1987, I do agree on one important point: new material in any form is desperately in order!

• Like 1

Just literally got Email from BST 2020 Hyde Park Axs.com they are now working on re booking Pearl Jam & all others for 2021 they will be in touchby 13th May if they can confirm exact same line up you can either keep tixs or of course ask for a refund

7 hours ago, Melsie75 said:

Yeah, aside from their recent touring (which is pretty big - never thought we'd see the day!), they are a very private kind of band (i.e. Axl is a private kind of guy). But, I think Axl limits his public exposure due to past experiences. He doesn't choose to be too vocal now despite holding many opinions! He's also a perfectionist (of the debilitating kind). He still performs with gusto on stage, but doesn't seem to have much capacity to do a whole lot more (e.g. release new music, finish his autobiography, perform at charitable events). I don't think it's because he's only in it for the money. He's an artist at heart and I'm sure he wants to create - there just seems to be a blockage there. In terms of COVID-19, no-one really know what's going on behind the scenes. Perhaps some in "the GnR camp" are unwell or know people who aren't faring well. You need to be particularly motivated to be there for your fans during a time like this. But, having been a fan since 1987, I do agree on one important point: new material in any form is desperately in order!

Thoughtful email and probably close to reality...