THE most overrated GNR song?

Coma, Catcher prostitute and locomotive.... I like parts of each but as a whole none of them. Locomotive and prostitute are the best of the bunch though... and I don't hate any of those / Any guns song... although Silkworms is junk!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

You're mixing up overplayed with overrated. SCOM is many things but overrated isn't one of those things. 

It's overplayed and overrated. Yea it was their first big hit, but it's always ranked as one of, if not their best song, and they have plenty of better songs IMO.

• Like 1

Among CD fans, Catcher in the rye, I just thinks it's an awful song

Among the contrarian fans--One in a million, song where the verses don't have anything to do with the choruses. I like the chorus, dats it. Coulda been a good love song 

Among casuals probably either SCOM or November Rain. I love both songs, but SCOM is overplayed, and the production on NR could've been better--see live versions of the song

Among hardcore fans, Don't Damn Me. Still have no idea how anyone can stand that song one bit

18 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Among CD fans, Catcher in the rye, I just thinks it's an awful song

Among the contrarian fans--One in a million, song where the verses don't have anything to do with the choruses. I like the chorus, dats it. Coulda been a good love song 

Among casuals probably either SCOM or November Rain. I love both songs, but SCOM is overplayed, and the production on NR could've been better--see live versions of the song

Among hardcore fans, Don't Damn Me. Still have no idea how anyone can stand that song one bit

In terms of DDM i love slashs s olos and the breakdown after the solo and the ending "smokem if you got em".

As always when I'm taking part on those polls I do NOT count CD era stuff. They would fill any of my lists of worst GNR songs. CD songs don't even come on my mind for such lists, good or bad, as long as I don't see them here being listed by some of you.

So I have to go with some covers this time. Live And Let Die and Since I Don't Have You are more or less popular songs among the fan base and in general wich I have to scip everytime they're on. Never understood the love for them. 

Coma was the first song that came to mind (at least among the more dedicated fans). I've spoken to a lot of people who really like it and were delighted that it came back into the set. I think it's a waste of setlist space, and an absolute slog to get through.

On 10.7.2020 at 9:42 PM, Alejandro GNR said:

None...

Some may have been overplayed, but no one can deny the greatness on SCOM, WTTJ, Paradise City, NR, Dont Cry, KOHD, etc

This! 

In my opinion most people confuse overrated with overplayed. 

Edited by zigzagbigbag
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, adamsapple said:

I'd appreciate the mods checking back with me reporting your signature so I won't have to report it to the authorities.

You must be 16 or 60. Or a very troubled individual. But also an entertaining one. Never change.

Novermber Rain. That’s a great start to this thread. I liked it when I was 13, but was disappointed sorta when that’s what they played live at the MVA’s. Great lyrics, great song, and I was born on Nov 29th — the same date as that famous Columbia’s downpour show. It’s weird that that’s the song I’m most tired of. I could listen to Jungle and Sweet Child for lifetimes and they never grow old, but NR...nope.  And it’s a lot of people’s’ all time favorite GNR track. I get it, but it’s been one of my least favorites for 25 years now. 

For me its probably Paradise City. It has it's moments and the intro and bridge are cool, but the outro and choruses for me are just not on par with their great stuff.

November Rain needs a mention for me - iconic soloing but not that a great a song - the most inferior of the big UYI ballads for me.

TWAT and Madagascar also need calling out - overwrought, earnest and no where near Guns top gear level of greatness... 

• Like 1

On 12/07/2020 at 1:55 AM, PatrickS77 said:

Yes. One of the few on CD I really like.

You see the irony right? "Nobody rates that shit" 🤣

Also, plenty of people on and off the forums love CD, some even consider it their favourite guns album, some rate certain songs from the album in their top 5 of all time. Your opinion on people being hopeless because they like a record you don't, is in itself hopeless. 

No problem with SCOM musically but lyrically it’s trite and I’m not surprised Axl hasn’t been able to put any passion in it live for decades. Slash thought it was stupid to begin with.

It’s the song they’re known for when it pretty much flies in the face of everything they were about. Not that Back Off Bitch has aged any better...

On 7/11/2020 at 6:42 AM, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

People like This I Love? Man I can't stand the lyrics and the voice he uses. His vocals on the remix are great, but what were they thinking with that turd.

That song was terribly awkward to see live... They all were.. I know people here like Better and I will never understand why.. I find everything about it terrible. Especially live.. The only CD song I get any enjoyment from live is CD itself.. Axl sounds terrible at the end of it though. 

1 hour ago, Stress Fracture said:

No problem with SCOM musically but lyrically it’s trite and I’m not surprised Axl hasn’t been able to put any passion in it live for decades. Slash thought it was stupid to begin with.

It’s the song they’re known for when it pretty much flies in the face of everything they were about. Not that Back Off Bitch has aged any better...

I listened to Back Off Bitch earlier today and I still think it's an awesome track. One of the best rockers from the Illusions.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2