GN’R Greatest Hits Vinyl - release Sept 25th

On 8/22/2020 at 4:57 PM, allwaystired said:

Beyond parody! 

Love the fact he seemed to become aware of it's release via Twitter, then got down to trying to make a few quid out of it! 

I always disliked Matt, but if total scumbags like GNR's so called manager who had nothing to do with any of GNR's success can make money off the name, surely a guy who played on several of those Greatest Hits deserves to make a few.

• Like 3

On 8/11/2020 at 12:03 PM, allwaystired said:

I can't, offhand, think of one greatest hits I own that doesn't have at least one 'new song' included on it.

It's an age old industry trick. 

This album wasn't supported by Axl slash or duff at the time, it was a cash in to recoup money lost dying the CD recording sessions. 

It's not like this is some new album or anything, it's an obvious vinyl release of one of the greatest selling albums of all time.

I feel like Sympathy for the Devil was used as a "new" song at the time too since it wasn't on any other GnR releases and a lot of people probably weren't too familiar with it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

This album wasn't supported by Axl slash or duff at the time, it was a cash in to recoup money lost dying the CD recording sessions. 

It's not like this is some new album or anything, it's an obvious vinyl release of one of the greatest selling albums of all time.

I feel like Sympathy for the Devil was used as a "new" song at the time too since it wasn't on any other GnR releases and a lot of people probably weren't too familiar with it. 

Yeah, and I think SOYL probably fulfils that role this time. At least in the minds of the people that made it! 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 6:49 PM, DTV88 said:

I elected to buy the import vinyl from Amazon, with the gold/red/white splatter. Their current price is $47.99, which could drop a little more before it's release date.

For whatever reason, I don't have much interest in the picture disc.

On 8/1/2020 at 6:51 AM, allwaystired said:

Bit of a myth about how much vinyl sells. CDs still massively outsell vinyl. 

Here's a sobering figure- the second best selling vinyl in the UK this year so far is a re-print of a Manic Street Preachers album.

It sold just 2,300 copies to get that postion. They really don't sell well at all. But much attention is placed on them because their sales rose (slightly) in recent yeara, bucking the general downward trend of physical media sales. 

There's a really interesting article on the misconception that vinyl sells, backed up with all the facts and figures (an out of fashion thing these days I know, in an era where people don't need facts!) If you're interested in the whole thing. It's a very weird false narrative that has taken hold, seemingly fuelled by media drive to make articles. 

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/feature/saturday-deluxe-18-january-2020/

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/09/vinyl-sales-surpass-cds-34-years/?fbclid=IwAR1RG28hj5JIfC15YG-VgY8PnUpjL1pjmqyqNGtriHQU13kpQa4dlvlkO_k

7 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Was just reading that! 

Again though, there's media manipulation going on there in terms of the headline. They haven't unsold them in quantity, just in terms of the money 'brought in' (revenue). When you consider that a vinyl record can cost 2, 3 or even sometimes 4 times more it changes things. 

If you look at the actual units shipped (which are in the report) CD's are still outselling vinyl massively.....but none of the news reports seem to have looked at these figures. Presumably because they don't make for a "click here' headline. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I forgot this was being released tomorrow. I've got a huge Prince vinyl set to pick up tomorrow along with a Nick Mason double LP set, so the GN'R hits package is gonna have to wait. 

How can you wait? It's the "new" GnR release @Fernando promised! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

I'm looking forward to Axl surprising us with The General as a hidden bonus track. :axl:

Can't wait for the looped vocal intro from Scraped as a hidden track in the inner groove.

Edited by EvH
  • GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I forgot this was being released tomorrow. I've got a huge Prince vinyl set to pick up tomorrow along with a Nick Mason double LP set, so the GN'R hits package is gonna have to wait. 

Ha! I like it mate, having GnR wait for you for a change. I'm sure you'll feel like getting it 'soon'...

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Mines is due to be delivered within next couple of hours....just waiting on a GNR-style issue meaning it’ll be delayed....

Mine was just delivered, from HMV. Very well packaged and protected. Good service! 

I put a pre-order in, thinking "I'll have a think about whether I really want this and maybe cancel it" (with a leaning towards 'I definitely don't and don't really want to support the releasing of old material') and forgot all about it! 

It actually looks really good. Can upload some pics if anyone is interested. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Mine was just delivered, from HMV. Very well packaged and protected. Good service! 

I put a pre-order in, thinking "I'll have a think about whether I really want this and maybe cancel it" (with a leaning towards 'I definitely don't and don't really want to support the releasing of old material') and forgot all about it! 

It actually looks really good. Can upload some pics if anyone is interested. 

Yeah - it’s HMV I’m getting mines from too. T-minus 60 mins and counting....

Did you get the gold splatter version?

https://imgur.com/a/cJ0h3m4

Some pics here. 

It's dawned on me that the image inside is the wrong way round......which is sort of shocking really. 

I mean, is there NO-ONE to quality control this stuff?! 

8fFMZck.jpgzAGC4gP.jpgkbX13Do.jpgQzIYgfb.jpgXUuEMWy.jpg88dsKzw.jpg

27 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Yeah - it’s HMV I’m getting mines from too. T-minus 60 mins and counting....

Did you get the gold splatter version?

Yeah. Have posted some pics above. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

https://imgur.com/a/cJ0h3m4

Some pics here. 

It's dawned on me that the image inside is the wrong way round......which is sort of shocking really. 

I mean, is there NO-ONE to quality control this stuff?! 

8fFMZck.jpgzAGC4gP.jpgkbX13Do.jpgQzIYgfb.jpgXUuEMWy.jpg88dsKzw.jpg

Yeah. Have posted some pics above. 

Mines just turned up.....and was just about to post about the backwards photo. Some folk had pointed out the picture disc was wrong when the photos were first released but obviously no-one knew what exactly he inside covers would look like. Slightly irritating. The actual vinyls look tremendous however. 👍

Edited by DTJ80

3 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Mines just turned up.....and was just about to post about the backwards photo. Some folk had pointed out the picture disc was wrong when the photos were first released but obviously no-one knew what exactly he inside covers would look like. Slightly irritating. The actual vinyls look tremendous however. 👍

It's just totally absurd. How many people have seen this as it's designed, approved, made etc....and not one of these people pointed out the error?! It pisses me off greatly, mainly because people in creative jobs that are incompetent always piss me off, as these jobs are so competitive. If you're designing record sleeves and you can't even get the pictures the right way round, then fuck off and let someone else do it who can. 

• Like 2