08/08/21 - Detroit, MI - Comerica Park

alfierose

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I definitely agree to some level- the point is to have fun, and if people are then great, but I also think that performances that are not good enough shouldn't just be accepted because people had fun. I think it's ok to separate the two ("I had great fun but the show wasn't a good performance"). 

I say this but I don't really watch the YT videos anyway, unless it's something really of note. 

I know live is a different experience but its not like its the early 2000s anymore. What people record and put on YouTube now is more or less clear and accurate.

I've come to an acceptance that we'll be hearing rasp less and less as the years go on. At this point a lot of it is age and wear and tear and thats fine.

Like another poster said, he should find ways to rework some of these songs vocally. I don't think anyone would hold it against him.

3 hours ago, mystery said:

I think its  tough for some people since its such a major part of these songs vocally and give them an impact. I compare it similarly to James Hetfield post 93 and Rob Halford when he couldn't hit near the amount of high notes when he returned to Judas Priest in 2005. He managed to comeback big time in 18/19.

I think its just something people think Axl can get back to if you're judging on 2016 which is somewhat recent history.

oh i get it, believe me. 

• Like 1

I just watched some videos 

Tbh I don’t remember last time I saw Axl having so much fun on stage!!

He moves around a lot more than in last few years, and even his facial expressions shows that he is so happy and into it!

It’s like 90s Axl but “few” pounds heavier and with positive attitude 

I hope he’ll improve his singing but if he don’t, I don’t really mind it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

It's rehearsal. It's lack of rehearsal. He can still hit the notes as is proven even during these bad times. He hasn't lost his range. He needs to strengthen his voice with some specific vocal exercises. He has lost a bit of weight though, so that's a great start. 

He absolutely underprepared for the shows and is now only coming to grips with how to deliver his performance. 

"Good enough for the live environment" that's not even true. It's supposed to be just good, without any further qualification. There should not be any arguments about youtube dissection because Axl should sound good live and when recorded. Is it good enough when you can't really hear everything that's gong on and after a few beers and you're singing along... just about, but is it good enough in comparison to other acts of this level? No way.  

There are way too many "we don't know what's wrong... he might be sick" etc. Posts.... can we just call a spade a spade? He doesn't sound good because he failed to prepare in a meaningful way. Like I said earlier, he is trying hard now! Great to see but this was effort that should have gone in, at a rehearsal space well away from paying fans. 

The band rehearsed for a few weeks before heading out to Hershey but Axl only showed up for the last 3 days of those rehearsals (including the day that Del posted about). Heard that from someone I know in LA.

6 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

Touring is were artists make the money these days. 

Not sure why the focus is on attendence in the US. The US has been and is continuing to be affected by COVID-19. 

A large percentage of the population would have been directly affected by COVID-19. 

Proof of vaccination will become a standard requirement in all of our life's. 

Live Nation don't seem to have an issue with shows not selling out, i would suggest they as the promoter would have accepted that risk and happy to take the financial loss on the chain. 

They will recover those costs from other country markets. 

The way Australian is going with a daily increase in community cases and unfortunately COVID-19 deaths, the Australian leg of the tour is looking unlikely to go ahead. 

These things are outside of the bands control. 

New Zealand is safe at the moment, with no COVID-19 cases in the community, but my hope is starting to fade, as its highly unlikely if the Australian tour does not go ahead, the band won't fly to New Zealand for two shows only in this part of the world. 

The cost of flying staging, crew etc would outway the financial return on two fully sold out shows. 

The band band is coming to Australia and New Zealand as they know there is a market that will pay to see the band play live.

This market will attend these shows not because of new music, nor a change in a set list, or Axls vocals, but because it might be the last time they will get to see the band in their homeland. 

There are plenty of fans from different countries around the world in the same situation.

You guys in the US don't understand how lucky you are,given you can travel within the US to see the band, not having to venture outside of your own country. 

I could be proactive in the event of the New Zealand tour being cancelled, and jump on a flight to the US in a week to see my favourite band live, pay the cost of travelling and tickets, no problem, but unfortunately in my personal circumstances, due to Covid-19, I would then spend 14 days in a managed isolation hotel, confined to my room, on my return to New Zealand, costing me an extra NZ$3,500. 

I might simply have to accept the situation, including the affect of COVID-19 on the world, and full back on memories of last seeing the band play live in Auckland back in 2017.

Wow, I didn't think about the Australian covid situation affecting the NZ leg of the tour. The probability it would be cancelled is very high with Australia's current predicament. Its good NZ is doing well re:covid, but sucks re:my favourite band might potentially not be coming. I digress, this page is about Detriot and not a potentially cancelled NZ show. 

Thought about the less than spectacular attendance last night, and came to conclusion that it's a good thing, in that, the band might learn they can't ride the coat tails of their former glorys, and may need to do normal band activities........ like tour a product instead of endless touring, and if they want to remain relevant, release and promote themselves........... or be relegated to smaller venues. 

10 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Thought about the less than spectacular attendance last night, and came to conclusion that it's a good thing, in that, the band might learn they can't ride the coat tails of their former glorys, and may need to do normal band activities........ like tour a product instead of endless touring, and if they want to remain relevant, release and promote themselves........... or be relegated to smaller venues. 

That's an interesting point of view. They definitely must tour something in the short term.

• Like 1

Re: Axl’s voice. I watched Absurd from Detroit and then some other videos from  the night started auto playing. So my personal setlist went:

Absurd: Good first impression but I doubt he’s ever going to struggle with this one.

Chinese Democracy: Good in the verse and the more demanding chorus and a lot of energy.

Slither: YouTube knows what it’s doing. The verses are solid. The first chorus is par for the course as far as what Axl does with it. Then the flaws start to show during the second chorus and he puts little effort to the the final pre chorus.

WTTJ: This is old man Axl from start to finish but a lot better than when it’s all over the place. There’s no cringe here. He kills a moth during the song. That moth did not know where the fuck it was and paid the price. That’s the jungle for you, man. Not safe for moths.

SCOM: Good night, YouTube.

Overall, he’s still a great front man when the songs allow him to be.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Well. "Should". :rolleyes: Ticket prices should also be lower, but they aren't. ;) He's been doing it this way all his life. You really think he's gonna change for the, tops, 5-10 years of performances left?

People would have said that about him going on stage 1hr to 2hrs late every night too, and yet from 2016 until now, he goes on time. If the incentive$ are there he'll play ball. Not saying he has to be at every rehearsal but in general he 'should' be at most. It's a crazy thing, but even singers have to rehearse😉

4 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

WTTJ: This is old man Axl from start to finish but a lot better than when it’s all over the place. There’s no cringe here. He kills a moth during the song. That moth did not know where the fuck it was and paid the price. That’s the jungle for you, man. Not safe for moths.

That moth episode was priceless!

8 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

Re: Axl’s voice. I watched Absurd from Detroit and then some other videos from  the night started auto playing. So my personal setlist went:

Absurd: Good first impression but I doubt he’s ever going to struggle with this one.

Chinese Democracy: Good in the verse and the more demanding chorus and a lot of energy.

Slither: YouTube knows what it’s doing. The verses are solid. The first chorus is par for the course as far as what Axl does with it. Then the flaws start to show during the second chorus and he puts little effort to the the final pre chorus.

SCOM: Good night, YouTube.

Overall, he’s still a great front man when the songs allow him to be.

yeah, fuck that moth :D 

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Fantastic set. 

Wolf has a great voice, awesome skills and a great backing band. 

I could've gone my whole life without hearing him struggle to sing Distance though. He CAN sing it just fine, but his voice was breaking up from emotion. 

That's me being selfish though. I just felt so bad for him. He and his band kick ass though. If you like his debut album, he's definitely worth seeing live. 

Thanks for that, and good to hear. Loved his album, I'll add him to the 'live' wishlist, but whilst I'm located in the southernest part of the universe, we're not spoilt for choice of live acts, unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Best version of You're Crazy from this lineup yet.. All the other ones you could tell Axl hadn't practiced or rehearsed it at all.  Still room for improvment but pretty good. I think he could sing teh whole song in his low voice and just bust out the raspy scream for the very last line and it would work very very well. 

Gotta say as atrocious as Rocket Queen had been from this lineup I enjoyed the shit out of it at Fenway and just watched this one too. The band has gotten better at it and I don't mind the length. It makes my dick hard everytime Slash comes back in with that Slide. I think they could cut out the Fortus 2 minute solo and it would be perfect but him and Frank have gotten much better at the song over all. 

I really liked the way Slash solos over the rythym of the Slide part in SMKC. It just worked perfectly.. Maybe not when they first started doing it but as they progressed.. Money.. I could literally watch Slash solo for a half hour over that part and have.. He did it one New Years show I believe..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Best version of You're Crazy from this lineup yet.. All the other ones you could tell Axl hadn't practiced or rehearsed it at all.  Still room for improvment but pretty good. I think he could sing teh whole song in his low voice and just bust out the raspy scream for the very last line and it would work very very well. 

Gotta say as atrocious as Rocket Queen had been from this lineup I enjoyed the shit out of it at Fenway and just watched this one too. The band has gotten better at it and I don't mind the length. It makes my dick hard everytime Slash comes back in with that Slide. I think they could cut out the Fortus 2 minute solo and it would be perfect but him and Frank have gotten much better at the song over all. 

I really liked the way Slash solos over the rythym of the Slide part in SMKC. It just worked perfectly.. Maybe not when they first started doing it but as they progressed.. Money.. I could literally watch Slash solo for a half hour over that part and have.. He did it one New Years show I believe..

I actually don't mind the longer RQ now as much, now that they seem to have figured out how to do the solo section. Before it was a little bit of a mess but now it runs smoothly. 

• Like 2

On 9/7/2020 at 4:47 PM, alfierose said:

image.png.c62dae7db3b443127471b6e52bd600a5.png

August 8, 2021

Detroit, MI

Comerica Park

SETLIST

It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Slither
Double Talkin' Jive
Rumble
Welcome To The Jungle
Better
Estranged
Live And Let Die
You're Crazy
Rocket Queen
You Could Be Mine
I Wanna Be Your Dog - Duff on Vocals
Absurd
Civil War
Slash Guitar Solo
Sweet Child O' Mine
November Rain
Only Women Bleed (Intro)
Knocking On Heaven's Door
Nightrain

Encore
Patience
Paradise City

Notes:

Axl in a great mood, talking a lot between songs.

Absurd played live for third time.

Hardschool not played.

Technical issues during WTTJ

Can you tell me about what time GNR come on the stage?

Last time it was around ten and played for 3 hours. I would like to know so I can see what time I'll be getting home that night. lol

thanks.

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Can you tell me about what time GNR come on the stage?

Last time it was around ten and played for 3 hours. I would like to know so I can see what time I'll be getting home that night. lol

thanks.

As far as I can tell they've been starting early, about 8ish and doing a slightly shorter set. Someone who attended can probably be more exact. @RussTCB