09/23/21 - Columbus, OH - Schottenstein Center

Powerage5

1 hour ago, jafeijo said:

The problem with HardSchool is really the middle range that Axl had in the early 2000's, in that period he would went really smooth from chest voice to head voice. Nowadays there's such a big gap between the two voices and his 'chest voice' has diminished considerably, you can check the Mexico 2020 soundcheck when Axl tried to go for it and his voice broke big time.

For him it will be definitely one of the toughest themes on the catalogue. The screaming chorus might be the easiest part, I mean, he goes fine with Shadow of Love and that's basically the same range, the problem is the verse melody.

He could probably use the vocal style he uses for the chorus of your crazy (esp the 2nd one) these days, maybe just clip into the light head voice for the highest notes of the verse. It may not quite reach the same note but itd be more comfortable and project better, then switch into the shadow voice as you say.

Given this seems to be getting much better reviews than absurd I can't imagine axl won't play it, and the band 100% are ready and want given they sound check it.

Given it was sound checked with coma yesterday and how it keeps getting sound checked suggests it's not far away now.

OK so I'll quickly add my two penneth in here.

I just saw a YouTube video of Madagascar and Don't Cry from this show, and maybe I'm easily impressed, but I thought Axl sounded as good as he has in a long time! Certainly compared to earlier shows on this tour, was the rest of the show up to the same standard? Glasgow Green cannot come quick enough as far as I'm concerned! :headbang: 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sofine11 said:

I think the logic (assuming logic is involved somewhere) Axl wanted the first impression to be the studio version. That's really the only thing I can chalk it up to.

That's what I'm thinking too, seems to make the most sense.

2 hours ago, downzy said:

Maybe you’re right.

Why that doesn’t make any sense to me is they didn’t take that approach with Absurd AND the studio version of Hard Skool was already out there (both officially and unofficially depending where in the world you live). I was listening to it yesterday morning.

They know that only us crazy people on the forum are listening to it before it's officially out, for the general public it's not, so I can see why they would rather wait and let people hear the recording first then play it live after.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The-Jungle83 said:

OK so I'll quickly add my two penneth in here.

I just saw a YouTube video of Madagascar and Don't Cry from this show, and maybe I'm easily impressed, but I thought Axl sounded as good as he has in a long time! Certainly compared to earlier shows on this tour, was the rest of the show up to the same standard? Glasgow Green cannot come quick enough as far as I'm concerned! :headbang: 

I just hope that this time he will prepare for the 2022 tour. Hershey is proof that Axl did not prepare for this tour at all, with the preparation I believe that Axl may be able to reach the 2016 level again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

They know that only us crazy people on the forum are listening to it before it's officially out, for the general public it's not, so I can see why they would rather wait and let people hear the recording first then play it live after.

1) They didn't do this with Absurd

2) If what you say is true, that only us crazy people on the forums listen, then it's not exactly obvious how playing the song in Columbus would affect casual listeners who would go online to see the live performance.

What I think doesn't help is to release a song whereby press the next day notes that it hasn't been played live yet and wasn't played the night before release.  Doesn't instil a lot of confidence.  

I'm checking some vids from the show and damn boy, the band looks so good they are doing great and Axl sounds really goooood on Paradise city!! Last song on the set and he delivers!!! Madagascar was beautiful as always. They really have their shit together and it's a rolling machine! A joy for all the people attending

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, siraddam said:

I know it's a bit left field, but isn't colombus Ohio the place where the school shooting happened? It might not be the best taste to debut a song called Hard Skool.

Hard Skool is not about schools goddamn it people, it's a saying exactly the same way "old school" is, that one doesn't mean literal schools either:lol:

Also you're talking about a guy who wore Charles Manson shirts frequently, not exactly the best taste either

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

30 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Hard Skool is not about schools goddamn it people, it's a saying exactly the same way "old school" is, that one doesn't mean literal schools either:lol:

Also you're talking about a guy who wore Charles Manson shirts frequently, not exactly the best taste either

What does hard school means? That's something like a lesson learned the hard way?

I'm not sure :-)

4 hours ago, siraddam said:

I know it's a bit left field, but isn't colombus Ohio the place where the school shooting happened? It might not be the best taste to debut a song called Hard Skool.

Do you mean the Columbine school shooting in 1999? That was in Columbine, Colorado.

Regardless, the thought is too far-fetched, even more so since the song has nothing to do with schools :)

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think it can be used pretty much as a synonym for "being cool", too hard school -> too cool for something.

Yeah it’s an odd phrase because what he is saying/meaning is more commonly referred to as “hardcore.” No idea why he instead used hard school which is not a normal term and sorta cringey but here we are.

10 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Yeah it’s an odd phrase because what he is saying/meaning is more commonly referred to as “hardcore.” No idea why he instead used hard school which is not a normal term and sorta cringey but here we are.

"Hardschool"/"hard-school" is a  very uncommon, yet existing word/phrase.

The meaning is not exactly "hardcore," it's something like a composite of "hardcore" and "old school," as in someone/something being/acting tough in an old-fashioned way. Also "hardcore" doesn't rhyme with "cool" and "fool" :lol:

Edited by Blackstar

29 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Because it would be cringe if GNR came out with a song called "Hardcore"

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

"Hardschool"/"hard-school" is a  very uncommon, yet existing word/phrase.

The meaning is not exactly "hardcore," it's something like a composite of "hardcore" and "old school," as in someone/something being/acting tough in an old-fashioned way. Also "hardcore" doesn't rhyme with "cool" and "fool" :lol:

Ha I get the rhyming aspect but hard school isn’t really an existing (yet uncommon) phrase. I literally have never heard it used like this before this song. I’m open to being wrong but I’m 36 years old and have lived or spent considerable time in most regions of the US and have never came across it. IMO he’s using it in the same sense that Lady Gaga uses Hardcore in this short scene: