Axl is in mythical status like Liberachi or Elvis

I mean how can a whole universe still cater to this man? Other than him being legit at one point one of the best vocalist/ entertainer. At this point do people go see GnR for anything other than the spectacle of Axl Rose? Slash and duff are cool but they are low level like Dave Mustain ( so much sarcasm on that, I love Mega Death! )  honestly I imagined axl dressed as liberachi only to realize it wasn’t a imagined thing lol, this thread will probs get killed/locked, but I don’t care I’m tired of talking about hardskool 

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rayvela said:

I mean how can a whole universe still cater to this man? Other than him being legit at one point one of the best vocalist/ entertainer. At this point do people go see GnR for anything other than the spectacle of Axl Rose? Slash and duff are cool but they are low level like Dave Mustain ( so much sarcasm on that, I love Mega Death! )  honestly I imagined axl dressed as liberachi only to realize it wasn’t a imagined thing lol, this thread will probs get killed/locked, but I don’t care I’m tired of talking about hardskool 

Lol, most people who go see GNR now say Slash steals the show and is the highlight. You literally couldn't be more wrong about this

• Like 3

From 87-93 he brought it vocally and had the looks and attitude to boot. Axl was so good at what he did that he's the template for badass rockstar. He's kept that mystique by doing not much else since.

Just have a ton of early success, good looks in your youth, and disappear for long periods of time and you too can achieve mythical status.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Lol, most people who go see GNR now say Slash steals the show and is the highlight. You literally couldn't be more wrong about this

I don't know if it's because I am old enough to remember watching them live back in the early 90's or what, but I don't know how anyone can think any of them steels any part of the show. Compared to 1992, Axl is stiff and seems to be moving in slow motion. Slash barely moves. Duff is probably the closest thing to his former self, but then he was never really that interesting live to begin with. Forget Frank, Melissa and Dizzy. Those three might as well not even exist when it comes to showmanship. Which leaves us where, exactly? Yeah, that's right. Richard. A Nu-GNR fill-in. And guess what? He's sadly the most entertaining member on the stage! lol

Having said all that though, I still have love in my heart for GNR and always will. Old GNR is better than no GNR. But yeah. They're no where close to that drugged up, drunken, violent, high-energy spectacle of glorious disaster that they once were. 

Edited by Nintari

4 hours ago, Nintari said:

I don't know if it's because I am old enough to remember watching them live back in the early 90's or what, but I don't know how anyone can think any of them steels any part of the show. Compared to 1992, Axl is stiff and seems to be moving in slow motion. Slash barely moves. Duff is probably the closest thing to his former self, but then he was never really that interesting live to begin with. Forget Frank, Melissa and Dizzy. Those three might as well not even exist when it comes to showmanship. Which leaves us where, exactly? Yeah, that's right. Richard. A Nu-GNR fill-in. And guess what? He's sadly the most entertaining member on the stage! lol

Having said all that though, I still have love in my heart for GNR and always will. Old GNR is better than no GNR. But yeah. They're no where close to that drugged up, drunken, violent, high-energy spectacle of glorious disaster that they once were. 

Slash barely moves? I wish I'd have his energy at his age and his enthusiasm on the stage. Duff is not boring to me and in the olden days he was everything I've ever wanted from a hard rock bass player. And it's not really that sad cause it's just the way you feel about it. A lot of people are still mesmerized by Axl and Slash.

I don't think it is that surprising that a bunch of sober 60 years old don't move the same way as they did when they were about half that age and fucked up. Imagine if Gn'R was a band that formed in the 60's (even mid 50's) and people pointed out in the 90's how it's just not the same anymore. After 30 plus years, no band is the same.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Liberace appeared at Wrestlemania. Axl Rose isn’t good enough to appear in anything similar.

one was a pioneer and icon, the other is a deluded, crazy, narcissistic control freak who has a team of yes people and a guitarist who hates him then loves working with him.

so. No comparison.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I was very impressed when I saw them. Axl's like up to my shoulders and the little guy went out on stage and you could immediately feel his energy and stage charisma, pretty cool. He seems to be warming up again and he's slimmed down, awesome. Slash is doing great. The band seems really tight.

My gripes are if Duff has to sing it should be So Fine, Slash needs to stop noodling so much, shorten RQ and KOHD, mix up the setlist and play some new fucking songs.

I think Duff is doing a good job right now with his cover and I would like So Fine to return and with the participation of the little guy. My ideal situation is Duff rotating a few covers and so fine every now and then. RQ and KOHD - a little restraint goes a long way. Noodling is different cause I think it's Slash's way of enjoying it and also to achieve great performances and come up with new ideas on the spot. He is a master of improvisation and his goal (according to Myles) is to be as much in the moment as he can without thinking about it too much.

To perfect his improvisation almost like a Jazz player for example, only messier. I think it was always like that but he was even more of a lyrical player and we got used to it. Sometimes I miss the consistency in which he nailed it but it makes sense to me that the approach didn't change just because he got clean and sober. He mentioned how when he was drunk he would concentrate more on a single note or bend, so he is aware of it, but he's just doing what he always did to get there.

at least they've released Absurd and will probably release HS relatively soon imo. They do mix it up sometimes when it comes to the setlist, but I wish they'll do it more often but Gn'R is a band that does seem to care about pleasing the majority of the audience so it could be that the little guy is always trying to find a balance between what he can sing, what he wants to sing, and what he "must" sing.

Edited by Rovim

I’m a huge GnR fan and have always thought Axl was the star of the show as it’s almost impossible to replace a unique lead singer.  However, it’s very apparent that slash is just as important.   His playing and stage presence are unbelievable.  As a duo or trio with Duff there is a uniqueness that just feels right.  This is what should of happened many years ago.  Slash has also now risen to mythical status and complements Axl perfectly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

Liberace appeared at Wrestlemania. Axl Rose isn’t good enough to appear in anything similar.

one was a pioneer and icon, the other is a deluded, crazy, narcissistic control freak who has a team of yes people and a guitarist who hates him then loves working with him.

so. No comparison.

This almost exactly how the movie with Michael Douglas portrayed Liberace to be...minus the guitarist. 

6 hours ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

so. No comparison.

Agreed. 

Is Axl AN icon? Yeah. Anywhere near the level of someone like Elvis or Liberace? Not even close.