Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

1 minute ago, Fozzie Bear said:

Omg wtf happened to this song? It hits half as hard as the Demo. Guitars sound flat and have no soul and everything about it feels lazy and copy and paste. This sucks. If the new album is just more of this butchering the 2001 bands work this legit sucks!!! Bucket runs circles around Slash. 

This is a repeat of 2008 😭 "The demo was better, the demo was better". 

I haven't heard the finished studio version yet, but I'll almost certainly enjoy it more than the demo, because A) Slash is playing the guitar B) the original solos were laborious and terrible 3) the mix was flat. 4) because apparently there's some newer vocals, and Pele stated unequivocally that Axl had not recorded any vocals since the time he recorded the village leaks😄 ah that might be the best part of the release😜

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

This is a repeat of 2008 😭 "The demo was better, the demo was better". 

I haven't heard the finished studio version yet, but I'll almost certainly enjoy it more than the demo, because A) Slash is playing the guitar B) the original solos were laborious and terrible 3) the mix was flat. 4) because apparently there's some newer vocals, and Pele stated unequivocally that Axl had not recorded any vocals since the time he recorded the village leaks😄 ah that might be the best part of the release😜

It’s simply amazing how people were bitching that the village version sounded unfinished and now they are bitching that we got finished and polished final product.

I loved the demo but it was not a song that was ready to release. New version kicks ass

Edited by sl4yer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Got a listen, it's not bad at all, surprised me there.

Pros: Catchy chorus. Somehow reminds me of Crash Diet at times... Good job by Axl. 

Negs: A touch sterile composition and arrangements (too much of that chorus in the end...). Lacks a bit of uumph and texture (i.e.  missing Steven's and Izzy's touch). 

You're spot on about Izzy and Steven.

8 minutes ago, FuddMckagan said:

Just listened to it a couple of times. Pretty good, I think I'll like it more after a few more listens. I really liked the slower section, sounded very UYI ish.

I'm interested to see how they market this (if they market it). I mean, a new single release is a great time for an interview or something.

I love how it transitions from the Cowbell part, which sounds Appetite-y to me, into the slower section, which, as you pointed out, sounds UYI-ish. I never thought that this would happen, but those 2 segments really sound like old school GN'R to me. Amazing how much Slash's Licks and Tone totally transform the song, I just compared the 2000 Demo to the new version part by part, totally different, awesome!

18 minutes ago, Fozzie Bear said:

No dude I’ve listened to it back and forth with the Demo 10x. It just hits so much softer and has none of the punch.  Axl should have released this song the way he wanted it.  Slash trying to play over bucket riff at the end is laughable.  The GNR apologist these days suck.  This is another shitty cut and paste job.  So the band never got into the studio together?  That’s so lame. 

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can't separate their own opinions from facts. Nobody is an apologist just cause they don't agree with you. 

I like Buckethead, but honestly I thought that the guitars mostly sucked in the original Hard Skool demo. I much prefer Slash's tone and Slash's riffs.

That is an opinion. Not an apology. I've criticized some aspects of this version in my earlier comments, but overall I much prefer this version.  

If you want to be a grown up person, you're going to have to learn the fact that people have different preferences. You can't just call everyone an apologist who doesn't agree with you.

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DarkLotus1111 said:

I do miss the drums from Josh Freese. Still that's just me, I enjoyed the "new" HS.

I don't know who is on this, and I thought Brain's drums on Absurd were great, but it's hard to beat Josh Freese. He just tears into everything with such energy and good taste. There's a reason he's probably now the world's best session drummer.

• Like 1

Just now, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I don't know who is on this, and I thought Brain's drums on Absurd were great, but it's hard to beat Josh Freese. He just tears into everything with such energy and good taste. There's a reason he's probably now the world's best session drummer.

Yo, we found Josh's burner account

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

It’s simply amazing how people were bitching that the village version sounded unfinished and now they are bitching that we got finished and polished final product.

I loved the demo but it was not a song that was ready to release. New version kicks ass

Dude they ALL SOUND unfinished.  Does nobody own AFD or UYI?  Go listen to a properly mixed GN'R SONG and then listen to this stuff.  It's a cut and paste hack job of a song that's 22 years old.   This is not a band that got in the studio and made this song...it's Axl telling them "whatever, do something with this..."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

This just it...the DRUMS on the DEMO were so much better.  Something about this new version just isn't hitting...but cue the GN'R apologists who weren't even around when GN'R made amazing studio material.  All of my friends who grew up with GN'R are literally laughing at these last 2 "singles"....

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Fozzie Bear said:

This just it...the DRUMS on the DEMO were so much better.  Something about this new version just isn't hitting...but cue the GN'R apologists who weren't even around when GN'R made amazing studio material.  All of my friends who grew up with GN'R are literally laughing at these last 2 "singles"....

The double hits sound a bit off to me in a similar way to the deliberately mistimed vocals on Absurd. I'm a fan of this song but I'm not entirely convinced by the drums.