Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

1 minute ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I’m not quite sure I agree, maybe the last part of the song but overall I thought it was a decent performance representative for the last couple of years touring!

Very good for today's standard. But there were also better performances towards the end of the tour. I think this performance is from the middle of the tour.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I’m not quite sure I agree, maybe the last part of the song but overall I thought it was a decent performance representative for the last couple of years touring!

Tbh I haven't listen to the performance more than twice but I remember a moment where Axl is really off. Not saying he's off key the whole song but that moment was embarrassing. Don't Cry is decent though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 4:44 PM, Macho Vidal said:

Does anyone know when and where the live performances (Don't Cry and You're Crazy) on the Hard Skool CD took place?  Also, whether any studio dubs were added?  There is a GNR Live Era thread that listed every performance and studio tweak for each song.  Any GNR sleuthers still around?

Did this ever get clarified…..I was sure it was but it might have been on another thread!

• alfierose unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 2:10 AM, Twinaleblood said:

Honestly, I don't think the real problem is the cut and paste approach.

Chinese Democracy had layers and layers of cut and paste from different sessions, different musicians and different producers, yet sound wise is not bad at all considering how it was produced. What makes a very big difference is the mastering, as they went for full dynamics on CD while they are using a lot of compression on HS and Absurd. 

From previous articles and reports, it was said that a loud, compressed mix of CD was also proposed by Bob Ludwig to Axl, but Axl liked the full dynamics version more and decided to go with it. Ludwig explained it himself in this old article here: https://web.archive.org/web/20090131045144/http://www.gatewaymastering.com/gateway_LoudnessWars.asp

Regarding why HS and Absurd sound quite bad, Ludwig himself seems to offer a  possible explanation in hindsight through that same article:

Looks like the compression used for HS and Absurd triggered exactly what Ludwig described here.

I can't help but wonder what spurred Axl to change his mind about this and go for such a u-turn.

Agree with everything here and my thoughts precisely. Well said too. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

GNR-HARD-SKOOL.jpg

I decided to pick up the Vinyl of Hard Skool

Thinking about it, the last time i picked up a Vinyl was of Chinese Democracy :D

I listen to Hard Skool on YouTube. Will probably leave Hard Skool Vinyl under wraps!

For the record, i do own a record player :D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got myself a copy of the Hard Skool EP. :headbang:

(Had the ABSURD and Hard Skool singles digitally, but wanted a physical release, with the extra tracks.)

Initially I have gone for the recently released SHM-CD from Japan.

It's awesome, it has a little lyrics booklet inside (lyrics in both Japanese and English).

• Like 2
  • Wow 1