Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

My 7 inch vinyl arrived yesterday and I'm going to give it a spin today to groove into the weekend. Looks nice and even and the sticker was a nice little surprise.

I was kinda surprised to see it having been produced here in Germanny, been shipped to the warehouse in the US and now back to Germany to me as the happy customer.

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 2

I listened to the vinyl single multiple times over the weekend and as much as I like Hard skool, I absolutely can not appreciate that live version of Absurd. You can't even properly understand Axl's singing. It's basically just noise. I wonder what made them choose that live version for the B side a "comeback single".

Edited by Spoon87

How is it that the production on HS sucks as much as it does?  On the When the Levee Breaks they did for Playing for Change they have 50 artists playing from around the world and they can make that track sound good. 

Yet, with Axl's copy and paste job they make HS sound like a tin can.  Why? Ugh.

Edited by kozydogg

7 hours ago, kozydogg said:

How is it that the production on HS sucks as much as it does?  On the When the Levee Breaks they did for Playing for Change they have 50 artists playing from around the world and they can make that track sound good. 

Yet, with Axl's copy and paste job they make HS sound like a tin can.  Why? Ugh.

Because Axl & Caram have no idea what they're doing, apparently. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know when and where the live performances (Don't Cry and You're Crazy) on the Hard Skool CD took place?  Also, whether any studio dubs were added?  There is a GNR Live Era thread that listed every performance and studio tweak for each song.  Any GNR sleuthers still around?

On 3/2/2022 at 9:44 AM, Macho Vidal said:

Does anyone know when and where the live performances (Don't Cry and You're Crazy) on the Hard Skool CD took place?  Also, whether any studio dubs were added?  There is a GNR Live Era thread that listed every performance and studio tweak for each song.  Any GNR sleuthers still around?

Definitely 2021 tour I think, not sure which show. I don't think they did any studio work to it, at least I don't hear anything obvious.

3 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

"Hard Skool" doesn't sound "cut and paste" to me. It makes no difference what was recorded when. "Absurd" does sound like a mish-mash, but is still cool, imho. 

The odd break in "Absurd" is probably my favorite part. Love the contrast.

The copy and paste thing refers to axls vocals, which are from decades ago

1 hour ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I just got my HS vinyl and cassette and to my surprise I really liked the live tracks!

I was not expecting this at all, both Axl and the band sounds great imo!

Absurd live is growing on me a bit. The lyrics are still crap 

On 3/8/2022 at 7:14 PM, agustingloger said:

Where can i listen to the live YC and DC?!?

Buy the EP :shrugs:

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

11 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Absurd live is growing on me a bit. The lyrics are still crap 

Buy the EP :shrugs:

1 hour ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I just got my HS vinyl and cassette and to my surprise I really liked the live tracks!

I was not expecting this at all, both Axl and the band sounds great imo!

It's hard to listen to Axl on You're Crazy, though.

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

It's hard to listen to Axl on You're Crazy, though.

I’m not quite sure I agree, maybe the last part of the song but overall I thought it was a decent performance representative for the last couple of years touring!