Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

It sounds to my ears that the song was completely re-recorded minus the vocals, so it'll be less severe in regards to cut/pasting than what Chinese was if that is correct. The biggest thing for me is a band that were at the forefront of going against the loudness war seem to have done a complete U-turn in that regard. The mastering is horrendous, but still a fucking great song that packs a lot of energy.

Edited by Dean
  • Like 1

Absurd was cool at first, but now that the novelty of having a “new” GNR song has worn off it rests firmly next to Scraped as one of my least favorites from the CD sessions.

Despite a few missed opportunities (missing Duff/Melissa backing vocals, less-than-stellar drumming, weird mixing on lead vocals), I think Hard Skool is a much better song and has much more replayability. Definitely among the best material from the Chinese era.

I completely agree with @Deanabout the mastering though, what the hell happened there?? Every song on the Hard Skool CD sounds ridiculously compressed.

Edited by LlamaRenegade
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

The more I listen to HardSkool, the more boring it gets. Whereas the more I listen to Absurd, the more I surprisingly like it.

I've felt this way since last fall when the songs were released.

Hard Skool is such a "safe" song. A neutered version of a Guns N' Roses song.

Absurd, on the other hand, while not perfect, sounds more genuine. Like they wanted to take a risk and do something out-of-the-box.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Yeah, it sounds so disjointed. I hate their stupid, lazy approach more and more with each listen.

And what's next? Shitty songs like Atlas and State with the same stupid treatment. Meh.

The Chili Peppers are real musicians and a real band releasing real, new music.

But what's the point in releasing music nowadays? Nobody buys CDs anymore. And even if they write new music together, it wouldn't be half as good as Appetite.

Never understood these arguments. You wanna be a band? Act like a band!

• Like 2

HS was improved a lot imo. Crappy mix aside the whole epic feel of the original was unnecessary. Intro drags on and doesn't really go with the rest of the track, the new intro gets right into it. 

I've always enjoyed Silkworms and I think Absurd is pretty cool as well. Not sure which one I prefer between that and the village version though. 

Agree on mixing and mastering comments. Everything sounds horribly compressed and isn't all that easy to listen to as a result. 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Why would my GNR package go from Detroit to Ohio to Indianapolis to Wisconsin before coming to Chicago.  How does this make sense to anyone?

I live about 20 minutes from Ferndale, Michigan. 

Mine started in Ferndale, went over to Pittsburgh, sat for a few days, came back to Royal Oak, Michigan and then was delivered a few days later. 

• Haha 3

I'm so baffled that those were the best live tracks they decided to include. I have to double check to make sure I'm not listening to some Mickey Sing A Along tape.

I do like Hard Skool, I just can't get over the design and presentation/theme of the sleeve, that edgy "S" we all drew in middle school and the bell. It is a fun song to play in guitar. Somewhere there is a version that combines the best aspects of this version with the Village one leaked a few years ago.

The only reason I listen to Absurd is because I get tired of pressing the skip button rvery 3 minutes. I liked Silkworms better, the atmosphere, the chorus and overall vibe. The vocals on this sound like they are trying to catch up with the rest of the music.

Overall disappointing for it being the 1st physical release of "new" music with this line up. I really wanted to be excited for this.

I received my cassette and cd last week, they arrived pretty quickly after they announced they were being prepared to ship but I guess that isn’t the case with everyone.

For people like me who only bought the cassette or cd, does anyone know where I could hear the live version of Absurd from the vinyl?  

41 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Can’t decide which version of HardSkool I prefer, tbh. They both have pros and cons, imo.

My dad and girlfriend prefer the official version. I prefer the Village mix, however, I do love Slash's solo on the official version, maybe slightly more than Robin's. My dad said the official version sounded cleaner. I found the original to be more "dreamy" and seemed more cohesive of a song. The new one seems like a cut and paste job.

• Like 1