Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

So the video for hardskool on YouTube is at 2.8m views after 4 months.

RhCP new song “black summer” is at 14m views after one week.

Both had a key band member return after a long period, it seems that RHCP are more about the art and the fans and GnR are about the $.

I’d argue that slash is more popular than John fruschante, but I guess it’s because rhcp is more mainstream and has a great social media presence, professional management and are actual friends away from being in a band together.

watch and learn gnr

Edited by megaguns1982
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Both had a key band member return after a long period, it seems that RHCP are more about the art and the fans and GnR are about the $.

I’d argue that slash is more popular than John fruschante, but I guess it’s because rhcp is more mainstream and has a great social media presence, professional management and are actual friends away from being in a band together.

watch and learn gnr

I think GNR touring for 5 years with nothing new coming out probably has a lot to do with it. Nobody cares anymore. If stuff had come out instantly it'd be more popular. 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, megaguns1982 said:

watch and learn gnr

This has already been said, this is a stupid comparison. RHCP have been one of the biggest selling bands of the last twenty years. GnR hardly released music at all. If Slash had returned to the band in 1999, like Frusciante did in the RHCP, and released several hit records like the RHCP have, then this comparison might have made more sense, but this is not the case. RHCP have been way more relevant and successful in the last two decades.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

watch and learn gnr

Or maybe because RHCP sat down and worked together on new songs like a band should do. This, the right promotion and a proper music video helps. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

watch and learn gnr

Interesting. I hadn't seen those stats. That's quite a landslide. Guns have certainly become boring

Watch and learn will fall on deaf ears with GNR Management.  The Twitter feed consists of random black n white photos

11 hours ago, EvanG said:

This has already been said, this is a stupid comparison. RHCP have been one of the biggest selling bands of the last twenty years. GnR hardly released music at all. If Slash had returned to the band in 1999, like Frusciante did in the RHCP, and released several hit records like the RHCP have, then this comparison might have made more sense, but this is not the case. RHCP have been way more relevant and successful in the last two decades.

It's not a stupid comparison it's a fair assessment of how Guns popularity and relevance have fallen. And how useless they are at promoting anything. The social media team should be sacked. 

Guns touring has been successful as anyone over the last 6 years but the interest is dwindling 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WildStar said:

It's not a stupid comparison it's a fair assessment of how Guns popularity and relevance have fallen. And how useless they are at promoting anything. The social media team should be sacked. 

Guns touring has been successful as anyone over the last 6 years but the interest is dwindling 

It is a stupid comparison. What are you trying to prove by comparing numbers? That RHCP are way more popular? Well duh, I could have told you that before both bands released a video. A band with one top ten hit after the other in the last two decades vs. a band with no real hit since the 90's. Gee, I wonder who is more popular circa 2022 and will get more views on a YouTube video? 

As for promotion, again stating the obvious. Yes, GnR could promote a lot more. That being said, RHCP haven't gone out promoting their new single a lot yet either except for maybe a few interviews, but even without that, they would have reached a lot more views seeing as they have been a lot more relevant in the last twenty years.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Exactly. 

Some GN'R fans will try to justify anything 😂 there's nothing stupid about the comparison. If anything is "stupid" it's wasting time trying to come up with reasons why GN'R fails at eveything they do. 

The RHCP / GN'R comparison is valid on many levels. They're both rock bands. They've both gone through lineup changes over the years. They both bought back popular band members (fairly) recently. They both released new singles recently. 

The difference is this: RHCP didn't half ass it. Not only did they make a real video that people would want to watch, but they actually promoted it with more than a few shitty "Fn social media" posts. 

I'm not a huge RHCP fan, so I haven't actually listened to the song myself. But I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't sound like a 20 year old throw off song that's over produced and had even more layers added to it. 

As I said before, GN'R fans will try to justify anything. There's always an excuse for GN'R failing or why it's not fair to compare them to bands who actually give a shit. 

So yeah, there's nothing stupid whatsoever about the comparison. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

watch and learn gnr

Yeah ok. When RHCP  concert tickets are priced at $231 at MetLife , they really care about the fans. SMH.  These are not resale tickets either. They are  on TicketMaster.  Hey go ahead and  say that RHCP care about fans. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't sound like a 20 year old throw off song that's over produced and had even more layers added to it. 

I don't really like the song, they're just rehashing their usual stuff, but then again RHCP lost me when By The Way came out. I know I'm the minority on this and I don't want to argue whether it's a good song or not, because that's not the point. Many likes it and I get it.

The point is that it was promoted in a certain way, as simple as that. GNR could have certainly generated a bigger buzz if their new music was promoted with a real video (I saw the RHCP video at least twice on my usual music channel yesterday here in Italy), some interviews or tv appearances. Have you seen Slash, Myles & Co. playing Rocket Man at Stern's? Think if GNR went to a relevant show, played their new single and an Elton cover. Now that would create some buzz. 

Of course, none of that sounds likely. Half assed management? Sure. But if the band (well, Axl) was really interested in any of that, they would certainly ask Fernando or whoever is in charge to do something. It's safe to assume that the management is handling things this way because the band is ok with it. And if they're happy with it, more power to them.  

Not trying to justify them because I honestly couldn't care less, just trying to say that their promotion or lack thereof is probably not only due to management ineptitude but also a specific choice. As poor and questionable as you want, but a choice. 

I hope we'll get more music and I'll be crazy happy if they happen to do a good interview. That's always been the key with this band: hope, don't expect.

Edited by Twinaleblood
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

I don't really like the song, they're just rehashing their usual stuff, but then again RHCP lost me when By The Way came out. I know I'm the minority on this and I don't want to argue whether it's a good song or not., because that's not the point. Many likes it and I get it.

Exactly, I'm not crazy about the song, but I like it, and it does sound like something that could have been on Californication. Which is personally my favourite record by them.

People on here fail to comprehend what is actually being said. No one is justifying anything. Just saying that it should be clear for anyone to understand that a band who has been as relevant as RHCP over the last two decades, will be more popular, and therefore reach more views, than a band like GnR.

Even if GnR promoted the hell out of the new songs, it probably wouldn't get as many views as RHCP's new song because they have the last twenty years of mainstream success and new generations that became fans to fall back on. And that's great for them. That has nothing to do with justifying anything. But that is why comparing both bands in this situation makes no sense. If GnR were in the same position, then it would have been interesting to compare. Although I think RHCP still would have been more popular because their music is a lot more pop (since Californication) and mainstream. A catchy and poppy song like Black Summer will appeal to more people than a weird song like Absurd or a hard rocking song like Hard Skool, and that's fine. 

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

It is a stupid comparison. What are you trying to prove by comparing numbers? That RHCP are way more popular? Well duh, I could have told you that before both bands released a video. A band with one top ten hit after the other in the last two decades vs. a band with no real hit since the 90's. Gee, I wonder who is more popular circa 2022 and will get more views on a YouTube video? 

As for promotion, again stating the obvious. Yes, GnR could promote a lot more. That being said, RHCP haven't gone out promoting their new single a lot yet either except for maybe a few interviews, but even without that, they would have reached a lot more views seeing as they have been a lot more relevant in the last twenty years.

Hmmm it's comparing 2 Stadium Rock Bands. One has 2.8m views in 4 months and the other 14m in 1 week. It's an eye opener as it's not close it's a complete landslide.

A good and interesting comparison ... I'm going to start listening to this @megaguns1982more

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Exactly. 

Some GN'R fans will try to justify anything 😂 there's nothing stupid about the comparison. If anything is "stupid" it's wasting time trying to come up with reasons why GN'R fails at eveything they do. 

The RHCP / GN'R comparison is valid on many levels. They're both rock bands. They've both gone through lineup changes over the years. They both bought back popular band members (fairly) recently. They both released new singles recently. 

The difference is this: RHCP didn't half ass it. Not only did they make a real video that people would want to watch, but they actually promoted it with more than a few shitty "Fn social media" posts. 

I'm not a huge RHCP fan, so I haven't actually listened to the song myself. But I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't sound like a 20 year old throw off song that's over produced and had even more layers added to it. 

As I said before, GN'R fans will try to justify anything. There's always an excuse for GN'R failing or why it's not fair to compare them to bands who actually give a shit. 

So yeah, there's nothing stupid whatsoever about the comparison. 

Absolutely. All that too. Very valid comparison. I didn't think of the video. Effort and reward over half arsed.

Imagine if Led Zep released a new song. They've played 1 show I 42 years. I reckon they'd get more than 2.8m views but that would probably be a stupid comparison... because ... it just is

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Hmmm it's comparing 2 Stadium Rock Bands. One has 2.8m views in 4 months and the other 14m in 1 week. It's an eye opener as it's not close it's a complete landslide.

A good and interesting comparison ... I'm going to start listening to this @megaguns1982more

Not an eyeopener to me, but completely predictable. GNR is a nostalgia band for everyone. No one is waiting for (or expecting) new music except us diehards.  People going to GNR shows are going for the nostalgia of 30 years ago. They don't care about anything else. RHCP is and has been an active band with hits and new generations of fans at least every decade. To me, nothing can beat BSSM, but that's because it's of my time. Friends of mine who are younger, think Californication is their best (might be wrong, maybe it's Stadium Arcadium). The point is RHCP are an active band with lots of fans of all ages and casuals looking to check out the new single. GNR is more of a curiosity thing. (I know there's a handful of fans that prefer CD to AFD, but they probably don't even make up 1%.)

Comparing RHCP to GNR in 1992: okay. In 2022, to me, both bands are on completely different planets.

As to watch and learn: :lol:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WildStar said:

It's pointless because the criteria are not the same. Seriously, how many times do I have to repeat myself?

Be honest, is it really so surprising that a mainstream pop/rock band (that's what RHCP are these days) that makes catchy music and who has had a lot of hit songs over the course of the last 2 decades, will get more views on YouTube or any other platform like that, than a hardrock band like GnR, who may still be popular judging by their tour success, but who hasn't had a real hit single since the 90's and hasn't really reached a new generation of fans like the RHCP have? RHCP were huge in the early 90's but reached a whole new fanbase and became even more popular when Frusciante joined the band for the second time in the late 90's and they started writing more melodic and poppy songs.

I honestly couldn't care less who gets the most views. I love both bands and hope both do well. It's not a competition for me. But it's silly comparing two bands that came from a completely different place in the last two decades. It just makes no sense. It's obvious who will be the most popular, regardless of how much they will promote, and that's okay.

edit; @Lio makes a good point, comparing both bands in 1992, okay, but in 2022, no way.

Edited by EvanG