Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

whilst i like hardskool and absurd and am genuinely more interested in everything written 98-2010, this does highlight how shite and irrelevant GnR are now. RHCP have 8m views on YT in 3 days. Gnr have 2.8m in 4 months on YT and 900k on the lyric video 2 months ago. For a song FT Axl and Slash that is truly pathetic and embarrassing. Any other management or marketing team would be sacked and never work again. My band has 12,000 views in 2 months on our music videos and we are fucking nobodies with no record deal. To not even get GnRs lyric video to 1 million. dreadful. I don't buy the 'GnR aren't relevant'. They are still selling out stadiums around the world and all other heritage bands are getting waaaay more. So obviously there is a market. 

You get what you give, simple as that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

whilst i like hardskool and absurd and am genuinely more interested in everything written 98-2010, this does highlight how shite and irrelevant GnR are now. RHCP have 8m views on YT in 3 days. Gnr have 2.8m in 4 months on YT and 900k on the lyric video 2 months ago. For a song FT Axl and Slash that is truly pathetic and embarrassing. Any other management or marketing team would be sacked and never work again. My band has 12,000 views in 2 months on our music videos and we are fucking nobodies with no record deal. To not even get GnRs lyric video to 1 million. dreadful. I don't buy the 'GnR aren't relevant'. They are still selling out stadiums around the world and all other heritage bands are getting waaaay more. So obviously there is a market. 

While I agree with all of this, I think another thing to take into account is that GnR has “an image problem.” It’s hard to picture a GnR music video like the one RHCP just did with present-day Axl, Slash and Duff there, let alone next to the other four members (who aren’t even really members anyways, let’s face it).

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Also, too, not insignificant, RHCP had a couple of brand-new interviews ready to go out on the morning of the video release and had quotes going around.

Sure, I know no one buys magazines anymore, but that NME interview gets tossed around social media/reddit/discord, quotes get chopped out of it and then provide headlines for hundreds of other sites & accounts, and, generally speaking, there was some fkn movement and momentum.

When Hard School came out, it wasn't even posted on every GNR members' social media.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 4

On 2/4/2022 at 12:06 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

I heard the new RHCP single on the radio this morning and it really highlighted what a mess the GNR singles were.

This is what a legacy band's "reunion single" should sound like:

Classic RHCP sound with modern production. I'm sure this is gonna get tons of airplay over the next few months.

Hardschool on the other hand, didn't get much radio play because it sounds exactly like what it is - nuGNR feat. Slash and Duff, all sloppily pasted together.

Ugh, the Chili Peppers are so boring. The first four albums are a lot of fun. BSSM was a monster hit and had some good stuff on it, but it all went downhill after that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoBucky said:

Ugh, the Chili Peppers are so boring. The first four albums are a lot of fun. BSSM was a monster hit and had some good stuff on it, but it all went downhill after that. 

By the Way is a great album, I’d suggest giving that one another try.

4 hours ago, JimiRose said:

No one is saying that there is not a market for GnR, but RHCP are simply more popular because they've had, like, 20 top ten hits in the last almost 25 years. GnR hardly released music at all. They have been way more relevant in the last few decades, so of course they are going to get more views on a YouTube video.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

7 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

The more I listen to HardSkool, the more boring it gets. Whereas the more I listen to Absurd, the more I surprisingly like it.

Hardskool is like that crush you’ve chased your whole life who you finally get to date, only to realize that they’re not actually as cool as you thought they were, whereas Absurd is like that one friend you’ve had since childhood who you suddenly realize was your true love this whole time.

Wow man......That's deep!

Whats My World like?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

The more I listen to HardSkool, the more boring it gets. Whereas the more I listen to Absurd, the more I surprisingly like it.

Exactly my thoughts.

I feel like Slash&Duff really improved Silkworms (which I never really liked TBH). Absurd feels more cohesive and more of a proper “song” than SW.

Hard Skool, on the other side, was somewhat ruined IMO. It lost that epicness that the original Hardschool had. The new version sounds cheap and plastic to my ears, almost generic. I do think that some particular aspects of the song were improved, but overall I think that the original version was much better.

That’s why I’m afraid of what they could do with Atlas, which is one of my favorite Gn’R songs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Hardskool is like that crush you’ve chased your whole life who you finally get to date, only to realize that they’re not actually as cool as you thought they were, whereas Absurd is like that one friend you’ve had since childhood who you suddenly realize was your true love this whole time.

By the way - i actually completely agree with you!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Exactly my thoughts.

I feel like Slash&Duff really improved Silkworms (which I never really liked TBH). Absurd feels more cohesive and more of a proper “song” than SW.

Hard Skool, on the other side, was somewhat ruined IMO. It lost that epicness that the original Hardschool had. The new version sounds cheap and plastic to my ears, almost generic. I do think that some particular aspects of the song were improved, but overall I think that the original version was much better.

That’s why I’m afraid of what they could do with Atlas, which is one of my favorite Gn’R songs. 

Agree about Hardschool. The loud mix doesn't help, but it (obviously) just sounds like nuGNR featuring Slash and Duff... for all the shit CD got about being cut/pasted together, Hardschool is just as bad or worse. The simplified drums and the effects on the vocals are disappointing, too.

I don't really care about Atlas, I don't think Slash would play a better solo than Brian May and I have zero faith that 20+ years of tinkering has benefited the song overall, I'm just glad we got to hear the early version of it. I could imagine Slash and Duff all over a song like Mustache or Oklahoma, though.

Completely disagree about Absurd though. Silkworms was missing a chorus, but it was structured better. Absurd has the 2 verses edited together at the beginning of the song, and then unnecessarily repeats the first throughout the song and is arguably also missing a chorus. It's Slash and Duff pasted over the "Bumblefoot demo" and the more I listen to it, the less I like it. Silkworms was still a bottom-tier GNR song but Absurd is their worst song aside from My World.

I don't particularly care about the copy and pasting, but i really don't get the simplified drums. the drums were ace in the leak. The only other issue with the mix si the vocals sound soooo compressed they almost sound like they are recorded in a separate room and arent even part of the song. I can only compare it to sounding like the instrumental is coming through my speakers and the vocal is coming out of my tv in the next room with the volume on high.

However, it's still a really cool and catchy song, but like everything with GnR , it should be and could be so much better in every single aspect. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I don't particularly care about the copy and pasting, but i really don't get the simplified drums. the drums were ace in the leak. The only other issue with the mix si the vocals sound soooo compressed they almost sound like they are recorded in a separate room and arent even part of the song. I can only compare it to sounding like the instrumental is coming through my speakers and the vocal is coming out of my tv in the next room with the volume on high.

However, it's still a really cool and catchy song, but like everything with GnR , it should be and could be so much better in every single aspect. 

Yeah, it sounds so disjointed. I hate their stupid, lazy approach more and more with each listen.

And what's next? Shitty songs like Atlas and State with the same stupid treatment. Meh.

The Chili Peppers are real musicians and a real band releasing real, new music.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 2