Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

And honestly, this. This right here is what's destroyed a lot of my personal passion for GN'R. If the guy running the band doesn't seem to give a shit, why should I? 

I know I say this all the time, but I'm so glad I'm constantly looking out for new music and new artists. I have no shortage of great music to listen to from bands who actually care about their art and their fans. 

Amen, brother...preach!

I'm not trying to insult anybody, 'ya know?  I love the crew here.  It's just that I feel like I can really get a sense for the people who listen to a wide swath of music and a diversity of bands simply by reading the posts here.

I sometimes feel like those who constantly rationalize and make excuses for GN'R's perpetual dysfunction are almost completely unaware that there are still countless bands out there who still record and release albums on a regular basis.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I sometimes feel like those who constantly rationalize and make excuses for GN'R's perpetual dysfunction are almost completely unaware that there are still countless bands out there who still record and release albums on a regular basis.

I don't see too many people rationalizing or making excuses for GnR on here. I am sure most fans here don't like the way the band operates, I sure don't, but a lot of them have accepted it, though, and take it for what it is, instead of dwelling on how abnormal this band is all the time.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I don't see too many people rationalizing or making excuses for GnR on here. I am sure most fans here don't like the way the band operates, I sure don't, but a lot of them have accepted it, though, and take it for what it is, instead of dwelling on how abnormal this band is all the time.

I'm certainly not saying anything derogatory about you, I'm speaking strictly about the content of the post, but, I genuinely can't wrap my head around posts like this around here.

It's like some form of weird cognitive dissonance.  Any criticism is met with a dismissive hand-waving that says, "Hey, I really don't care, it doesn't bother me too much."

I don't spend my real life dwelling on GN'R and their lack of productivity, either, but, in the context of this board, and these conversations, we're all spending time free on here, and many of have us have post counts in the thousands.  Fandom takes many different forms.  We obviously all care to a degree well beyond what a casual fan would.

To me, people who complain about excessive criticism use that as an easy shield, because maybe they have a hard time admitting that opinions which may differ from their own really bother them.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Amen, brother...preach!

I'm not trying to insult anybody, 'ya know?  I love the crew here.  It's just that I feel like I can really get a sense for the people who listen to a wide swath of music and a diversity of bands simply by reading the posts here.

Yep. 

I've mentioned this before, but we have people over every Friday to spin records, listen to steaming and discuss music. We start somewhere and go where the mood takes us. 

This past Friday alone, we listened to the following artists:

Beastie Boys, Whitney Houston, JD McPherson, Def Leppard, Green Day, Sturgill Simpson, The Black Crowes, Big Star, Van Halen, Billie Eilish, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, John Mayall, Susan Tedeschi. 

Somewhere in the mix we did spin the HS 7" but then we quickly moved on to other artists, old and new who either had prolific careers or are just starting out on their journey. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yep. 

I've mentioned this before, but we have people over every Friday to spin records, listen to steaming and discuss music. We start somewhere and go where the mood takes us.

Russ, that's the coolest shit I've ever heard in my life!

Sounds like my ideal hang, especially now, at my age LOL...That's it...I'm flying out!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Russ, that's the coolest shit I've ever heard in my life!

Sounds like my ideal hang, especially now, at my age LOL...That's it...I'm flying out!

Haha cool. We do the same thing nearly every Friday and have done it for just under 9 years now. We've had a lot of forum members and even some artists come to hang with us. If you're ever near Detroit for any reason, hit me up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, We love Axl Rose said:

Live performance of Absurd is on vinyl. 
Both live tracks sound really good. I'm glad they chose You`re Crazy because it's one of the songs where Axl sounded good on the 2021 tour.

Damn. I didn't know there is a live version on Absurd on vinyl.

Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I'm certainly not saying anything derogatory about you, I'm speaking strictly about the content of the post, but, I genuinely can't wrap my head around posts like this around here.

It's like some form of weird cognitive dissonance.  Any criticism is met with a dismissive hand-waving that says, "Hey, I really don't care, it doesn't bother me too much."

I don't spend my real life dwelling on GN'R and their lack of productivity, either, but, in the context of this board, and these conversations, we're all spending time free on here, and many of have us have post counts in the thousands.  Fandom takes many different forms.  We obviously all care to a degree well beyond what a casual fan would.

To me, people who complain about excessive criticism use that as an easy shield, because maybe they have a hard time admitting that opinions which may differ from their own really bother them.

I think there are all different kinds of fans on here and everyone handles the ''abnormality'', or ''dysfunction'', that is this band, differently. I don't read the GnR section too often when the band isn't active because there's not a lot to talk about and it's usually people going in circles anyway. Most of my posts were made at the non-GnR sections.

I think most people share the same GnR criticism. No news, no interviews, no new record. Is any fan happy about that? I don't think so. But it's true, I think some people are emotionally a lot more invested in this band than others. Criticizing the band is fair and justified, but when you see how repetitive and frustrated some posters get, it does make you scratch your head sometimes... fortunately, most here aren't like that. Others simply accept this band for what they are and don't make a big fuss about it. Doesn't mean they like how the band operates, but they are able to handle it better, and like you said... there's so much good music out there. I really won't lose any sleep if GnR never releases another record. Too bad, sure, but fortunately many other bands I love, maybe even more than GnR, do release a lot of music.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

I'm not gonna continue the debate about The Chili Peppers' new single and the number of views vs. "Hard Skool." But reading about the song and upcoming record certainly pissed me off in regard to GNR.

They (meaning Axl, Slash, and Duff) haven't even gotten together to write or record ONE goddamn song. Not one. But Slash has released two records with his band and Duff has released a solo record and co-wrote and recorded on the last Ozzy record.

It isn't GNR management that's the problem either, even though they're certainly unprofessional. We know what, or who the problem is.

Right, ultimately I think if you look at all of the factors in GNR and eliminating all the people who have proven to be productive with new material over the years, Axl is the last and only factor you can really take as to why the only stuff coming out is a slow-dribble of old songs Slash and Duff essentially added parts to ProTools sessions on

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

6 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

It isn't GNR management that's the problem either, even though they're certainly unprofessional. We know what, or who the problem is.

but it's not exactly breaking news. Makes the comparison between Axl and RHCP even weirder and doesn't work imo. It's like, we know what the deal is. We're not going to get the same shit that most fans of other bands get and not directed at you, but just because there is a ton of great shit other than Gn'R doesn't make me care less about new Guns tunes or the band itself. No other band sounds like Gn'R to me and especially hard rock from bands of that era.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

but it's not exactly breaking news. Makes the comparison between Axl and RHCP even weirder and doesn't work imo. It's like, we know what the deal is. We're not going to get the same shit that most fans of other bands get and not directed at you, but just because there is a ton of great shit other than Gn'R doesn't make me care less about new Guns tunes or the band itself. No other band sounds like Gn'R to me and especially hard rock from bands of that era.

Even GnR doesn't sound like that anymore... and probably never will.

Axl is getting too old to bring that much energy to it and without Izzy they're missing the "rock n roll" component. Slash and Duff are great, but their music after GnR  has sounded differently than GnR as well. VR was great though in its own right.

And the leaks showcase a completely different sound. More like CD II instead of going back to AFD or UYI.

Unless Slash and Duff write new material for Axl, I don't expect much from this band anymore. They are a touring band, reliving the past and that's fine. I've seen them live a couple of times, and enjoyed the nostalgia trip for what it is.

Might see them again. Who knows. But I'm not expecting anything new.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lethalis said:

And the leaks showcase a completely different sound. More like CD II instead of going back to AFD or UYI.

Thats good! 

A hybrid between Chinese era and a little bit more of the traditional sound because of Slash and Duff. 

Its a shame we never ever will get the complete versions of these songs from the actual period they were recorded and meant..

44 minutes ago, betterman said:

Thats good! 

A hybrid between Chinese era and a little bit more of the traditional sound because of Slash and Duff. 

I'm not sure that works as well as people hope. Mixing these different styles is just really hard. Industrial blues lol.

It's better to do one thing and stick to it.

1 hour ago, Lethalis said:

I'm not sure that works as well as people hope. Mixing these different styles is just really hard. Industrial blues lol.

It's better to do one thing and stick to it.

The best would be if they'd get Izzy back and write new music that fits their current taste and Axl's voice.

You know, like real musicians in a real band.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

The best would be if they'd get Izzy back and write new music that fits their current taste and Axl's voice.

You know, like real musicians in a real band.

GNR should just get rid of Axl and replace him with Carrot Top. I bet he would be far more productive recording new music. 

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

There are thousands of artists more productive than Axl. Not exactly big news.

How anyone can get "pissed off" about an artist not being productive is beyond me. 

Because GNR is my favorite band.

So yeah, I am mad there is so much old material that has yet to release, and I am mad that even during a pandemic that shut down live touring, GNR couldn't be bothered to write and record together. I'm mad the guy who once had the vision to forge a new path with a new-look GNR is content to just tour the old hits and lost the drive or desire to put out new music.

Like Russ, I have a voracious appetite for music, so there is no shortage for me of good, new stuff to listen to. But I will quote Chuck Klosterman here: "The final truth is this: [Axl Rose] makes the best songs. They sound the way I want songs to sound."

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Because GNR is my favorite band.

So yeah, I am mad there is so much old material that has yet to release, and I am mad that even during a pandemic that shut down live touring, GNR couldn't be bothered to write and record together. I'm mad the guy who once had the vision to forge a new path with a new-look GNR is content to just tour the old hits and lost the drive or desire to put out new music.

Like Russ, I have a voracious appetite for music, so there is no shortage for me of good, new stuff to listen to. But I will quote Chuck Klosterman here: "The final truth is this: [Axl Rose] makes the best songs. They sound the way I want songs to sound."

Probably more or less my favorite band, too, but getting mad because they are not doing as much as we would have wanted? No, that's alien to me. Maybe I'm the glass half full kind of person who is just happy about all the band has given me? Don't get me wrong, I am not denying the plethora of missed opportunities or the low productivity, I just don't get emotional about it. It isn't even close to getting on my list of things that drive me mad. 

• Like 1