Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

Just now, Pele said:

The song is fine.  I enjoyed it.

It's not a win.  We all lose.

This should be a hard dose of reality to anyone expecting new songs.  Instead people still seem to think desperately cutting and pasting his old vocals over new music means he has an album of new songs ready to go.

It just seems like you're hellbent on a narrative where the fans lose out literally no matter what.  Just enjoy the song brother, life's too short.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pele said:

The song is fine.  I enjoyed it.

It's not a win.  We all lose.

This should be a hard dose of reality to anyone expecting new songs.  Instead people still seem to think desperately cutting and pasting his old vocals over new music means he has an album of new songs ready to go.

They added effects to Silkworms too.

It's partly to create the illusion there is something new there.

Holy shit dude, just enjoy the music, kick back and have a beer or something. It’s a good song, it’s a good time as a GNR fan to be around.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

It just seems like you're hellbent on a narrative where the fans lose out literally no matter what.  Just enjoy the song brother, life's too short.

Unfortunately yeah, if what I'm saying is right, we all lose.

I feel we are almost being trolled right now by a guy getting musicians to record over his 20 year vocal demos and calling it new GNR songs.

Like I've said - it's Stockholm Syndrome at this point.  You're all happy with this so why does he need to write/record anything new?  Looking forward to the next 'new' song Atlas Shrugged?

First listen I thought it was Ok but not the rip-roaring “second debut” I had hoped for (we’ll just ignore absurd for now). Felt to me that the vocals were a bit too detached from the music, sounded like they had been copy and pasted over a separate track. I guess all music is done that way but just sounded like it didn’t match particularly well. Will definitely listen again when I can access it without messing around with a VPN

Edited by dave94

35 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Referring to the bold part, do you mean he's heard the other new tracks that they're planning to release (new album etc)?

So I've just listened to it once, I'm going to wait for it to go on Spotify now. The middle guitar solo sounds like classic Slash like something from Don't Damn Me and the slide part harkens back to The Garden. I'm not thrilled with the cut n paste stuff but I think Slash and Duff would want to put out material that they've written from scratch so I think we'll get that too. I think they're trying to compromise; do a few of Axl's old songs which they like and then he'll work on new stuff that the band comes up with. 

It's worth bearing in mind that both of them actually liked Chinese Democracy so they may genuinely be pretty enthusiastic about this whole process. I mean, I like it, even if I wish it was a more organic sounding record. It's still the work of Axl Rose and there's a lot of good stuff there. I just wish some of the prog metal and electronic touches weren't there.

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

It’s be cool to hear ask new music from this lineup but considering we have one album since 1991 from Axl, I’ll take this and Chinese songs happily

That is my mindset too.  I would ideally love new songs with all the recorded parts being from the same sessions/timeframe, but at this point if it has Axl/Slash/Duff on it in any form and it sounds good, I'll take it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pele said:

Unfortunately yeah, if what I'm saying is right, we all lose.

I feel we are almost being trolled right now by a guy getting musicians to record over his 20 year vocal demos and calling it new GNR songs.

Like I've said - it's Stockholm Syndrome at this point.  You're all happy with this so why does he need to write/record anything new?  Looking forward to the next 'new' song Atlas Shrugged?

Holly definition of glass half empty kind of person right here

• Like 1

Just now, Homefuck said:

Ok, thanks! What's the evidence supporting the case that it's from '96?

I think because since Axl called the Checkmate leak "Jackie Chan" in the forum chats and Duff in a interview around '96 mentioned they were working on a song for a Jackie Chan movie.  It could be, but it also could be two unrelated things as well, so it is hard to say unless a band member elaborates on it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

We can only speculate on that. A strong case has been made that it's from '96.

Hopefully they'll tell us in the near future.

Hopefully it will be added to Ascap soon like it was with Absurd, even if that won't 100% clear any doubts. I mean, Slash & Duff are credited on Absurd so they can get royalties, it could be the case here too. But it will be interesting to see if someone else is credited for this song other than the big 3 and who.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

I think because since Axl called the Checkmate leak "Jackie Chan" in the forum chats and Duff in a interview around '96 mentioned they were working on a song for a Jackie Chan movie.  It could be, but it also could be two unrelated things as well, so it is hard to say unless a band member elaborates on it

Sounds plausible. It would be a weird coincidence otherwise.

Glad they are releasing stuff and most of y'all are happy. 

Personally after two listens (one about 30mins after release) and then just now. 

Controversial but I prefer Absurd. 

But regardless of that comparison, the drums sound awful, not the beats themselves, but the tone and mixing, whilst the song itself feels like they just lumped Slash whaling away using his Amplitube plug in, and turned up duffs bass to remind us he is there. Some good vocals albeit old. 

Not much soul and feels to me to be far removed from any GNR sound (in a bad way), the rockers on CD are much better and sound bigger. Maybe it's the mix I don't know but it just doesn't sound particularly real. 

Excited stuff is coming out and I'll continue to spin the song and give my ears a chance to digest properly but initially it's a bit of a 'meh' song and sounds like a demo being polished.

To be fair the leaked demo ages ago I wasn't too hot on and couldn't see the excitement for it, but held hope due to it being a demo. 

Imo they need to just get together and make new music in a studio. 

Underwhelmed, but can understand why a lot of folk enjoy it and glad loads of you are stoked with it. 

2 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

Ok, thanks! What's the evidence supporting the case that it's from '96?

Like @WhazUp said, Duff had mentioned in an interview in July 1996 that they were about to work on a song for the next Jackie Chan movie. Matt Sorum also has mentioned it in his unreleased book (saying it was a song Axl had and it had no vocals yet). And in 2008 Axl said, referring to the then leaked "Checkmate" clip, that "Checkmate" was a fake title and the working title was Jackie Chan. That's too much of a coincidence.