So...whats next?

7 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I know I've mentioned this one on here a bunch, but, look how the public at large reacted to the first Van Halen album with DLR in twenty-eight years!  Killer songs, great performances, and it was basically one single, big articles for a couple of weeks, late night performance, aaaannnd....back to playing in front of the same fanbase  who was already going to see them on their tours.

Yeah but if memory serves me right, a lot of Van Halen fans were disappointed with that album? They also did a lot of press! I'm not a huge VH fan so my opinion on this topic is irrelevant. GNR are already playing stadiums though... apart from people on forums (i.e. their slightly more committed than casual fans like me, to hardcore collectors)... is a new GNR record really going to do anything at this point? Axl chucked away his best years and tried to do it solo under the GNR moniker and largely failed to deliver (though I know there were some seriously shit hot performances in the nu-Guns era). I'm not entirely what motivation they have to release a new album. Personally I don't think it'll happen.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Honestly, yes.  Any side-project talk is rubbish.  Of course, the expectations for a new GN'R album will be higher, BUT, the Conspirators have been Slash's main musical outlet for ELEVEN years now.  Just about as long as he had been in GN'R, prior to the reunion.

Guns, like it or not, is pretty much where he pays the bills, at this point.

SMKC is where Slash has his creative outlet.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Yeah but if memory serves me right, a lot of Van Halen fans were disappointed with that album? They also did a lot of press! I'm not a huge VH fan so my opinion on this topic is irrelevant. GNR are already playing stadiums though... apart from people on forums (i.e. their slightly more committed than casual fans like me, to hardcore collectors)... is a new GNR record really going to do anything at this point? Axl chucked away his best years and tried to do it solo under the GNR moniker and largely failed to deliver (though I know there were some seriously shit hot performances in the nu-Guns era). I'm not entirely what motivation they have to release a new album. Personally I don't think it'll happen.

Honestly, there was a time (sorry) where a new record may have had an impact beyond the pre-existing fan bubble, but, in my humble opinion, that time has LONG since gone, hence, why I've been saying I don't expect much more than maybe a couple more singles.

As I always say, happy to be proven wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oneway23 said:

Cuz, I had family and the majority of my friends mocking me, doing a snake dance, and asking if Axl Rose was "still a thing" wayyyyy back in 1994!!!

Certainly hasn't gotten any easier being a GN'R fan in the years since!

Haha! I feel you there. All of my friends that are into music constantly take the piss out of me for my love of GNR. 

They're not exactly thought of very fondly in certain circles! 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

13 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Honestly, there was a time (sorry) where a new record may have had an impact beyond the pre-existing fan bubble, but, in my humble opinion, that time has LONG since gone, hence, why I've been saying I don't expect much more than maybe a couple more singles.

As I always say, happy to be proven wrong.

Looks we are in the same boat then! Budge up now!! :P Realistically when do you think that time passed? Had they struck with an album hot on the tails of the first reunion tour, would that have been big news? 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Haha! I feel you there. All of my friends that are into music constantly take the piss out of me for my love of GNR. 

They're not exactly thought of very fondly in certain circles! 

Yeah I hear you there as well. A lot of my mates are big metal/rock fans and most of them just don't like GNR at all for some reason. When one enquires as to why... it's always one name and one name only... and that name is... of course... Chris F'N Webber! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Looks we are in the same boat then! Budge up now!! :P Realistically when do you think that time passed? Had they struck with an album hot on the tails of the first reunion tour, would that have been big news? 

Oof...honestly?  Hard to say, really.  That Van Halen album came out nine years ago (damn, I'm old!), and, that was about five years after they had started their own semi-reunion tour.

For Guns N' Roses, are we talking about making an impact outside of this forum?  Realistically, I don't think an album coming out in 2016 would have had the result many on here envision in their heads.

The time of GN'R having any chance of being swept into the public zeitgeist, in any substantial way, in my humble opinion, was around the turn of the century.

With the utmost respect, any hope of GN'R ushering in a new era of dominance is largely a pipe dream held aloft by mega-fans & die-hards with little to no objectivity.

The best thing to hope for is that the existing fanbase be content with what they produce.  Anything more than that is a pleasant surprise.

• Like 2

Cuz, I had family and the majority of my friends mocking me, doing a snake dance, and asking if Axl Rose was "still a thing" wayyyyy back in 1994!!!

Certainly hasn't gotten any easier being a GN'R fan in the years since!

Are you sure about that? My experience is that it's way easier being a GNR fan these days.

In the nineties there was this weird alternative vs classic rock thing going on. And after GNR broke up GNR became pretty much a joke.

I don't sense that kind of mentality anywhere these days. The only people who really mock GNR these days are some people who still think they're living in the nineties and still think there's some kind of a Axl vs Kurt Cobain war going on. 😂

But for everyone else GNR is like The Rolling Stones or AC/DC. Just a legendary band. Even people who don't listen to rock music respect the band.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah the single will be out in January or December at the latest so them being on the road before the release is not that unusual. The promotion started today so I'd guess we have a single end of this month start of next though. Myles is on tour through December free from the road between Jan-end of May. GNR Start up again in June, Alter Bridge hit the studio in April. That leaves Jan-March for a quick tour of the US and maybe a rapid week or two in Europe.

I thought AB was going into the studio in the fall after Myles' summer solo dates? That leaves Jan-May for SMKC tour.

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

It's known for quite some time now that the single release will be this month. I think it will be released in the first half of October.

It might be this week.

31 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Yes, because GnR was in the news more with the reunion.

20 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Are you sure about that? My experience is that it's way easier being a GNR fan these days.

In the nineties there was this weird alternative vs classic rock thing going on. And after GNR broke up GNR became pretty much a joke.

I don't sense that kind of mentality anywhere these days. The only people who really mock GNR these days are some people who still think they're living in the nineties and still think there's some kind of a Axl vs Kurt Cobain war going on. 😂

But for everyone else GNR is like The Rolling Stones or AC/DC. Just a legendary band. Even people who don't listen to rock music respect the band.

Brother, I don't have any objective demographic data with quantifiable metrics in front of me over here!  I was just referencing my own, personal, experience with friends and family, not making some grand proclamation.  Definitely wasn't looking for people to jump in and actually defend the band LOL. I have no earthly idea.  Maybe it's easier being a fan now because Guns fans from the old days are all middle-aged and hopefully have a few more things to concern themselves with.

You seem to have a much better grasp on the larger world, but, I think you may be throwing around a couple of large assumptions there.  The Rolling Stones?  They've been active for FIFTY years and have THIRTY studio albums!  Similar with AC/DC.  Appreciate your passion for Guns, but, easy there.

Edited by oneway23

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

There were a few singles that got mainstream radio play; tattoo, she’s the woman, and stay frosty. It was very similar to guns in the fact that it was about 5 years after their “reunion” and that most, if not all were leftover songs from EVH’s vault. Definitely sounds familiar, they also did a music video for tattoo that was similar to their jump video. Personally, I’d be happy if GNR received that level of success with a new album. I’d say Guns are a few years older now, than VH was then?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

2016 would have been good but in reality, around 2005 would probably have been perfect - particularly given rock still had a foot in the mainstream.

A new album will make a big splash as it will be advertised accordingly….however it’s extremely unlikely to have longevity. See AC/DC etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Lies They Tell said:

Haha - I really don't think people that mock GNR are stuck in the nineties! 

I think they probably just think GNR are a bit shit and a bit of a joke. But I would say it's got easier since the 2000s! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I thought AB was going into the studio in the fall after Myles' summer solo dates? That leaves Jan-May for SMKC tour.

It might be this week.

Yes, because GnR was in the news more with the reunion.

I read somewhere that AB were going to record in April, I could be wrong.

And you're in 2018 had GNR released a new song or album it would have been been much bigger news.

Not to shit on what they released, but it's not their best work. My honest opinion on HardSkool is a 6.5/10 and Absurd is about a 6/10 that's not great. GNR need to go back to the drawing board figure out A) what's the strongest material and lead with that B) figure out a marketing plan that involves some videos. There's market research out that talks about how people don't interact with things when there's no visual to go with it, that's the same for facebook statuses of just text or in this case a song without a video. Your reach is vastly improved with some sort of visual... I know both songs had "semi videos" with animated movements, but that's basically the same as a still image in this context. Animated lyric videos are an easy way to do a video without having to get all 7 members of the band together. Not sure how "pussy full of maggots" would have done in a lyric video though😄

Just now, oneway23 said:

Brother, I don't have any objective demographic data with quantifiable metrics in front of me over here!  I was just referencing my own, personal, experience with friends and family, not making some grand proclamation.  Definitely wasn't looking for people to jump in and actually defend the band LOL. I have no earthly idea.  Maybe it's easier being a fan now because Guns fans from the old days are all middle-aged and hopefully have a few more things to concern themselves with.

You seem to have a much better grasp on the larger world, but, I think you may be throwing around a couple of large assumptions there.  The Rolling Stones?  They've been active for FIFTY years and have THIRTY studio albums!  Similar with AC/DC.  Appreciate your passion for Guns, but, easy there.

Oh, there's no way on earth GNR are classed in the same league as bands like the Rolling Stones or AC/DC! No chance. The only place you'd hear that view is on a GNR forum! 

Whether we like it or not, to most people GNR are a top hat, a kilt, a singer who rants and turns up late, a couple of karaoke songs and a cheap option for fancy dress. 

I hate that that's the way it is, but there we go. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Oh, there's no way on earth GNR are classed in the same league as bands like the Rolling Stones or AC/DC! No chance. The only place you'd hear that view is on a GNR forum! 

Whether we like it or not, to most people GNR are a top hat, a kilt, a singer who rants and turns up late, a couple of karaoke songs and a cheap option for fancy dress. 

Oh what the fuck maaaaaan... what about nu-Guns, the buckets, the braids, the alien, the consistent and multiple cancellations of a gig in Glasgow that still boils the piss out of teenage me, Sebastian Bach, the ever delays of an album that most people had heard by the time it was released years, and of course the legendary 2002 MTV Video Music Awa... I'll shut the fuck up now and get ma coat!!!! 😁😁😁

Agree with you fully that GNR are nowhere bloody near same level as The Stones or AC/DC. I remember hearing Adler on Eddie Trunk and he said something like... a reunion of the original GNR would be the biggest reunion ever. Somebody then pointed out Led Zeppelin and he didn't seem to grasp that Zep might dwarf GNR in terms of influence and appeal.

17 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

For many, MANY people GN'R are "the Sweet Child O Mine or November Rain guys". 

They're nowhere NEAR the discussion with bands like the Stones or ACDC. 

• Like 1

Just now, 19AT5 said:

Oh what the fuck maaaaaan... what about nu-Guns, the buckets, the braids, the alien, the consistent and multiple cancellations of a gig in Glasgow that still boils the piss out of teenage me, Sebastian Bach, the ever delays of an album that most people had heard by the time it was released years, and of course the legendary 2002 MTV Video Music Awa... I'll shut the fuck up now and get ma coat!!!! 😁😁😁

Agree with you fully that GNR are nowhere bloody near same level as The Stones or AC/DC. I remember hearing Adler on Eddie Trunk and he said something like... a reunion of the original GNR would be the biggest reunion ever. Somebody then pointed out Led Zeppelin and he didn't seem to grasp that Zep might dwarf GNR in terms of influence and appeal.

Haha - you're talking to someone that was a huge fan of Nu-GNR! Still rate those years incredibly highly! 

• GNFNR 1

GN'R were definitely on that trajectory, no doubt about it. The potential for that level of legendary status was so unbelievably great.  Unfortunately, they were always a live wire and on a knife's edge.  Anyone there during their actual run knows that the likelihood of implosion was just as strong.  It was baked in from the beginning.

They couldn't keep it together and things went off the rails.  Far from the first.

As for NuGn'R, I was onboard for every last second, just the same! 

Edited by oneway23

I wasn't really looking for a big argument either. I was mainly just talking about my own experiences as well. Especially now that Slash and Duff are back in the band, my experience has been that GNR has become like any other classic rock band. You rarely see anyone mocking the band, which was more or less the norm in the early 2000's. So in that sense it's way easier to be a GNR fan these days.

You kinda misunderstood what I meant with the comparison to The Rolling Stones and AC/DC as well. I was talking about casuals and especially the younger generations. These people know barely anything about Axl's reputation. All they know is that GNR is a legendary classic rock band. In that sense it's very much comparable to The Rolling Stones or AC/DC. The young people of today know perhaps three songs from The Rolling Stones, They know perhaps three songs from AC/DC and the know perhaps three songs from GNR. In fact GNR beats The Rolling Stones in streaming numbers and that's not a passionate fanboy comment. It's just a fact. But that's besides the point. My point is that the band's reputation isn't what it was in the nineties anymore. Now it's just a legendary old rock band.

30 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Haha - I really don't think people that mock GNR are stuck in the nineties! 

I think they probably just think GNR are a bit shit and a bit of a joke. But I would say it's got easier since the 2000s! 

I mean some of them clearly are stuck in the nineties. They have the exact same arguments as back in the day. I swear I've heard someone say just recently that there will be a democracy in China before Axl releases Chinese Democracy. 😂

Obviously some of them just don't like the music. But my point is that it's not as bad as it used to be, which you agree with so yeah.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Black said:

On my behalf, they were presumptions based on general divorce procedures. But given your post I'm believing that you have specific knowledge of all the details of the divorce settlement, which nulls my assumptions. Don't forget he has to pay taxes is the last thing I will say on the subject.

agreed.  CALIFORNIA TAXES at that.  plus there was that rumor of Duff helping Slash out financially in the beginning of NITL.   not that we know if that's true or not.  

20 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

I wasn't really looking for a big argument either. I was mainly just talking about my own experiences as well. Especially now that Slash and Duff are back in the band, my experience has been that GNR has become like any other classic rock band. You rarely see anyone mocking the band, which was more or less the norm in the early 2000's. So in that sense it's way easier to be a GNR fan these days.

You kinda misunderstood what I meant with the comparison to The Rolling Stones and AC/DC as well. I was talking about casuals and especially the younger generations. These people know barely anything about Axl's reputation. All they know is that GNR is a legendary classic rock band. In that sense it's very much comparable to The Rolling Stones or AC/DC. The young people of today know perhaps three songs from The Rolling Stones, They know perhaps three songs from AC/DC and the know perhaps three songs from GNR. In fact GNR beats The Rolling Stones in streaming numbers and that's not a passionate fanboy comment. It's just a fact. But that's besides the point. My point is that the band's reputation isn't what it was in the nineties anymore. Now it's just a legendary old rock band.

I mean some of them clearly are stuck in the nineties. They have the exact same arguments as back in the day. I swear I've heard someone say just recently that there will be a democracy in China before Axl releases Chinese Democracy. 😂

Obviously some of them just don't like the music. But my point is that it's not as bad as it used to be, which you agree with so yeah.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.  I'm not sure if any younger people these days care about any music like that anymore, but, let me shut-up.  Now I'm assuming AND showing my age.  I have no idea what younger people think about anything anymore, honestly.  Most music seems like wallpaper to them.  Different conversation. :)

I dont agree at all that  GnR are 'just a kilt etc'.  The people I speak too (all ages) see them as a legendry hard rock band,  I am not sure where you get your info from but their reputation is well and truly cemented  in the annals of great rock n roll.  I am really surprised that someone on the forum would hold this point of view, it seems folk who dont use the forums have more respect for the band.

Edited by DurhamGirl
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

I dont agree at all that  GnR are 'just a kilt etc'.  The people I speak too (all ages) see them as a legendry hard rock band,  I am not sure where you get your info from but their reputation is well and truly cemented  in the annals of great rock n roll.  I am really surprised that someone on the forum would hold this point of view, it seems folk who dont use the forums have more respect for the band.

In what way do users of this forum 'not have respect for the band'? 

Claiming that they aren't viewed favourably by a lot of people, and that they're not in the same league of popularity as The Rolling Stones really has nothing to do with 'respect' and everything to do with being objective and honest. 

Or do you expect everyone here to be totally blinkered to reality?  

Why does it make people lesser fans to say that they they've had years and years of people light-heartedly mocking them for still liking GNR? 

I'm sorry but I absolutely can't stand this modern phonemum for either loving something and turning into some rabid peculiar and irrational obsessive or being labelled as not having 'respect' or 'hating' something. It's just fucking nonsense. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1