So...whats next?

28 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Hardskool is sinking without a trace already. limited radio push, zero advertising, zero interviews, 1-2 social media posts, absurd is almost completely forgotten. I can't give TB or the band any credit for this, it's been a clusterfuck and doing the bare minimum and achieving the bare minimum in results. I'm delighted we got new music, i like both, but the release has been an embarrassment. Hardskool should be on the radio, on the tv. it's nothing already outside of this forum. How a band of this  supposed magnitude can be this shoddy. it is baffling. we'll hear nothing now till next year. disaster. 

Taken from reddit: (I dont know where this lists is officially published)

New weekly chart has been released for rock radio station in the United States and Hard Skool has jumped all the way up to #18 from last week's #28. The song was played by radio stations 584 times this week, as opposed to the 319 times it was played the week before.

Hard Skool has incredible momentum right now and has a realistic shot to enter the top 10 in the coming weeks.

2 minutes ago, betterman said:

New weekly chart has been released for rock radio station in the United States and Hard Skool has jumped all the way up to #18 from last week's #28. The song was played by radio stations 584 times this week, as opposed to the 319 times it was played the week before.

Hard Skool has incredible momentum right now and has a realistic shot to enter the top 10 in the coming weeks.

No need to thank me, it was all because I played it on a college station. Lol. But it’s great that the song is getting much more radio play, maybe it could influence them to keep releasing stuff 

• Haha 1

Don't the labels ultimately dictate what gets radio push? Have they already given up on the regrouping, basically minutes after they finally released something? Or are they waiting for the push if/when an album is announced as thats where the dollars are? There wasn't even a video for HS...

Just now, Coma16 said:

Don't the labels ultimately dictate what gets radio push? Have they already given up on the regrouping, basically minutes after they finally released something? Or are they waiting for the push if/when an album is announced as thats where the dollars are? There wasn't even a video for HS...

Don't think the label are involved in these releases. Seems to be just Axl and Co.

• Like 1

I'd expect they go quiet, they look at what they are going to do with a full length. Slash comes off in March? Assuming he tours from mid January to March for his record? if Slash isn't touring then I'd say he'll be working on Guns stuff alongside all his other film projects. There isn't a clear path for the next GNR record, but one would hope that it's here for the Euro tour. I'd not be that surprised if they held it off until closer to the time of a US tour, because they need more steam in that market than anywhere else in the world. They can happily tour Europe/UK without a new record same with OZ/NZ. 

11 minutes ago, LAGuns87 said:

Don't think the label are involved in these releases. Seems to be just Axl and Co.

The label is distributing it. But in terms of marketing etc. That's all down to GNR/Management. End of the day Axl holds the codes for deployment. He obviously doesn't feel like the songs need videos?? or promotion? He's wrong but it is his band to do with what he pleases. Minimum I'd do is release a live video single of each song similar to how Metallica released 'Broken beat and Scarred'. 

Use the final live version of HardSkool and use almost any version of Absurd, done!

31 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Everything you just said is exactly why I constantly argue with people who say "they're the biggest band in the world! They're packing stadiums! Why would they need to do promotion??" 

My answers to that are:

No they're not. 

No they're not. 

And 

Because that's what artists do. They release and promote music. 

Precisely! I just don't understand the method behind what they are doing. Proper promotion would give this track such a platform to do well, yet they've given it nothing. I can't fathom why. Unless they just don't care that much and want to keep every cent in their pockets. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Mi aspetterei che se ne vadano in silenzio, che guardino cosa faranno con un lungometraggio. Slash esce a marzo? Supponendo che faccia un tour da metà gennaio a marzo per il suo disco? se Slash non è in tournée, direi che lavorerà a cose sui Guns insieme a tutti gli altri suoi progetti cinematografici. Non c'è un percorso chiaro per il prossimo disco dei GNR, ma si spera che sia qui per l'Euro tour. Non sarei così sorpreso se lo trattenessero fino all'ora di un tour negli Stati Uniti, perché hanno bisogno di più vapore in quel mercato che in qualsiasi altra parte del mondo. Possono tranquillamente andare in tournée in Europa/Regno Unito senza un nuovo disco, lo stesso con OZ/NZ. 

L'etichetta lo sta distribuendo. Ma in termini di marketing ecc. Dipende tutto da GNR/Management. Alla fine della giornata Axl ha i codici per lo schieramento. Ovviamente non sente che le canzoni hanno bisogno di video?? o promozione? Ha torto ma è la sua band a che fare con ciò che gli aggrada. Il minimo che farei è pubblicare un singolo video dal vivo di ogni canzone simile a come i Metallica hanno pubblicato "Broken beat and Scarred". 

Usa la versione live finale di HardSkool e usa quasi tutte le versioni di Absurd, fatto!

The next SMKC album will be released in February, not March.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betterman said:

I'm skeptical to this, i hope it's true but even those figures aren't great. break it down to how many radio stations and how many minutes in a week and how many people there are in the USA and a brand new GnR single got played 584 times in a week? If this was a national chart across all genres and/or new releases only I'd say great. But number 1 on that list is probably bohemian rhapsody or wonderwall. New songs should get heavy rotation. In the UK planet rock and absolute classic rock are playing it 1/2x per day. The mainstream stations haven't touched it. 

Just now, klakly said:

The next SMKC album will be released in February, not March.

Yeah the single will be out in January or December at the latest so them being on the road before the release is not that unusual. The promotion started today so I'd guess we have a single end of this month start of next though. Myles is on tour through December free from the road between Jan-end of May. GNR Start up again in June, Alter Bridge hit the studio in April. That leaves Jan-March for a quick tour of the US and maybe a rapid week or two in Europe.

2 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I'm skeptical to this, i hope it's true but even those figures aren't great. break it down to how many radio stations and how many minutes in a week and how many people there are in the USA and a brand new GnR single got played 584 times in a week? If this was a national chart across all genres and/or new releases only I'd say great. But number 1 on that list is probably bohemian rhapsody or wonderwall. New songs should get heavy rotation. In the UK planet rock and absolute classic rock are playing it 1/2x per day. The mainstream stations haven't touched it. 

Mainstream haven't touched it because in order for them to touch it, GNR need to do some press work "Hey we're GNR listen to ... station". The scene from Some Kind of Monster where metallica are forced to do radio promos so the radio will pick up the St Anger singles say it all, if Metallica have to jump through hoops, GNR definitely have to! And Metallica have Qprime fighting their corner!😄

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Mainstream haven't touched it because in order for them to touch it, GNR need to do some press work "Hey we're GNR listen to ... station". The scene from Some Kind of Monster where metallica are forced to do radio promos so the radio will pick up the St Anger singles say it all, if Metallica have to jump through hoops, GNR definitely have to! And Metallica have Qprime fighting their corner!😄

Yep. every time a new foo fighters single is out, Dave grohl is on every radio station, every tv talk show, guest appearances with other bands, interviews in every magazine going. Hell you can't escape him. And he's probably the most popular current rock artist in the world. 

• Like 1

But its not important for us as fans that the music is widely recognized and played everywhere, the important thing is that they release music and that it is good. 

I dont think Axl has any intentions of being on every talk shows etc. and I dont think we shall blame him for not wanting to be part of the mainstream media circus - let the music do the talk!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, betterman said:

But its not important for us as fans that the music is widely recognized and played everywhere, the important thing is that they release music and that it is good. 

I dont think Axl has any intentions of being on every talk shows etc. and I dont think we shall blame him for not wanting to be part of the mainstream media circus - let the music do the talk!

I agree and understand to ax extent. I get to hear the music so sod the rest is fine on a personal level. But I think GnR means a bit more to us than that. Maybe because they were so huge and they probably all represent a certain period in all our lives. When you see douches like MGK farting in a can and getting 500x more views and exposure, and GnR and Axl not even trying it's just a bit sad. GnR will never be like they were in 87-93. that's cool. But they should be competing with metallica, maiden, foo fighters etc when it comes to releases. topping charts, mainstream radio play, being seen to care even if they don't throw themselves at every promotional opportunity personally. 

On 10/4/2021 at 8:07 AM, RussTCB said:

Prior to the start of this tour, I along with many others, was VERY negative about the future of GN'R. Then the tour kicked off in Hershey and things didn't get in any better. 

Soon after, things changed rapidly for many of us. What happened? Well obviously the complete shock of Absurd not only being played live but being released by surprise was a big booster. 

It wasn't just that though. Even with the "same old setlist" plus Absurd, the band were playing together far better than previous tours. On top of that, Axl seemed to be a in better mood and more entertaining with every show. Was Axl perfect vocally? Not even close BUT it was clear to many of us that the effort was there. 

Long standing issues many of us had were being addressed too. As minor as it may seem, just moving songs around in the setlist seemed to give the shows new life. They piled on to that by bringing some cuts back (SOYL & Coma) and continuing to shuffle things around outside of the opening stretch of each show. 

So we were all (well, most of us) happy right? GN'R was doing so many things we've begged for in the live show and on top of all of that, we had the first two new GN'R songs released in 13 years. Plus a physical product from GN'R with new music to boot! 

So....what happens now? I know many of us, myself very much included give GN'R and Team Brazil a hard time because they never seem to do anything near what we think they should. Personally, I find myself feeling bad for the whole organization for the first time in........well, maybe ever? 

Some might disagree but I really feel like they had the wheels in motion to be doing all the right things. Now, due to circumstances completely out of their control, everything comes to a hault. Who knows what the plans were for Mexico & Australia, but if there were plans, they don't get to execute them. 

That sucks. For GN'R, TB and for us. 

Personally, I'm crossing my fingers that someone had contingency plans in place before this tour started. They had to have known that Australia was doubtful at best and even if Mexico wasn't on their radar, I hope someone considered the possibility of postponement because it happened. 

So what does everyone think is going to happen now? More planned singles even though they can't tour to support them? Impromptu, smaller venue shows in the US? A streak of shows in Las Vegas? Total silence? 

What do you think?? 

What I'd love to see? Just say "fuck it", and release an album if they really have one ready to go. No matter the cancelled tours. Just release it, and do some US shows if possible.

What I am at least hoping for? Trickle out singles (milk the merch if they must to get us music), and eventually a new album by at least Spring 2022.

What will probably happen? Twitter posts of "Merry F'N Christmas!", "Happy F'N New Year!", "Happy F'N Valentines!", "Happy F'N Easter!", etc...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Sì, il singolo uscirà a gennaio o dicembre al massimo, quindi essere in tournée prima dell'uscita non è così insolito. La promozione è iniziata oggi, quindi immagino che avremo una sola fine di questo mese all'inizio del prossimo. Myles è in tournée fino a dicembre libero dalla strada tra gennaio e fine maggio. GNR Riparte a giugno, Alter Bridge arriva in studio ad aprile. Questo lascia gennaio-marzo per un breve tour negli Stati Uniti e forse una o due settimane in Europa.

No...single in october, and album in February.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think I've read somewhere that GnR has done something like that for Hard Skool, but maybe it's only for the US radio (?).

• Like 1

Slash wasting zero time moving on to promote SMKC with a video & single seemingly imminent is telling. Looks like GNR are about to pack it in for a long winter. 

As thrilled as I was with Absurd & Hard Skool, a big part of that was me wrongly assuming they meant a full album was coming.  Can’t pretend I’m not bummed that it’s now very likely not. 😕

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 1