SMKC's New Single - The River Is Rising.

Free Bird

7 hours ago, Towelie said:

I think Myles gets a raw deal. I totally see why some people can't enjoy his vocals, but he's done some excellent tracks with SMKC over the first three albums. Stuff like The Great Pretender, Beneath The Savage Sun, You're A Lie, The Unholy, The One You Loved Is Gone, Anastasia, 30 Years To Life is top drawer and as good as anything on Chinese Democracy if you ask me.

Totally agree, but there's always a point where I'm thinking 'what would this sound like, with your other band, Slash?'

But that's not solely because of Myles. It always was like this, even with Snakepit and VR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naupis said:

I have long believed much of the overt hatred towards Myles is a secret grudging jealousy that he essentially is what we all hoped Axl would have aged into but didn't because he's lazy.

Most outside the GNR bubble think Myles sounded great on the GNR stuff (which he largely did) because he hits the high notes (without sounding like bad karaoke or an Axl wannbe) , doesn't ever sound gassed and never embarrasses himself or the band.

All things we wanted from Axl.

He records and releases music with Slash on a regular basis, and has been part of a remarkably stable band line-up.

Much of the over the top Myles sucks stuff from GNR fans is merely misplaced anger they feel towards Axl because it is maddening to them (particularly in the pre-reunion world) that Slash had found the guy who represented everything they wanted Axl to be. Watching Slash put on killer shows with Myles for years while GNR was embarrassing themselves with the goofey line-ups and refusal to release music just led to bitterness.

Or people just don't like Myles's vocals and style of songwriting? TBH, I think it's more to do with that. My wife isn't even a big Guns fan, couldn't care less about Axl's shenanigans/lack of new material etc. But she loves some GNR stuff but can't stand Myles Kennedy as a singer. He got a marmite voice, which really grates on some people. I like SMKC, I own all the albums and am excited for the new one. But Axl, for all his faults - and he has many - is just in a different league to Myles Kennedy. Yes he's lazy, yes he can sound horrid live a lot of the time, but Axl Rose when he's on his game, is just in a different stratosphere to someone like Myles and you know it, I know it, everyone knows it. 

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dangelus said:

Axl bringing that clean out of breath Mickey Mouse vocal to GNR and people think Myles sounds bad?! Need their ears testing…

it's the timbre of his voice that is off putting for me, it has nothing to do with Axl. Sometimes Myles does sound good though. I think what's cool about singers is that everyone has a different voice and it goes beyond just technical ability/control.

and you make it sound like Axl is always out of breath and has no grit in his voice anymore which I disagree with. It depends on the night and the song imo and if he's warmed up vocally.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Naupis said:

I have long believed much of the overt hatred towards Myles is a secret grudging jealousy that he essentially is what we all hoped Axl would have aged into but didn't because he's lazy.

Most outside the GNR bubble think Myles sounded great on the GNR stuff (which he largely did) because he hits the high notes (without sounding like bad karaoke or an Axl wannbe) , doesn't ever sound gassed and never embarrasses himself or the band.

All things we wanted from Axl.

He records and releases music with Slash on a regular basis, and has been part of a remarkably stable band line-up.

Much of the over the top Myles sucks stuff from GNR fans is merely misplaced anger they feel towards Axl because it is maddening to them (particularly in the pre-reunion world) that Slash had found the guy who represented everything they wanted Axl to be. Watching Slash put on killer shows with Myles for years while GNR was embarrassing themselves with the goofey line-ups and refusal to release music just led to bitterness.

2 hours ago, Dangelus said:

Axl bringing that clean out of breath Mickey Mouse vocal to GNR and people think Myles sounds bad?! Need their ears testing…

Yes 100%.

I never understood how people could make excuses for Axl not being prepared at the beginning of tour legs, being out of breath, etc, then hating on Myles for sounding "generic."

• Like 2

Here comes the biggest argument of them all, I'm dumb, curtain. It's not like Axl has no breath control, can't hit the notes and catch up with the tempo, It's me who's dumb.

I can't intellectually follow this conversation anymore, obviously you brought me down to this level, but surpassed me in experience.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Ok, now you're just being dumb :lol:

Compared to now 2006 Axl was quite good, but it was still overall far from great. He sounded great on Nightrain most of the time. Pretty good on WTTJ most of the time. Yet he still couldn’t properly pull off 3 of the bands biggest hits (SCOM, NR and PC) to the point that he was obviously the weak link in the performances. 

I like more of SMKC than I dislike but i do understand the generic thing. the songs especially the last album can be bland. The lyrics as well aren't relatable. The river is rising... it's just such a meh unrelatable lyric. The call of the wild. these irk me as lyrics. they mean nothing and seem like attempts to try to say something that sounds cool when bereft of ideas. The 2 verse 2 chorus bridge solo outro that 99% of the songs follow, sung in the same key with the same guitar tone can be grating. Maybe it's not even that the newer songs are worse than the first 2 albums, it might just be once you have heard one SMKC album, you've heard everything they have to offer. You know what it coming. That's not always a bad thing, but it's just a bit meh. 

i think that's why Axl is more exciting. I mean ffs, Eye on you? The General? Scraped? Madagascar? Those songs are so diverse and interesting. They may not all be good, but it's never generic or bland. But myles is a proper workhorse, he's great live and he's a great guy. Maybe we've just heard enough of him the past 11 years! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Compared to now 2006 Axl was quite good, but it was still overall far from great. He sounded great on Nightrain most of the time. Pretty good on WTTJ most of the time. Yet he still couldn’t properly pull off 3 of the bands biggest hits (SCOM, NR and PC) to the point that he was obviously the weak link in the performances. 

In 2006 Axl's voice was already different to his 80s and 90s voice. I remember how I thought what the fuck happened to Axl when I first heard it, still being used to his prine voice.

On 10/29/2021 at 7:47 PM, Martin Riggs said:

As of today, The River is Rising is at #30 on the active rock radio chart. HS is at #10.

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/allaboutcountry/Charts.asp?format=R2R

GNR at #10, SMKC is now at #23 on this active rock radio chart:

https://hitsdailydouble.com/mediabase_chart_details&fmt=R2

Edited by Martin Riggs

2 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

SCOM hasn't been great since the 80s, but in 2006 he still sounded great on NR and PC, not to mention KOHD... some gigs were hit or miss, but he was 'on' far more often than not.