SMKC's New Single - The River Is Rising.

Free Bird

6 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Had to scroll down way more then i tought to find this comment.

The song sucks 

Just out of curiosity.  What are 3 recent rock songs that you think are good? Don’t scour for tunes to list that you think will be impressive. Genuinely 3  tracks off the top of your head you like. 

• Like 2

I think it grabed me. I don't know if it's because of watching the video while listening to the song or because I've listened to it often enough but I like the riff in the verses and I start liking the siren riff when watching the video. And I even like the uptempo parts, especially the short outro. Very rock n roll -ish, Led Zeppelin vibe with Myles screaming. The chorus is a typical Myles hook. I think I like it.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Just out of curiosity.  What are 3 recent rock songs that you think are good? Don’t scour for tunes to list that you think will be impressive. Genuinely 3  tracks off the top of your head you like. 

You didn't ask me directly, but, as someone else who thought the song was mediocre, I'm going to answer LOL

Honestly, what does the quality of anyone else's songs have to do with Slash's output?

In any case, bands like Queens of the Stone Age find ways to write catchy tunes that rock hard, still have a groove, and yet also find inventive sounds and textures to add character to their songs.

Even the rockier tunes on St. Vincent's latest have infinitely more imagination and creativity in their arrangement & production than anything I hear coming from Slash, with the same tone, same pentatonic scales, etc.

How about Gojira?  The most recent Tomahawk?  The new Maiden album?  The last Priest?

Maiden & Priest are a generation older, and either of those albums, IMO, have so much more variety in texture than anything SMKC can muster.

As always, YMMV

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

What does the quality of anyone else's songs have to do with Slash's output?

Bands like Queens of the Stone Age find ways to write catchy tunes that rock hard, still have a groove, and yet also find inventive sounds and textures to add character to their songs.

Even the rockier tunes on St. Vincent's latest have infinitely more imagination and creativity in their arrangement & production than anything I hear coming from Slash, with the same tone, same pentatonic scales, etc.

How about Gojira?  The most recent Tomahawk?  The new Maiden album?  The last Priest?

Maiden & Priest are just about a generation older, and either of those albums, IMO, have so much more variety in texture than anything SMKC can muster.

As always, YMMV

Yet you haven't mentioned any rock bands. QOTSA is known for alternate tunings, same with Tomahawk (last record was terrible) and Gojira (how can you compare Gojira with SMKC?). Maiden and Priest are freakin' metal bands dude... SMKC is straight rock and roll band tuned in E/Eb, show me more such bands that their songwriting level is constant. And before you mention Dirty Honey, they did 3 good songs, GVF did one really good album. Shoot. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ralphelmo said:

Yet you haven't mentioned any rock bands. QOTSA is known for alternate tunings, same with Tomahawk (last record was terrible) and Gojira (how can you compare Gojira with SMKC?). Maiden and Priest are freakin' metal bands dude... SMKC is straight rock and roll band tuned in E/Eb, show me more such bands that their songwriting level is constant. And before you mention Dirty Honey, they did 3 good songs, GVF did one really good album. Shoot. 

I guess I just don't have much of an ear for "rock n' roll" anymore, then :shrugs:

There's so much more interesting music out there, and, life is too short.

Just like John Frusciante's former guitar tech , Robbie Allen, once told him, "You need the Peppers because you need a pro-level producer to tell you when to reign in your ambitions, and the Chili Peppers need you because they can't write a song without you."

Slash is a legendary guitar player, but, he needs competent songwriting partners to frame his playing.

I personally find his solo stuff incredibly stale. 

Again, it isn't a challenge or a competition, and he doesn't need anyone to defend him.  YMMV

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

I'm not saying all your points are wrong but to say Queens of the Stone Age isn't a rock band is silly.  They are a hard rock and stoner rock mix with a little bit of alt-metal thrown in.

Edited by Bitchisback
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

You've stumped me..i don't have a clue

But what you mean recent ?

This year ?

I love most of The darkness albums. I haven't heard the most recent stuff tho.

On 10/22/2021 at 11:11 AM, metallex78 said:

It was brought to my attention that at 2:32 mark coming out of the solo, is the Withered Delilah riff, and it totally sounds like it, or at least very similar!

Slash plagiarising himself perhaps…?

It took me a while but I think I found the right one:

We have 302k views.

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Myles makes every song sound the same. As much as I like the guy it's just true. That's why all SMKC albums will always sound the same.

Is that sole reason or maybe another reason they sound the same is that the material that Slash brings to build a song on is just not that interesting enough at times.  Both can happen.