SMKC's New Single - The River Is Rising.

Free Bird

from the first second i thought it reminded me of a song....at 2:07  it hit me  :)   interstate 80 :)

overall it is what i thought it would be...i do not love it, i think that I will like the rest of the album more...same as with the first records :D

So great Slash is using new kinds of pedals

I'd dare to give Richard all the credit for that either by making him feel oldfashioned or left behind (let's be honest, Richard's improvs have been more interesting than Slash's for a couple years now. Not to mention, Richard is taking the lead in almost every non-bluesy cover song); or for showing him new styles in a non-competitive way 

It may any of these, or even both. In either way, thank you very much, Richard!!!

tremolo picking like that is very unusual for slash. I dig the combination of that and the simple chugging riff. Nice to see slash go outside of his box for a little bit. prechorus and chorus are the typical blues rock tropes.

Cool to see that Slash is also breaking out of his usual arrangement for songs.

Sounds like SMKC but with a twist this time around.

Vocal melodies are nice and catchy, wished that slash would have actually written some riffs for the chorus to match the vibe of the verses instead of doing the usual big--rock-chorus thing

But i dig it

• Like 1

I liked this song a lot. Basic nice rocker, good for a single. I excpect better material to be on the actual album.

I like the tempo change and the solo sounds fun!

Also I think that Myles is a bit low in the mix and the drums could be a bit more present. But no major complaints.

Excited for the video. Its not out yet in europe.

Listened to the song 3 times so far. Really like the song! Love that gritty sounding vibe, which really suits Myles, which is more of his Alter Bridge style.

The siren-sounding riff is badass. It gave the song a dangerous/ warning kind of vibe to it. The chorus has this progression which reminded me a little bit of Too Far Gone (under-rated song BTW), which is a great.

Solo was unexpected. kind of took me out of the song for a bit. But it sounded different from Slash would usually do, so I'm in for him to try something new.

Ending part was a little unnecessary, but doesn't really hurt or adds to the song.

Overall a good track! Looking forward to the album.

• Like 1

I love the "siren" riff too, as well as the crazy fast part at the end. I don't care for Myles, not bothered by the voice I just his find his lyrics/melodies very bland. Anyway, still cool to hear Slash come up with some cool stuff instrumentally in this part of his career. In particular, a couple of the ballads off the last album (TOYLIG & Great Pretender) could have been amazing GNR tracks if Axl still wrote music.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

In particular, a couple of the ballads off the last album (TOYLIG & Great Pretender) could have been amazing GNR tracks if Axl still wrote music.

Totally agree. Utterly depressing that Axl has this talent at his disposal but just can't be bothered to be creative.

8 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Doesn't touch You're A Lie WOF or even Driving Rain to be honest. I'm more into the deep tracks though anyway like Sugar Cane or Dirty Girl. Call Off The Dogs is the one I'm waiting to hear on this album, sounds like it's gonna be a quick badass song.

You must be the only person on the planet that likes sugar cane! 

I'd rather listen to William Shatner's rocket man.

I'm actually assuming you're a troll because I'm finding it very hard to believe anyone could find anything redeeming about that song.

3 minutes ago, DK6 said:

I'm actually assuming you're a troll because I'm finding it very hard to believe anyone could find anything redeeming about that song.

I like Sugar Cane. Mainly the music. Shatner's Rocket Man is a fun cover. I'm glad it exists.

34 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

I can't hear any new pedal in that song. Plus you should give the credit to the guy who's been with Slash in the band for 12 years, not Richard.

I think I have read both Slash and Tremonti over the years say Myles is a better guitar player than they are, he just doesn't put it out there for all to see. I have no doubt Myles and Slash have talked shop when it comes to guitars, and it is probably part of what led to them getting on as well as they do.

At heart Myles is a big guitar nerd who just happens to have a killer voice so he sings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Naupis said:

I think I have read both Slash and Tremonti over the years say Myles is a better guitar player than they are, he just doesn't put it out there for all to see. I have no doubt Myles and Slash have talked shop when it comes to guitars, and it is probably part of what led to them getting on as well as they do.

At heart Myles is a big guitar nerd who just happens to have a killer voice so he sings.

yeah, maybe you already know this, but there was an interview with both Slash and Myles being interviewed together and Myles was asked if he can give lessons to Slash and Myles said that's the most ridiculous thing he's ever heard lol. He did say that sometimes he shows Slash a new guitar trick and Slash quickly learns it and plays it perfectly.

Myles and Tremonti are great guitar players but Slash is just a rare talent imo.

• Like 2

Better than HS and Absurd. Imagine if this was the gnr single. 

Production isn't incredible, but I appreciate that this was cut on the floor and they wanted a more grainy sound than say WOF.

Fitz's hats always sound a little bit like midi 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DK6 said:

I just like those type of songs, I also like Anything Goes from AFD when not many do.