Slash interview (Classic Rock): More re-recorded CD leftovers are coming (no details)

9 hours ago, RedHook said:

I wish the person that interviewed Slosh brought up the fact that he had recently said 2022 was gonna be the UYI Box Set.

So which is it Slosh?

1- keep releasing GNR singles from Chin Dem II until album is done.

2 - release UYI Box Set 

I highly doubt they will do both these things in the same year 🤔

It appears the plan for the new album is to release singles/EPs and then eventually compile them into one LP. This way, they make more money on their material and are able to schedule releases with tour legs. If this is the case, i don't actually expect a full album to be released until next year at the earliest (once all singles are released). It is entirely possible to release a few singles and a UYI boxset this year. In fact, the latter is probably done by the label, so that should make things easier for the GN'R management.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It doesn't shock me, I was curious if you thought KOHD might've been from those recordings or the Village sessions or something specific. It's been known for decades that Axl viewed those recordings as a kind of "rehearsal" for the new band (though they did partially release SCOM). As far as the Village disc goes, it sounds more like a rehearsal than anything, but could've been a demo for a soundtrack or some kind of charity thing - a safe assumption based on the date of the recording imo.

The tracklist said "4 Heaven's ? Sing" just to be clear... no idea if that means KOHD, or "For Heaven's..." or whatever. For all we know the actual title is "For Heaven's Questioning: A Sequel Of Biblical Proportions (I.R.S. 2)" :lol:

Yeah, it could have meant anything.

When the Village Sessions revealed they'd recorded it and he's actually sung it - it became apparent that it was probably KOHD.

If this is just old CD stuff... :facepalm:

Of course, without Izzy being involved in the writing process, I'm not confident in it anyway. If you look at Slash and Duff's stuff, even going all the way back to Slash's first solo record, none of the songs sound like GNR tracks. Sure, there are parts that do. But entire songs? No. The only one who released solo music that sounds like GNR is Izzy (Bleedin' is a great example). So without him, it's probably just going to sound--at best--like VR with an older Axl on vocals.

Edited by Nintari

19 minutes ago, Pele said:

Yeah, it could have meant anything.

When the Village Sessions revealed they'd recorded it and he's actually sung it - it became apparent that it was probably KOHD.

I doubt there was any intention after late-2001, if ever, to do anything with that recording. Of all the songs you've claimed were abandoned I'm surprised KOHD wasn't one of them.

49 minutes ago, Alexmee239 said:

I'm thinking maybe 2 new songs on European Leg and then another 2 on SA/NZ ?

Good thinking, but the euro leg lines up with the UYI box (assuming it comes out on schedule this time). So Aint Goin Down will probably be the song they promote on that leg. And I feel like SA/NZ audiences are strong enough that the band can still sell out shows in those markets without having to do anything new.

So if any new music comes out this year, it won’t be to promote touring again. It’ll be because Axl simply just wants to put out another new song or two this year.

EDIT: unless the plan is to virtually release a couple new songs later this year (after the UYI box) to promote possible NA 2023 dates that have yet to be announced. I suppose that’s also a possibility. (Shrugs)

Edited by rocknroll41

28 minutes ago, Nintari said:

If this is just old CD stuff... :facepalm:

Of course, without Izzy being involved in the writing process, I'm not confident in it anyway. If you look at Slash and Duff's stuff, even going all the way back to Slash's first solo record, none of the songs sound like GNR tracks. Sure, there are parts that do. But entire songs? No. The only one who released solo music that sounds like GNR is Izzy (Bleedin' is a great example). So without him, it's probably just going to sound--at best--like VR with an older Axl on vocals.

Depends what you consider the GNR sound. If you're going by Bleedin' then that's 1 type of song that GNR used to do, it has zero in common with a song like WTTJ or OTGM. I like Izzy's relaxed writing style, but this mythology surrounding him being the true songwriter of GNR is way overdone. He was just as key as Slash , Duff and Axl when it came to writing. If they were trying to go back an recapture that old GNR sound sure Izzy writing with them would make a whole lot of sense... seen as they are clearly not trying to write AFD or UYI again, it's kinda beside the point if the song they release doesn't sound like those records. HardSkool could easily be an Izzy riff though, fairly basic song construction, basic meat and potatoes riff. He obviously didn't write it, but it's not a million miles off his style.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gackt said:

We're talking about the same Slash that wrote all those Snakepit songs Axl wanted nothing to do with, yes?

Check yourself.  Slash's songwriting doesn't line up with what Axl's been doing.  :axl:

If I recall, Axl changed his mind and wanted some of those Snakepit songs back too. But by the time Axl realised this, Slash had already recorded the album.

Axl was too busy trying to turn GNR into NIN or Pearl Jam… :facepalm:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Depends what you consider the GNR sound. If you're going by Bleedin' then that's 1 type of song that GNR used to do, it has zero in common with a song like WTTJ or OTGM. I like Izzy's relaxed writing style, but this mythology surrounding him being the true songwriter of GNR is way overdone. He was just as key as Slash , Duff and Axl when it came to writing. If they were trying to go back an recapture that old GNR sound sure Izzy writing with them would make a whole lot of sense... seen as they are clearly not trying to write AFD or UYI again, it's kinda beside the point if the song they release doesn't sound like those records. HardSkool could easily be an Izzy riff though, fairly basic song construction, basic meat and potatoes riff. He obviously didn't write it, but it's not a million miles off his style.

If they were gonna do another record like Lies, then I think Izzy would be a crucial part. But that's obviously not the kind of thing they're doing, and they haven't done anything like that in 30+ years (aside from maybe Duff's Tenderness album).

Just like the NITL reunion was underwhelming for a lot of fans, the reality of Izzy returning and/or an AFD5 reunion would never live up to the fantasy that some have created. At this point, I don't want to see Izzy/Steven join nuGNR like Slash and Duff did.

• Like 2

Big props to Slash for giving us the real deal. It's all right there even with what appears to be him beating around the bush. They are just re-recording stuff that Axl has already done with no real vision on what it will be or when they'll truly collaborate in writing. He sounds like he hopes writing will happen, but has no real idea if it will. It is what it looks like is... they made up (which is great), touring for money (which is fine), and finishing Axl's recorded stuff (which is what it is...). Now we can all finally just accept it. Seriously though... 

Edited by Ak1nney
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I doubt there was any intention after late-2001, if ever, to do anything with that recording. Of all the songs you've claimed were abandoned I'm surprised KOHD wasn't one of them.

Yeah but it's finished and usable (Vocals wise).

It's my belief that he's done so little recording, and has so few complete songs, that it is probably in contention simply because it's recorded.

1 hour ago, Dean said:

I really hope so, it's one my favourites from the Village Sessions.

That says a lot about the Village Sessions.

Bland, forgettable melody with one or two lazily written lines repeated over and over - and it's one of the better offerings!

Edited by Pele

25 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I mean, if it as better vocals than he could record now, why not? 99% of people won't know when the vocals were recorded, that's some hardcore fan stuff

Yeah 100% - there was no need to re-record HardSkool as the original vocal is usable.

Problem is, he has nothing else apart from Perhaps and General - which is why we were given utter garbage like Silkworms and are gonna get Atlas - and songs like Soulmonster, Seven, Zodiac etc etc will remain unreleased and un-sung.

13 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It doesn't shock me, I was curious if you thought KOHD might've been from those recordings or the Village sessions or something specific. It's been known for decades that Axl viewed those recordings as a kind of "rehearsal" for the new band (though they did partially release SCOM). As far as the Village disc goes, it sounds more like a rehearsal than anything, but could've been a demo for a soundtrack or some kind of charity thing - a safe assumption based on the date of the recording imo.

The tracklist said "4 Heaven's ? Sing" just to be clear... no idea if that means KOHD, or "For Heaven's..." or whatever. For all we know the actual title is "For Heaven's Questioning: A Sequel Of Biblical Proportions (I.R.S. 2)" :lol:

Bingo - that KOHD seemed like a jam/structure thing recorded for reference. KOHD is one of their most famous tracks for general fans so I just can’t see them trying to redo it and thinking it would get a positive outcome.

3 hours ago, Pele said:

Yeah but it's finished and usable (Vocals wise).

It's my belief that he's done so little recording, and has so few complete songs, that it is probably in contention simply because it's recorded.

Absolutely no chance they would try and use those vocals - it was a jam session!

• Like 2

I think GNR has a sense of humor and knows this whole situation (and how Axl runs things in general) is absurd...which is why they released Absurd as the first "single."  They didn't release it first because it's the best song, but because it's more of an inside joke.

I mean, they're fully aware that for 15 years Axl's hired hands were playing and covering songs that the original members wrote, and now 5 years later, original members are playing and covering songs (and officially releasing them!) that the hired hands wrote.  Think about it...how ABSURD is that?! 

Whether you love or hate how they operate, you have to at least respect that GNR do not follow any trends and they do whatever the fuck they want.  In that sense, they're still "the most dangerous band in the world" because you don't know what the heck is going on with them.  They're certainly unique. 

Edited by kozydogg
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Absolutely no chance they would try and use those vocals - it was a jam session!

At this point, I don't think he gives a f*ck.

He'll do whatever he can get away with.  If it's usable, he'll use it - because what else can he do?

It's not like he's gonna start writing/singing now is it?

Personally, I don't think it will come out.  I think this will stop before they get to 'full album'.

I think we'll get a few years of touring, and 'these songs Axl had lying around' will of course be Perhaps/Atlas/General, and they might get released whenever they add a tour leg.

Once those three are out, there will be no further solid talk on an album and the drip feeding will stop.

Whenever interviewed, there will be vague positive suggestions about having 'lots of material' that the usual suspects will cite as 'proof' that he actually did these songs.

At this point, if you think I'm wrong, who cares?

Ultimately, Slash has given us the perfect gift.

He has categorically, without any room for doubt, said they are gonna release the songs Axl had.

We are all gonna now see what those songs are.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kozydogg said:

I think GNR has a sense of humor and knows this whole situation (and how Axl runs things in general) is absurd...which is why they released Absurd as the first "single."  They didn't release it first because it's the best song, but because it's more of an inside joke.

I mean, they're fully aware that for 15 years Axl's hired hands were playing and covering songs that the original members wrote, and now 5 years later, original members are playing and covering songs (and officially releasing them!) that the hired hands wrote.  Think about it...how ABSURD is that?! 

Whether you love or hate how they operate, you have to at least respect that GNR do not follow any trends and they do whatever the fuck they want.  In that sense, they're still "the most dangerous band in the world" because you don't know what the heck is going on with them.  They're certainly unique. 

The amount of excuses people make for this guy is just baffling.

Ultimately - he needed to release new songs so he had to rely on old demos.  2 of 4 remaining IMO.

I think the decision to drop Silkworms first was to remove any pressure off him regarding the reception.  It's basically a joke/novelty level piece of crap - he knew it wouldn't be judges as a serious effort and therefore he could absorb any negative reviews (and often said 'it's just a bit of fun' when introducing it.

It set up the second release perfectly.  An average song, infinitely better than Silkworms, so it was obviously received a lot better.

Basically, he could have released Perhaps/HardSkool first but didn't have the balls to accept the mediocre/lukewarm response IMO.

Anyway - who cares now.

I say he released Silkworms because he has precious little else.

I've been told I'm wrong, and he does have an album full of songs but chose Silkworms because 'it's close to him' and 'it's fun' and other crap.

We are all gonna see what the other songs are now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2