Slash interview (Classic Rock): More re-recorded CD leftovers are coming (no details)

3 hours ago, oneway23 said:

FWIW, the new Porcupine Tree album coming out in June is a whopping seven songs, and the most recent Queens of the Stone Age album was nine, so the idea that an album in any way automatically indicates anywhere from ten to fourteen songs, as it used to in ye olden days, might be inaccurate.

I remember telling all of you when Absurd/Hard School came out that this was going to happen a lot like how Pixies did it with Indie Cindy.  Releasing singles/EPs and then simply compiling them later and calling it an album.

Show us what ya got, fellas.  Bring it on.

For Porcupine Tree - its not very relevant as I guess some of the tracks clocks in at about 20 minutes

And besides, GNR have not released an album in 14 years, I think 10 new tracks is the minimum

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mystery said:

Did the band ever write songs like this though? I remember reading that the other guys would come up with stuff together or separately but Axl always did his work alone. I know some bands do write and jam together though.

They most likely did back in the day to some extent, like if someone came together with an idea, I can't imagine it would be a fully completed idea - the full band probably jammed on that idea and added their own vibe to it to make it the "sum of the greater whole" and so special.

To me that sort of, real musicians in a real room with real chemistry, with rock, cannot compare.  Adding your own ideas to a ProTools session just doesn't feed off of the same innate skillset that playing with one another live does, and thus the ideas are different naturally (from my experience as a guitarist with many projects)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, mystery said:

Did the band ever write songs like this though? I remember reading that the other guys would come up with stuff together or separately but Axl always did his work alone. I know some bands do write and jam together though.

Someone would come up with an idea and then start workshopping with the band, Axl would kinda sit back and listen and get his ideas together... that was AFD. By UYI Axl wasn't really in the room, I think they were sending him daily session mixes and eventually he joined in. By Chinese Axl was completely separate from the rest of the band recording... evidenced by the Dave Navarro story of the Oh My God sessions where Axl was listening in to the session via speaker phone.

There's nothing wrong with bands writing and recording independently, but sonically it is hard to make it sound lively when everybody has recorded on their own. The AFD, UYI retained a band vibe because of tracking live, even if they did overdub afterwards.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Pele said:

He's said exactly what I thought.

They haven't written anything new - and they are gonna drip feed songs.

If you believe there will be enough for a new full album good for you.

I'm glad this interview gives you confidence.

That confidence will take a small knock when the next song is Atlas.  Then you'll start to worry when Perhaps drops.

Then there will be complete silence and you'll start to claim a brand new one must be right round the corner.

As I keep saying - I am DELIGHTED with this interview.  He has said they have recorded the songs Rose had lying around.

We are all gonna see what songs they were, and given the emotive nature of your message, your world is gonna crumble when they release EXACTLY what I've been saying they'll release, and no more.

Why would you be DELIGHTED at this, how weird are you. Do you even like anything to do with this band? So strange

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

So, between Slash’s comments in this interview, and DJ’s comments in his recent interview, it’s fair to say that Axl doesn’t want to do any work on any new GN’R music.

It's safe to say that Axl only wants to do what he wants to do. If Dj, Bumblefoot, Slash or whoever comes to him and says "we should be doing this" he doesn't go "You're right, let's start now" he goes, "cool, I'm gonna keep doing what I was doing right before you started talking".

I guess with that comment from DJ it was clear that Axl was never going to bring that 2014 band into the studio. I guess in his head he already had the record he wanted to release next so why would he need to go into the studio and work more? only problem with that is, he had the new record done but he just wouldn't release for whatever reason.

20 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

So, between Slash’s comments in this interview, and DJ’s comments in his recent interview, it’s fair to say that Axl doesn’t want to do any work on any new GN’R music.

Worth noting that Fernando did say that Axl has continued to write and create music since the release of Chinese Democracy, but I assume it'll just be Axl on his own as opposed to collaborating with the band. I hope I'm wrong on that but all signs point to no one being involved. I'm curious about that song Baz was raving about though. He gave credit to both Ashba and Axl in that interview from 10 years ago which makes me think that whatever he heard, had Axl singing on it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dean said:

Worth noting that Fernando did say that Axl has continued to write and create music since the release of Chinese Democracy, but I assume it'll just be Axl on his own as opposed to collaborating with the band. I hope I'm wrong on that but all signs point to no one being involved.

I agree. Seems like the other guy's work was done and it was just up to Axl di record missing vocals and mix. What happened is something we can't possible know. Maybe he did nothing, maybe he did a little, maybe he did a lot. Hopefully we will find out at some point.

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

It's safe to say that Axl only wants to do what he wants to do. If Dj, Bumblefoot, Slash or whoever comes to him and says "we should be doing this" he doesn't go "You're right, let's start now" he goes, "cool, I'm gonna keep doing what I was doing right before you started talking".

I guess with that comment from DJ it was clear that Axl was never going to bring that 2014 band into the studio. I guess in his head he already had the record he wanted to release next so why would he need to go into the studio and work more? only problem with that is, he had the new record done but he just wouldn't release for whatever reason.

I was always oddly glad we never saw an album or single with that band, the blandest line up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dean said:

. I'm curious about that song Baz was raving about though. He gave credit to both Ashba and Axl in that interview from 10 years ago which makes me think that whatever he heard, had Axl singing on it. 

There is a chance that it was misquoted or paraphrased - it was not a direct quote, but a fan's summary of an interview in Swedish. In a later interview (in English), Bach raved again about a song Ashba wrote, but he said it was written for Axl, not with Axl:

Sebastian Bach: There's two songs that I've heard that I want to sing. One was written by DJ Ashba. He played it for me back in 2010 when we were on tour with Guns N' Roses. He goes, 'Listen to this.' And I'll never forget it. He put it on my head. He wrote it for Axl, to be [used by] Guns. It's the most badass fucking riff — one of the coolest songs I've ever heard. I haven't heard it since then, but I never forgot how much I loved it. And he's not in Guns N' Roses anymore, so there's one song that I do wanna sing. But I don't even know if I can have that. DJ, I've gotta call you.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sebastian-bach-i-know-i-look-like-a-girl/

• Like 2

9 hours ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

Can't wait for Cock-a-roach Soup and Closing In On You. Can't remember the rest of these bs titles.

But in all seriousness, next song will most likely be Atlas. Or something else without rasp.

Zip It?

• GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

I don’t keep up much these days but wasn’t that 3-4 months ago?

There was some nonsense about them being available to download a few months back, but only available to physically buy in about Feb?

The is every chance he's talking about HardSkool and Silkworms when he says 'getting released right now'.

I'll likely get mocked for that opinion, however I fully expect months to roll by without any sign of any new songs.

10 minutes ago, Pele said:

There was some nonsense about them being available to download a few months back, but only available to physically buy in about Feb?

The is every chance he's talking about HardSkool and Silkworms when he says 'getting released right now'.

I'll likely get mocked for that opinion, however I fully expect months to roll by without any sign of any new songs.

Well yeah i dont think anyones expecting anything until the tour starts

I think Perhaps would be logical as the next song after they released 2 rockers. If Slash plays an epic solo on it like he always does on ballads it could even perform way better on the charts since slower songs are more accessible, compared to HS. Maybe they've worked on Perhaps a lot more than we think, GNRs standard for ballads is very high. Atlas will never take off it's just too shit, complete filler. I can't see them releasing that soon unless they literally have nothing else recorded.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

22 minutes ago, Pele said:

I actually thought the same when he said stuff being released "as we speak". Hopefully it's more material, but it could just be the ep

24 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I actually thought the same when he said stuff being released "as we speak". Hopefully it's more material, but it could just be the ep

That same interview talks about Absurd and Hard Skool being released in 2021, so I assume Slash is not referring to those two tracks when he talks about more material.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 10:28 AM, Towelie said:

Was that ever in doubt?

Oh no, definitely not, but if there's ever been anyone in the band that came close to having the same clout as Axl, it's Slash, so to see him being so incredibly passive/emasculated is quite interesting even if it does just reinforce what we have known now for the past 5-6 years.

On 1/6/2022 at 3:52 AM, Blackstar said:

Can we at least get the story straight – were these songs re-recorded with the current GN’R line-up?

Slash: The bass and the guitars are all re-done, for the most part, but the original drums are still intact, and the vocals.

Smells like chicken dinner. :D

• GNFNR 1

12 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

That same interview talks about Absurd and Hard Skool being released in 2021, so I assume Slash is not referring to those two tracks when he talks about more material.

Yeah from what he said you would definitely think he meant more material, but this is GNR and we all know how things can go. 

I hope they get off their asses and make an actual video that they appear in this time around or at the very least release the lyric video on the day the single is released... not 3 months later.

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I hope they get off their asses and make an actual video that they appear in this time around or at the very least release the lyric video on the day the single is released... not 3 months later.

I too would enjoy an early GN'R/Velvet Revolver music video style. 

2006 Axl would have looked pretty killer in such a production. In a modern video, hard to imagine anything outside of live performance footage. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Just now, Sweersa said:

I too would enjoy an early GN'R/Velvet Revolver music video style. 

2006 Axl would have looked pretty killer in such a production. In a modern video, hard to imagine anything outside of live performance footage. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

More than likely another shitty video made in iMovie😄 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I've learnt to take anything they say with a pinch of salt.

He says they are in the process of being released now.

Safe to say if we hear nothing for the next 3 months he meant HarsSkool and Silkworms?

On 1/6/2022 at 8:52 AM, Blackstar said:

Can we at least get the story straight – were these songs re-recorded with the current GN’R line-up?

Slash: The bass and the guitars are all re-done, for the most part, but the original drums are still intact, and the vocals.

Great question asked by the interviewer and exactly what we want clarified. Thanks Slash for not shirking that one and answering, even though we knew the answer :P

Probably the second best Slash interview since this one in Rolling Stone where the interviewer asked a brilliant question: So are you in Guns N’ Roses, or are you just playing with Guns N’ Roses?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

If slash says the drums were intact, he never hearf the leaked version of Hard Skool...

Very possible these are Brain drums though from a later version of Hardskool (post locker leaks) and before you say "the song structure is different", it's very possible these were cut and pasted to fit.

• Like 1