Slash interview (Classic Rock): More re-recorded CD leftovers are coming (no details)

55 minutes ago, mystery said:

Did the band ever write songs like this though? I remember reading that the other guys would come up with stuff together or separately but Axl always did his work alone. I know some bands do write and jam together though.

From what I remember offhand, "Welcome to the Jungle" was the first song that Axl and Slash wrote together in a bathroom. Within 5 minutes, they created the song. Sweet Child was Slash fooling around. Axl was upstairs in the house writing lyrics for the song. Paradise City was written in a van when they made the Hell trip. Some of the other songs were brought in by Axl and Izzy like Don't Cry. I don't really remember which songs  were jammed in a room  with the entire band. I would guess Patience would be one song. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mystery said:

If an actual album comes does it hit number one on the Billboard charts? What counts as a number one album is way different these days and seems much easier to achieve.

Maybe in 2016/2017, but now, no way. They missed the boat, and there wasn't much fanfare about HS or Absurd outside of GNR/rock circles.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Maybe in 2016/2017, but now, no way. They missed the boat, and there wasn't much fanfare about HS or Absurd outside of GNR/rock circles.

Nah if they release an album and do minimal promotion then they will have a no 1 rock record, possibly even a no 1 over all the charts as long as Taylor Swift  or someone of that level doesn't release music at the same time. HS and Absurd were not pushed, if GNR had decided to promote those songs then they might have had some impact outside of rock circles... for whatever reason GNR buried both releases. I think they believed a release by GNR is big enough news in itself that it would get press and blow up without any extra work... true in rock circles, but outside of that, nobody gives a shit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

When you first started it was just Atlas and Perhaps.

You have since added Oh my god and The general. 

I'm sure you'll find some way to say you're right regardless.

Final point. Perhaps, Atlas, General, Absurd, Hardskool. That's 5 songs, that does not amount to an albums worth of material. What I expect is a minimum of 10-14 songs, a few we've heard through leaks and a couple that we haven't heard at all. I don't expect brand new material written by the current line up.

Read my post history.  I've said The General/OMG for ages.

As for your final point - there won't be 10-14 songs.

Edited by Pele

6 minutes ago, Pele said:

Read my post history.  I've said The General/OMG for ages.

As for your final point - there won't be 10-14 songs.

Read your post history... I'd rather stick hot pokers in my eyes. 

I can remember for the longest time you mentioned Perhaps/Atlas, it is a recent enough development mentioning OMG and The General. I know you live in your own Pele world, but that is what you've been saying over and over and over and over and OVER again and again. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

From what I remember offhand, "Welcome to the Jungle" was the first song that Axl and Slash wrote together in a bathroom. Within 5 minutes, they created the song. Sweet Child was Slash fooling around. Axl was upstairs in the house writing lyrics for the song. Paradise City was written in a van when they made the Hell trip. Some of the other songs were brought in by Axl and Izzy like Don't Cry. I don't really remember which songs  were jammed in a room  with the entire band. I would guess Patience would be one song. 

Translation: their best songs were written quickly and together.

...as are most of the best songs in RNR history.  

The way Axl works now is the antithesis of that.  It takes him 20+ years to tinker with a song and it looses ALL magic (if it had any to begin with).  I feel like the only song on ChiDem that has "magic" is Madagascar, and we know that Axl and Pitman wrote that pretty quickly and together in the same room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Nah if they release an album and do minimal promotion then they will have a no 1 rock record, possibly even a no 1 over all the charts as long as Taylor Swift  or someone of that level doesn't release music at the same time. HS and Absurd were not pushed, if GNR had decided to promote those songs then they might have had some impact outside of rock circles... for whatever reason GNR buried both releases. I think they believed a release by GNR is big enough news in itself that it would get press and blow up without any extra work... true in rock circles, but outside of that, nobody gives a shit.

In this day and age it seems relatively easy to get a number one album especially since Billboard changed their rules to include streaming. As you said, as long as there's some level of promotion and not a big competitor like Taylor Swift or Eminem, they can achieve it.

I believe there has to be some level of promotion that involves Axl though. At least a few interviews and a TV appearance/performance. We know Slash and Duff can easily bring it when it comes to promotion. A music video even if it's a concept one without the band would also go a long way.

The reality is with the money they've made from touring none of this is necessary like it used to be but I think it would inject new interest and creative life into the band.

Edited by mystery

3 hours ago, Pele said:

It's consistent with what I've been saying.

They have Atlas, Perhaps, General and OMG left.  Those are the songs 'Axl has lying around' so that is what Slash is talking about.  That is what we'll be drip fed.

What do you think is going to happen?

I categorically and undoubtedly believe we won't see what I would consider 'a lot'.

Pele, you know I dig you as a member here and we had some cool convos on the Discord a while back, but for the love of God take a break trying to win unwinnable arguments we only can have theories about currently, and shoot the shit with us like a normal GNR fan :lol:

We know your stance, everyone knows what the posts will say before they are said, I just think what is left but just rehashing this argument more times than Axl did making mixes of Better

51 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Read your post history... I'd rather stick hot pokers in my eyes. 

I can remember for the longest time you mentioned Perhaps/Atlas, it is a recent enough development mentioning OMG and The General. I know you live in your own Pele world, but that is what you've been saying over and over and over and over and OVER again and again. 

Again - I've mentioned The General and OMG repeatedly too.  Anyone can simply check if they are unsure

20 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Pele, you know I dig you as a member here and we had some cool convos on the Discord a while back, but for the love of God take a break trying to win unwinnable arguments we only can have theories about currently, and shoot the shit with us like a normal GNR fan :lol:

We know your stance, everyone knows what the posts will say before they are said, I just think what is left but just rehashing this argument more times than Axl did making mixes of Better

That's just it.

They've all of a sudden ceased to become 'unwinnable'!

Slash has laid down the gauntlet.

They are releasing 'the songs Axl had lying around'.

I've been crystal clear what I believe those songs are.  

My beliefs have upset a lot of people.

We are about to see EXACTLY what songs Rose had lying around.

11 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I don't even think it is that your beliefs have upset people that much, it is the fact that your posts with said beliefs comprise at least 40 percent of all active posting right now lol

Oh well!  We're gonna find out what these songs are!

16 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Actually, that was the only part of my post that wasn't a direct quote from Pele :lol: I felt I needed a quote where he referred to Axl as "Rose" so I just tacked that on.

As for Axl being creatively bankrupt, quite possible. He's had periods where he wasn't able to write before, too. Hopefully it comes and goes.

I doubt he is creatively bankrupt. But Axl may no longer have the drive to make art worthy of the GNR name. 

FWIW, the new Porcupine Tree album coming out in June is a whopping seven songs, and the most recent Queens of the Stone Age album was nine, so the idea that an album in any way automatically indicates anywhere from ten to fourteen songs, as it used to in ye olden days, might be inaccurate.

I remember telling all of you when Absurd/Hard School came out that this was going to happen a lot like how Pixies did it with Indie Cindy.  Releasing singles/EPs and then simply compiling them later and calling it an album.

Show us what ya got, fellas.  Bring it on.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Pele said:

Oh well!  We're gonna find out what these songs are!

If we are gonna find out what these songs are either way, can we chill on turning every thread into the same points and hang out like normal GNR fans in the meantime again? :lol:

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I don’t keep up much these days but wasn’t that 3-4 months ago?

Yeah Hard Skool was released at the end of September but the Slash interview was probably conducted last month, so I assumed that’s what he was referring to. I’m sure there’ll be another single or two this year though, to promote the ongoing tour and to maintain interest in the GNR brand.