Back in the AFD Days, Did You See Duff as the Third Most Important Member?

Like Slash > Axl > Duff > Steven/Izzy? Or was it just Slash > Axl >>>>>> other 3(like how Aerosmith fans see Aerosmith, mainly Steven and Joe, then everyone else). Or even Steven or Izzy over Duff?

These days, he is really seen as important, and I understand cuz he is one of the OG members. He even have his own Funko while other bands mainly just have the singer and the lead guitars.

Personally, I'm not a fan fan of him. As a collective, yeah, he brings authenticity to the current lineup. But if he is not there, as long as Slash and Axl are, I am fine with it.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

In the AFD days I was too young to see beyond Axl and Slash. I didn’t find out about Steven no longer being in the band until I saw the You Could Be Mine video on TV. Izzy came to the fore with his vocal duties on UYI but that didn’t last long. Duff effectively took over as one third of a trio during the UYI tour and for The Spaghetti Incident but of course that lacked anything in the way of songwriting.

• Like 1

the songs wouldn't be the same without his punk conducting skills, his bass tone, the note choices, and his chemistry with Slash. All 5 of them were important but for me Izzy's songwriting ability made him more imprtant compared to Duff. Each one got unique musical traits that made Appetite and beyond possible.

• Like 2

Maybe I misunderstood the question, but I thought it was a question to us who were around back in the AFD days how we looked on the members back then. Not a retrospective question about what we think of the members of the AFD lineup today. I mean, today I appreciate Duff's song writing skills and his bass lines, today I appreciate all Izzy brought to the band, today I appreciate Steven's swing, but back then I was more focused on the lead guitar and the vocals. But maybe I misunderstood the OP?

• Like 1

I was in 7th grade at the time- but my memory is that Izzy was viewed 3rd most important during the AFD-era. Just a "guitar more out front than bass"-type thing. Duff really came to the fore (IMHO) as part of "The Big Three" on the UYI Tour/TSI?- when suddenly Matt/Dizzy/Gilby were all new Members w/no involvement on AFD. 

Of course, today, Duff is very high profile (VR, Columnist, his Seattle rep, model wife, etc.) on his own.

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

Early days is was Axl for me that was the most important, his voice and stage presence drew me in. Then it was Slash and still is for me. I don't remember feeling much about the others at first, only that Duff was the 'ugly' one and Izzy was the cool quiet one and Stephen was the grinning one

9 minutes ago, History2010 said:

How many members on this forum were actually around for AFD? I feel like most members here discovered the band during Illusions or later. I'm sure there is a few on here who have been fans since the very beginning.

I became a fan in September 1988. Definitely not the very beginning- but do have some pretty vivid memories of the lattter AFD-era.

Too young and my mom was busy with me and my brother so they never got to see GNR live, but loved seeing the videos on MTV.

Back in the 80's was when MTV actually played videos and a lot of rock/metal videos. GNR ruled those day.

My mom would video all the videos and as I grew up we would watch them. So cool. 

My brother learned to play drums listening to AFD. He even met Steven once when he was 17. Steven wasn't in such a good place but he was very cool to my brother. He got a pic and an autograph.

Maybe one day my brother will meet Axl. That would be so cool.

I also think of Duff as one of the "Lesser," Original Guns N'Roses Members. Axl,Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven. Steven is definitely the lowest on the Totem Pole for me of the Original Guns N'Roses. Duff is one step above Steven for me. Even on the Appetite For Discussion Album Cover, Duff and Steven are both on the outside. Slash is the Foundation, Izzy is the Head, Axl is the Center, and Duff and Steven merely balance the cross. 

• Like 1

I was around for AFD when it came out. My friend turned me on to the album though I really liked SCOM and WTTJ before listening to his copy of the album.   

It was Axl, Slash, Izzy, Matt, then Duff. I became much more of a Duff fan after watching the UYI Tour Videos from Tokyo. After watching those, I was more Axl, Slash,  Duff,  Matt and Gilby.   To me that's my fav lineup (all due respect to Izzy for his lyrics).  I just preferred Gilby's state presence and sense of style more.

I was not around during AFD, but I do think Duff adds a bit of authenticity and enough of the "old GNR" vibe to give what is basically to the mainstream audience the "Axl and Slash" show some extra credibility

I think it helps that Axl+Slash+Duff were also the core 3 that ended up finishing out the Illusions tour and so it is basically nowadays the Illusions lineup but with different hired replacements and an extra keyboard/background singer in place of Tracy/Roberta - if you want to think about it in such a roundabout way lol

• Like 2