The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

9 hours ago, DTV88 said:

I’m not sure how productive Alex Van Halen has been since his brothers death. There hasn’t even been any tribute concerts or public celebrations that I’m aware of. He and his team may not even notice the Spotify absence considering how little they receive in royalties anyway. 

Not very productive. He reportedly tried to put some kind of tribute thing together according to Mike but that obviously didn't happened. Probably because if Mike wanted Hagar to be included then Alex probably doesn't want do it because he doesn't want anything to do with Hagar. And Dave probably doesn't want anything to do with Hagar either but he also doesn't want to do it, again, without Mike. And Alex won't do it without Dave.

Not long ago Wolfgang said that the whole VH camp is very dysfunctional mess and that it was a miracle that they put out ADKOT, a live album and those tours. And he's talking about his own family members! 😂

And Dave also doesn't have his 1998 DLR solo album, that was released under his own Wawazat! label, on Spotify either. But now recently he has released bunch of new unreleased songs under that same Wawazat! label.

It's so weird...with that band too. 😄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tboneman said:

Not very productive. He reportedly tried to put some kind of tribute thing together according to Mike but that obviously didn't happened. Probably because if Mike wanted Hagar to be included then Alex probably doesn't want do it because he doesn't want anything to do with Hagar. And Dave probably doesn't want anything to do with Hagar either but he also doesn't want to do it, again, without Mike. And Alex won't do it without Dave.

Not long ago Wolfgang said that the whole VH camp is very dysfunctional mess and that it was a miracle that they put out ADKOT, a live album and those tours. And he's talking about his own family members! 😂

And Dave also doesn't have his 1998 DLR solo album, that was released under his own Wawazat! label, on Spotify either. But now recently he has released bunch of new unreleased songs under that same Wawazat! label.

It's so weird...with that band too. 😄

Yeah it sounds like, for a long time, EVH was fine with VH3 being his last album. He had to be convinced to do ADKoT.

Similarly, Kiss considered Psycho Circus to be their swan song for a long time. They only made Sonic Boom in an attempt to try to end on a higher note, and then somehow made an album that was even worse, so they had to go make Monster too (thankfully that one was good).

And then there’s Billy Joel, who’s been a self-proclaimed nostalgia act since 1993.

The point is that a lot of these people “run out of gas” once they hit a certain age. Axl is no different.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah it sounds like, for a long time, EVH was fine with VH3 being his last album. He had to be convinced to do ADKoT.

Similarly, Kiss considered Psycho Circus to be their swan song for a long time. They only made Sonic Boom in an attempt to try to end on a higher note, and then somehow made an album that was even worse, so they had to go make Monster too (thankfully that one was good).

And then there’s Billy Joel, who’s been a self-proclaimed nostalgia act since 1993.

The point is that a lot of these people “run out of gas” once they hit a certain age. Axl is no different.

I think that, at least insofar as it pertains to Billy Joel, he was at least honest and continues to be transparent about his status. He doesn't have anything else that he wants to say and is quite happy playing at MSG and doing his thing (I saw him a couple of weeks ago in Hyde Park. It was one of the best gigs I've been to). The issue with GNR is that members (and historically, Axl) have dangled the possibility of new music, but for whatever reason, it very rarely materialises. 

I personally have no issue with GNR being a nostalgia or legacy act; I won't be seeing them again in any event so it's all the same to me. I also don't particularly care whether they release new music or not but I do empathise with the people who do care or for who, new music is a condition of them seeing GNR live again. 

• Like 1

The difference between these guys and GNR is VH and Billy Joel each have expansive catalogues and multi-decade long periods in which they put out singles/albums and material to a regular release schedule, resulting in a cohesive body of work. GNR did that once … AFD. The rest is just weirdo releases like Lies, Spaghetti Incident and the absolute historic anomaly that is CD. Even UYI is a strange double-double album format, full of oddities and curios. I get they were trying to do stuff ‘differently’ but from the vantage point of hindsight, i find it very scrappy and unsatisfying, especially compared to a legitimate catalog band like Zep, Van Halen, AC/DC etc.

maybe I’m OTT about it but I love bands where you can listen to their catalog front to back and track the progression and changes… GNR‘s catalog is too fractured, with huge gaps and weird choices (Lies/Spaghetti Incident)… 

please note I am not commenting on the quality of the music/content within GNR’s releases, I obviously love a lot of it.. I’m commenting more on how it has all panned out and how it is quite dissatisfying compared to the other artists being discussed.

before you start defending your sacred cows, please note in the China Exchange interview, Axl even himself corrects a fan talking about ‘all the music they’ve released’ with ‘in the very little music I’ve released’. He knows it’s a scrappy catalog. 

• Like 2

If by the end of their career we have another couple of albums and then postumously some odds and ends, that would probably be a massive success...while not looking likely right now...nothing in life is static, something could change in the future....perhaps VR kills off the big bucks in touring and music finally finds an experience you can't really pirate, like the one Bono banged on about for a good while....then music again becomes the dominant $ stream. Unlikely....but the future moves quickly...I do think we will have a much better catalogue than we do now in 25 years but before you swoop on me, I'm an eternal optimist (usually) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Brain's drums on the disc with the three versions are fucking amazing, I wish they mixed Axl better on that disc. 

Aside from Perhaps having two verses repeated, it's solid as is, IMO, I suppose that works for that song. 

I sure as fuck hope they keep Brain's drums on Atlas, and with Perhaps, I assume they will use Brain's take instead of Josh's take. Unless Frank did drums for either. They mixed Brain's drums on Absurd far too low, IMO. It's painful listening the the 2008 album, then the two new singles and comparing the quality of mixing. The 2008 album being mixed pretty damn well, except for the bass IMO it needed 1-2 dB boost but aside from that it and the mastering was wonderful. 

The entire CD 1-2 with no Bumblefoot (Bucket's parts restored) with Tommy's bass cranked up a bit, oh that would be the bee's knees!

This sums up my thoughts precisely. Loved album mixing/mastering, really quality and highlights the haphazard approach to recent 2 songs. 

Atlas drums up 1.5 is simply stunning and perfect as is, so not looking forward to there eventual remix of it. Always thought that if the Hardschool VL version, had the same drum mix/ treatment it would sound better imo, although with saying this, it's still my fav version. Also, Perhaps is fine as is. Just needs to be mixed to 2008 standard Imo.

• Like 1

I know this has been suggested a few times over the years but as we get closer to the 20 year mark (and end of the deal)…..I’m definitely more into the theory that we won’t see any album release until the publishing deal with Sanctuary is done. I think that’s up next year?

Of course this could be a complete ‘red herring’ and not be affecting anything other than procrastination!

Edited by DTJ80

3 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

If by the end of their career we have another couple of albums

Steady on. Right now we're just hoping they'll release a song that's at least 23 years old.

Two albums... I just can't see it. I can barely see one.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I know this has been suggested a few times over the years but as we get closer to the 20 year mark (and end of the deal)…..I’m definitely more into the theory that we won’t see any album release until the publishing deal with Sanctuary is done. I think that’s up next year?

Of course this could be a complete ‘red herring’ and not be affecting anything other than procrastination!

The thing is that there's no publishing deal with Sanctuary, It was bought out by Universal years ago, so now Axl has a publishing deal with Universal, which we don't know if it ends at the same time the original Sanctuary deal was supposed to end.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Brain's drums on the disc with the three versions are fucking amazing, I wish they mixed Axl better on that disc. 

Aside from Perhaps having two verses repeated, it's solid as is, IMO, I suppose that works for that song. 

I sure as fuck hope they keep Brain's drums on Atlas, and with Perhaps, I assume they will use Brain's take instead of Josh's take. Unless Frank did drums for either. They mixed Brain's drums on Absurd far too low, IMO. It's painful listening the the 2008 album, then the two new singles and comparing the quality of mixing. The 2008 album being mixed pretty damn well, except for the bass IMO it needed 1-2 dB boost but aside from that it and the mastering was wonderful. 

The entire CD 1-2 with no Bumblefoot (Bucket's parts restored) with Tommy's bass cranked up a bit, oh that would be the bee's knees!

The bottom paragraph. I concur. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sweersa said:

The 2008 album being mixed pretty damn well, except for the bass IMO it needed 1-2 dB boost but aside from that it and the mastering was wonderful. 

I disagree. I think it was professionally mixed indeed, but there's a lot of the punchy-ness that was present on the demos and were absent on the album. It lacks not only a more clear bass, but also the attack that the songs suggest. 

While I like some of Bumble additions, his rhythm guitars are way too loud in the mix and often changed too much of the original arrangement. The worst was in Street of Dreams and Riad, where his guitar (right channel) pushed away to be condensed in the left channel the others (Richard/Paul and Robin) guitars. 

Even some of the cool synths from the 2001/02 era were missing in the final version - not because it was edited out, but because it was so low in the mix that you can barely hear it or only noticeable on the stems.

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I've seen this theory. Not impossible, but very unlikely that the deal is what it's preventing anything. I mean, they did release stuff lately, so it's not like they can't do anything.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

47 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I disagree. I think it was professionally mixed indeed, but there's a lot of the punchy-ness that was present on the demos and were absent on the album. It lacks not only a more clear bass, but also the attack that the songs suggest. 

While I like some of Bumble additions, his rhythm guitars are way too loud in the mix and often changed too much of the original arrangement. The worst was in Street of Dreams and Riad, where his guitar (right channel) pushed away to be condensed in the left channel the others (Richard/Paul and Robin) guitars. 

Even some of the cool synths from the 2001/02 era were missing in the final version - not because it was edited out, but because it was so low in the mix that you can barely hear it or only noticeable on the stems.

I've seen this theory. Not impossible, but very unlikely that the deal is what it's preventing anything. I mean, they did release stuff lately, so it's not like they can't do anything.

I agree with all your points, I just accept that the mixes by 2008 were probably not going to change much in my hypothetical situation with Bucket’s parts being restored. 
The Village mixes were superior IMO in just about every way, especially The Blues with the synth or keyboards.  

• Like 2

A new GNR release wont impact the music world. But it will help gain some attention to their shows and tour, whilst giving back to their diehards that have supported the band through thick and thin. 
I dont get it- like they release the Absurdity of ‘Absurd’ (which i like haha) so obviously they dont give two fucks what any media thinks of their music. So whats the hold up, why does Axl care so much!! Time to finally give back to the fans because we are going to stop buying tickets to the never ending tour.

• ABSUЯD 1

18 minutes ago, Nightrain7 said:

A new GNR release wont impact the music world. But it will help gain some attention to their shows and tour, whilst giving back to their diehards that have supported the band through thick and thin. 
I dont get it- like they release the Absurdity of ‘Absurd’ (which i like haha) so obviously they dont give two fucks what any media thinks of their music. So whats the hold up, why does Axl care so much!! Time to finally give back to the fans because we are going to stop buying tickets to the never ending tour.

Judging by the amount of available tickets in the US, I think most have stopped buying tickets. 

When the lots of us say new music will help ticket sales, it’s not because we think people will see the shows to see the new music. It’s because it gets their names in articles, music reviews, and normal bands will even do stuff like talk shows to promote it. Then people are reminded GNR exists. Right now there’s basically nothing selling people on GNR in NA.

• Like 2

I can't imagine a couple of singles dropping at this stage with 0 promotion doing anything to boost the ticket sales sadly. We're 8 days away from the tour kicking off so it'll be interesting to see how the attendance will look and whether or not it'll motivate the camp to change their approach for the next run of shows they do - whether that be announcing an album for another stadium run or just carrying on, dropping a single every couple of years and doing arenas.

The only thing that could impact ticket sales in any significant way is a huge social media push on Monday/Tuesday promoting new material and the tour in one huge wave.

But even then, unless it’s an album I can’t see that having any huge success either. Some media outlets will pick up any GNR story, but “another new one off single by GNR” doesn’t sell like “Axl and Slash announce first album together in 30 years”.

Edited by bmus1
  • Like 2

Are ticket sales really that bad for the band right now that they would need to release a single? Side note: every gnr show I’ve been too, seems to be made up mostly of fans who probably don’t even own all the music, let alone a new single. Seems like most are there for a rock show that’s in their hometown. So, I don’t see a single helping with Sales. If anything, I’d say whatever the band releases they are just doing so because they want to, not because they have to for any reason.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ryanf23 said:

Are ticket sales really that bad for the band right now that they would need to release a single? Side note: every gnr show I’ve been too, seems to be made up mostly of fans who probably don’t even own all the music, let alone a new single. Seems like most are there for a rock show that’s in their hometown. So, I don’t see a single helping with Sales. If anything, I’d say whatever the band releases they are just doing so because they want to, not because they have to for any reason.  

Yup exactly. At this point the boosting the marketing itself to sell tickets is out of the band's hands. The only thing they could tangibly do to quickly pump up the media and sales would be to tease or release something worth other parties sharing the news. That or dump a shit ton of money into social media ads.

The big markets are selling fine it looks like (I'm trying to go to Fenway and decent tickets are sparse without buying a crazy inflated resale one) but the smaller shows have so many tickets unsold compared to a few years ago.