The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

2 hours ago, Underhardy said:

It’s only rock n’ roll… you don’t think these guys can write a rocker in a couple days? Lol.. build a song around a riff. It’s what they do. And by appeal to the masses, I mean put out a traditional rock song, something lacking today. Perhaps was not it. Perhaps had 0% chances from the start of appealing to the masses. 

Perhaps has a better shot of "appealing to the masses" today than a traditional rock song does

• Like 2

I heard Rock the Rock again a few days ago…Axl sounds so weird in the first phrase 

There’s been many times he choose badly the vocals. The main example being Madagascar.

Imagine that song with the verses with clean voice or a proper raspy voice.

Everytime I hear the “oh no i wont be told anymore” I ask myself who the hell would think that sounds good or the best it could

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A band who’s members are in their 50’s/60’s aren’t going to appeal to the masses with or without the hardest rock song you can imagine. Those are some wild expectations 

Why does a song’s success matter to people? You either like it or don’t 

Edited by guitarpatch

4 hours ago, Underhardy said:

It’s only rock n’ roll… you don’t think these guys can write a rocker in a couple days? Lol.. build a song around a riff. It’s what they do. And by appeal to the masses, I mean put out a traditional rock song, something lacking today. Perhaps was not it. Perhaps had 0% chances from the start of appealing to the masses. 

Perhaps is a traditional rock song

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I always thought Tonto was underrated. Love the slower guitar part.

Zodiac, Oklahoma, and Soul Monster are all A tier too

CD2 could have been the heaviest GNR album, yet. Lots of killer material in the instrumentals. It’s a shame it wasn’t completed/released in around 2010.

Ideally, CD would have come out in 2006 and CD 2 in 2008

Ideally CD would have come out in 2001, knowing what we know now. The Village leaks show they had more or less an album and a half of completed songs in 2000 and everything else they finished came from when Buckethead was still in the band, even if it was technically completed after his departure 

Edited by Mikey Whipwreck
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Great!!! Its all a matter of taste 

For me the Leeds 2002 version, or even the RIR3 version approach sounds waaaaaaay better

I agree, the whole "old man's voice" approach he choose for the final version is a total brain fart.

Really bad choice but nobody told him, apparently.

19 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Axl apparently wasn't singing until he started doing vocals for ChiDem in '98. IIRC GnR members confirmed he didn't sing a note on any of the material that was being worked on during those '95-'97 sessions.

When Robin left the band in 1999, he was upset about not working in structured songs, with no vocals recorded. But we know now that there was indeed songs in a semi-finished state back then. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rovim said:

idk, but Axl did say in 2016 in the China Exchange interview that he would love to release more music and that was 3 years before the Locker leaks so if you believe what he said then, I think he might have released more tunes but the leaks did happen so I guess we'll never know unless someone askes Axl or someday Axl writes about it in a book or something.

The General is basically unreleased and still we're gonna get it. I think this theory is invalid.

But maybe it makes the desicion for Axl easier to choose what to release if something got leaked, but it's obviously not the only criterion. 

7 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I heard Rock the Rock again a few days ago…Axl sounds so weird in the first phrase 

There’s been many times he choose badly the vocals. The main example being Madagascar.

Imagine that song with the verses with clean voice or a proper raspy voice.

Everytime I hear the “oh no i wont be told anymore” I ask myself who the hell would think that sounds good or the best it could

I tend to agree. I remember when the leaks happened and people were adamant the vocals on parts of Madagascar and The Blues were simply guide vocals for the demo and would be redone for the final version… 

They definitely don’t stack up against the vocals on songs like Shacklers or If The World (love it or hate it as a song).

9 hours ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

Perhaps is a traditional rock song

Oh no.. a piano lick intro and whiny nasally vocals are NOT a traditional rock song. 1 verse repeating itself is not a traditional rock song. The buildup to the bombastic chorus is cool, but the song does not have legs, and is not what a casual fan (the majority) wants to hear 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

Ideally CD would have come out in 2001, knowing what we know now. The Village leaks show they had more or less an album and a half of completed songs in 2000 and everything else they finished came from when Buckethead was still in the band, even if it was technically completed after his departure 

The real surprise is that by late 2001 they hadn't added Bucket to Twat, CD, The Blues, Prostitute etc. Clearly the plan was for CD2 to be more Buckethead based. 

• Like 2

I honestly think an LP is around the corner. I really don't think Axl abandoned the second half of chinese as a whole as the more recent Perhaps vocals gave me a bit more hope  (Maybe that's a little too optimistic for Guns but looking at what has been said by Axl himself alot of this material has been done for a while just reworked recently and if you remember when the reunion first happened one of Axls "terms" according to a Slash interview was to help get this material out there, cant remember which interview but im 100 percent sure that is what i read. I have a hard time believing Axl worked on all of those songs just to sit on them all and not release them) but this is what I think will go down: We get The General in October then sometime "soon" we will get Atlas and Soul Monster and the rest like Tonto, Berlin, Se7en, Monstrocity, Thyme, Cuban Skies and Light My Fire will be released under just a self titled LP ( all in one with all the other singles released so far including Atlas and Soul Monster) and there you have CD2.....eventually....lol. Or it will all leak beforehand eventually. Wonder which scenario will come first? 🤔 Even if im wrong and very well could be as long as I eventually get The General and Soul Monster ill be a happy man.

Edited by Carnal894x

I also am an LP believer, but I'm managing my own expectations and am still expecting a Lies 2 format. Nothing makes me think anything more than the 3 singles, The General, and Atlas are done. But that would be enough to round out a release with their strongest live songs.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

I also am an LP believer, but I'm managing my own expectations and am still expecting a Lies 2 format. Nothing makes me think anything more than the 3 singles, The General, and Atlas are done. But that would be enough to round out a release with their strongest live songs.

The problem with a Lies style release is no one rill count that as an album. Some 23 year old leftover tracks and some live songs and a few covers is NOT an album. 

I'd rather one off singles. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Underhardy said:

Oh no.. a piano lick intro and whiny nasally vocals are NOT a traditional rock song. 1 verse repeating itself is not a traditional rock song. The buildup to the bombastic chorus is cool, but the song does not have legs, and is not what a casual fan (the majority) wants to hear 

Piano's been an integral part of rock music from the beginning. Doesn't get more traditional than that. The rest of those critiques come down to taste and execution. I'm calling it traditional because it's a simple mid-tempo rock song that could have been composed in 1976, 1993 or 2004. 

As far as them getting in a room and making something better in 2023, I doubt it. The key members have shown signs of being creatively bankrupt for some time. Vocally and lyrically, I don't see Axl improving on his 1998-2007 work, when he was at least motivated to get in the studio and had something to say. Which is why we're getting the leftovers. He has nothing to write about and has deteriorated vocally. If that wasn't the case they would have recorded and released new music by now 

A brand new "riff rocker" would probably similar in quality to Hard Skool, instrumentally. Hard Skool basically sounds like SMKC featuring Axl Rose. And a new "Axl song" is unlikely to be better than Perhaps. 

Edited by Mikey Whipwreck
  • Like 4