Who Dictates the Setlist- Axl or a Group(Big 3) Decision?

or is it actually Fernando and/or Beta?!

I havent been to SMKC concerts for a decade now but I remember they changed their setlist a lot. So probably, Slash got no say for GNR?

I remember an interview of Sambora, when he said Jon would change some songs last minute to keep the band on their toes. I was even on Rock in Rio 2019- printed setlist, last song states „Never Say Goodbye”, but the crowd were chanting and singing „Always”, so after a long pause, they played „Always”.

Would be cool if GN’R do the same- even if not play songs they havent played in a while- just shuffle it. Keep the fans guessing! Hell, opening with Witchita Lineman is fresh and acceptable at this point!

Just now, Stay.Of.Execution said:

LOL. As if Fernando or Beta have any say in the Setlist.

Maybe! Axl and Slash show the printed setlist(with Bad Obsession and Bad Apples, open with Sympathy for the Devil) to the rest. Beta and Fernando says „nao nao nao”, then show their own setlist, which is what we usually get.

• Haha 4

I suppose Axl is boss and it's also a production thing - light, video screens and all.

Jungle is the ultimate GNR opener imo, anywhere else in the set this song just loses impact and momentum, loved it when they opened shows with that between 2001 and 2006.

Patience would be a great opener, would love to see them bringing back an open mind and tight but loose approach to this whole thing instead of the ever so static broken record setist they been playing for almost a decade now.

• Like 1

I would think mostly Axl because he's the singer and he has the power to stop a song mid performance and just switch to a different tune like he did that one time with Chinese, replacing it in the middle with Jungle cause the crowd wasn't feeling it or some shit.

I think that sometimes the band members, at least some of them would talk during the show and check with Axl if it's cool to perform a specific tune.

• Like 1

i think it's mainly Axl because of his voice, in which songs he feels comfortable

It's So Easy is a great start for him to sing. Nightrain or Welcome To The Jungle maybe hard to sing at beginning with higher vocals? Chinese Democracy was great but it's not fitting todays GN'R shows with Slash to begin with

But I'm pretty sure Slash wanted DTJ, Coma. extended Rocket Queen, Godfather Noodling, Slither and Duff I Wanna Be Your Dog, Raw Power, New Rose, So Fine, You Put Your Arms...
And all CD & ACDC Songs, ThE sEeKeR and WiChItA lInEmAn was Axls Idea.

the rest is standard.

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's been mainly Axl since the '80s.

Sorry, Blackstar, but the band didn't have a setlist during the 80's and the 90's. They had a call list: a bunch of songs reharsed and they played whatever they feel like it in the moment.

BUT, the NITL became boring already in 2017, who would've tought that they would be playing the exact same thing (with minor changes) 6 years after.

In 2016 the concerts in Brazil were explosive! In 2017 it was magical, but in 2022 I felt the band is getting tired. The São Paulo concert was off, even with the minor changes in the setlist (Shadow of Your Love, Reckless Life, HS and Absurd).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Legendador said:

Sorry, Blackstar, but the band didn't have a setlist during the 80's and the 90's. They had a call list: a bunch of songs reharsed and they played whatever they feel like it in the moment.

Yes, and Axl called the songs. They did have a setlist in the 80s (there are memorabilia) and in 1992 though, although they weren't always faithful to it (again, Axl called the songs). Even now it's like that - they have a regular setlist and a long alt setlist - it's just more rare for Axl to call songs from the alt list, but once in the blue moon they play something that it's not even in the alt list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Maybe! Axl and Slash show the printed setlist(with Bad Obsession and Bad Apples, open with Sympathy for the Devil) to the rest. Beta and Fernando says „nao nao nao”, then show their own setlist, which is what we usually get.

No🤣

Reality is that Axl chooses. The others get to suggest ideas, but outside of solos or Duff singing a song they can't get a song played without Axl agreeing and then agreeing to add it to the set. Obviously Slash and Duff suggested locomotive/Coma etc. So a bit Collaborative but 90% all Axl 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Legendador said:

BUT, the NITL became boring already in 2017, who would've tought that they would be playing the exact same thing (with minor changes) 6 years after.

In 2016 the concerts in Brazil were explosive! In 2017 it was magical, but in 2022 I felt the band is getting tired. The São Paulo concert was off, even with the minor changes in the setlist (Shadow of Your Love, Reckless Life, HS and Absurd).

Every band has a setlist, even if it's only a guideline that they pick and choose songs from

I think it was cool of Axl to perform Locomotive, Coma, and Slither on the NITL tour and for Slash and Duff to play the CD tunes as well. I hope they bring Locomotive back again. They only performed it a few times, but it sounded good, A shame about Slash not using the wah pedal for the Loco outro. I would like an extended outro for this song.

"Axl's voice is a little off tonight so he's going to dance along whilst Duff takes over. The setlist will be the following:

1. Attitude

2. I Wanna Be Your Dog

3. Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory 

4. Attitude (acoustic)

5. I Wanna Be Your Dog (reggae mix)

6. Guitar solo

7. Slither (just the intro)

8. Attitude (xylophone mix)

9. Drum Solo

10. November Rain intro/Attitude (Pyrotechnics)"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

And all CD ... Songs ... was Axls Idea.

But Slash and Duff asked Axl which ones he wanted to do at the start of all this. That's on record, so the chances are he would've been fine not doing them. It was also Axl's idea to do Slither.

I think it's very much a collective decision, but led by Axl (someone's got to take a lead, but it seems to be very much a team effort – hell, we even know of Frank asking to do Out Ta Get Me).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

thanks guys! Is this the case for most other bands? The lead singer like Axl and Jon calling the shots?

In Metallica Lars makes the setlists, but they generally compile a master list before the tour of day 50/60 songs so everybody knows what might come up or at least be familiar with it. Sometimes if James is having voice trouble he'll make changes for easier songs... End of the day it's all about the singer, if they suck the band sucks

• Wow 1