Who Dictates the Setlist- Axl or a Group(Big 3) Decision?

42 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

Real talk: I've been wondering what Slash and Duff (and the rest of the band, for that matter) think about the setlist never really changing. 

Given how enthusiastic they look sleepwalking through the set, I think it's safe to say they just don't give a fuck anymore and laugh all the way to the bank.

For a band famous for always having a virtuoso singer and a virtuoso lead guitarist, they sure leave a lot to be desired musically, resting on their laurels as "living legends" and offering the bare minimum.

Let's face it, they just don't really play any exciting concerts anymore, it's just a streamlined and corporate "production", feels more like an exhibition or a museum now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

To be fair they’ve added songs over the years 

The main set is static, but it contains nearly everything a casual fan who’s paying $ wants to hear. Those people want to hear the hits and that’s what gets the reaction. They have a bunch of alt songs of deep cuts to sprinkle in. They’ve tackled nearly all of CD 

The issue is that there’s only a handful of albums worth of material. The tour isn’t meant to be dissected to death every night. They aren’t doing streams to play to people on their couches. They pretty much play the songs straight through the same. It’s not Phish.

There’s just not much left to dust off that hasn’t been played 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

The main set is static, but it contains nearly everything a casual fan who’s paying $ wants to hear. Those people want to hear the hits and that’s what gets the reaction. They have a bunch of alt songs of deep cuts to sprinkle in. They’ve tackled nearly all of CD 

The issue is that there’s only a handful of albums worth of material. The tour isn’t meant to be dissected to death every night. They aren’t doing streams to play to people on their couches. They pretty much play the songs straight through the same. It’s not Phish.

I agree. The tour isn't meant to be dissected every night. Let's just dissect it year by year and be fair about it😜

The facts are that the hits have to be included. Everybody is fine with this. BUT that equals 8 must have songs, the rest is up for grabs. And that rule goes for every band. By and large at these stadium shows the majority are not aware of much past the greatest hits, and of course you're there to entertain the whole audience... but once you've played the set in stone songs, you have carte blanche. Just structure your set that your lesser known material is pillared your hits. 

That Pretty tied up was soundchecked and never played is a travesty. I could go through the albums and pick out a bunch of other songs that would be great songs, for any crowd whether they know the song or not too!

On 2/27/2023 at 5:39 PM, guitarpatch said:

Nailed it.

On 2/27/2023 at 4:55 PM, adamsapple said:

it's just a streamlined and corporate "production"

What, so like every major touring act that plays stadiums these days? GN'R isn't much different to any other touring act these days, and I don't understand why people can't see this.

They aren't going to play some edgy, unpredictable show in some bar coked up to their eyeballs on a Tuesday night anymore. Of course it's going to be a polished and somewhat predictable production. It's the same for almost every other big band out there now

Edited by DoMw94

Looking at the setlist from their last show and there's less covers (outside KOHD and LALD) than I thought. My main thing would be dropping Slither, I Wanna Be Your Dog, and Wichita Lineman. Dig into the back catalog a bit and play Bad Obsession, The Garden, or the various other UYI songs that Izzy sang on.

It always feels like they don't mine those albums as much as they should especially having just put out a box set. There's even a few Appetite songs that don't get played often like Think About You and Anything Goes.

5 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

thanks guys! Is this the case for most other bands? The lead singer like Axl and Jon calling the shots?

In RHCP Anthony writes setlist. Similar to Metallica, they have 50-60 songs rehearsed and then Anthony looks at the previous setlists in that city, how's he feeling that day or if the band wants to play some songs. 

That's also the same with Pearl Jam but they have like their whole catalog rehearsed lol

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

There's a lot that goes into a set list that needs input from many sources.  There's what the audience wants to hear that keeps your band touring from most popular to new music.  There's the whole presentation of the music from the musicians, sound equipment, video support, changing out guitars, giving people breaks, etc.  It's a collaboration process, not a dictator thing or a small group decision.

5 minutes ago, cineater said:

There's a lot that goes into a set list that needs input from many sources.  There's what the audience wants to hear that keeps your band touring from most popular to new music.  There's the whole presentation of the music from the musicians, sound equipment, video support, changing out guitars, giving people breaks, etc.  It's a collaboration process, not a dictator thing or a small group decision.

but someone does have the final say in Gn'R's case when it comes to the setlist and also in other areas imo, and that's Axl.  Most of the factors you've mentioned could be handled by multiple people before the show. 

12 minutes ago, cineater said:

I get your point but then again it's not like Metallica with 200+ songs that would be so hard to decide lol  

4 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

Real talk: I've been wondering what Slash and Duff (and the rest of the band, for that matter) think about the setlist never really changing. 

They're perfectly fine. Cash pouring into account... Slash pays USD139,000 monthly to Perla and son with no worries anymore...

7 years passed and they're fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Axl has determined which songs and generally in which order are best for his voice to make it through the set, the tour, etc. 

I’m not a fan of the 10+ min Rocket Queen, KOHD, etc but they provide a good vocal break. 

That said, there are several songs that could be swapped for better variety that would have no affect on the core songs for the casual fans and still not further tax Axl. (Bad Obsession, You Ain’t the First, The Garden, So Fine, Pretty Tied Up). Bring back Madagascar, Dead Horse and Locomotive and a deep track like Breakdown. 

8 hours ago, Rovim said:

but someone does have the final say in Gn'R's case when it comes to the setlist and also in other areas imo, and that's Axl.  Most of the factors you've mentioned could be handled by multiple people before the show. 

So he wants to be a dick, demand they do a certain song with his sound engineers saying he's going to sound like shit and the band saying they don't have it down.  Do you think the man is stupid?

It's probably something in their contracts they've worked out.  Axl's not stupid there either.  I don't think Axl tells Duff what song he's going to do or Slash what solo he's doing.  It's something they agreed on.  The last thing Axl would want is the band thinking he was going to ride shot gun over everything.  Remember, he called Slash.  They all have their own managers and contracts.  Whatever those agreements are, they all appear to be happy campers.  Axl said, the band liked Absurd and they were going to keep playing it.  Never said he liked it.  :lol:

54 minutes ago, cineater said:

So he wants to be a dick, demand they do a certain song with his sound engineers saying he's going to sound like shit and the band saying they don't have it down.  Do you think the man is stupid?

It's probably something in their contracts they've worked out.  Axl's not stupid there either.  I don't think Axl tells Duff what song he's going to do or Slash what solo he's doing.  It's something they agreed on.  The last thing Axl would want is the band thinking he was going to ride shot gun over everything.  Remember, he called Slash.  They all have their own managers and contracts.  Whatever those agreements are, they all appear to be happy campers.  Axl said, the band liked Absurd and they were going to keep playing it.  Never said he liked it.  :lol:

I don't think he's a stupid dick, but in Gn'R, it's Axl's job to actually sing the tunes which are quite challenging, and most bands do have a band member (or members) who is more of the leader, or at least has more of a say and in Gn'R, that's Axl.

13 hours ago, mystery said:

Looking at the setlist from their last show and there's less covers (outside KOHD and LALD) than I thought. My main thing would be dropping Slither, I Wanna Be Your Dog, and Wichita Lineman. Dig into the back catalog a bit and play Bad Obsession, The Garden, or the various other UYI songs that Izzy sang on.

It always feels like they don't mine those albums as much as they should especially having just put out a box set. There's even a few Appetite songs that don't get played often like Think About You and Anything Goes.

Just using your post as a stepping stone to post this graph that provides some granularity to the setlists and from what albums they pick their songs, and how this has changed over the years,

untitl19.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cineater said:

It's probably something in their contracts they've worked out. 

Huh? A contract who decides which songs to do?? :lol::facepalm:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dean said:

I loved Axl's little tidbit in his interview with TMS.

"Frank wants to play Shacklers."

"Yeah? Tell Frank nobody asked!"

:lol:

When I saw GNR in Hershey in 2017 they played Whole Lotta Rosie because Frank wanted to :)

21 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Jungle is the ultimale GNR opener imo, anywhere else in the set this song just loses impact and momentum, loved it when they opened shows with that between 2001 and 2006.

Patience would be a great opener, would love to see them bringing back an open mind and tight but loose approach to this whole thing instead of the ever so static broken record setist they been playing for almost a decade now.

I actually like Jungle being the third or 4th song in the set.  You kinda warm up with songs like Easy/Brownstone and then you go into arguably their most powerful song.

Patience would be an awesome opener.  What hard rock band opens with an acoustic ballad lol. You need something rocking to open a show 

22 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

or is it actually Fernando and/or Beta?!

I havent been to SMKC concerts for a decade now but I remember they changed their setlist a lot. So probably, Slash got no say for GNR?

I remember an interview of Sambora, when he said Jon would change some songs last minute to keep the band on their toes. I was even on Rock in Rio 2019- printed setlist, last song states „Never Say Goodbye”, but the crowd were chanting and singing „Always”, so after a long pause, they played „Always”.

Would be cool if GN’R do the same- even if not play songs they havent played in a while- just shuffle it. Keep the fans guessing! Hell, opening with Witchita Lineman is fresh and acceptable at this point!

Bon Jovi does it right and everyone who says they can't do it once on the tour 'foor this or that - lies'.

For example, I was at their Zagreb concert 2011, after Zagreb they played Dresden and changed 5 songs compared to Zagreb, after Dresden they played Munich and changed another 7...and that is what they always do.  In Lisabon, crowd  chated I Believe and they played it for them.

Who wants to go to the concert when you exactly know which song will be played and when!?  Spoils the whole experience.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Answer: The millions of people who have attended the GN'R shows over these last few years.

Exactly. It's great if there are rotating songs, but the fact is, that usually doesn't happen. Most acts stick to one setlist and maybe have 1 or 2 songs changed, if the audience is lucky. We get that with GNR too. Sometimes there is a different song played than the night before.

• Like 1