Have you ever been to a member (or former member) Guns n Roses concert that wasn't GnR

Somewhat crazy story.  I went to a New Orleans Hornets ( right after the team moved here and before they changed their name to the Pelicans) with some family and friends. 

After the game,  we decided to walk around town and grab some drinks.   We came across a small club with one of those bi-fold standing bill boards that you see clubs/bars put out on the sidewalk.   On the billboard was handwritten "Slash 2nite". Thinking it was simply a joke I asked the bouncer who was playing, and he said Slash (duh).  So thinking he was joking,  I said Slash? Slash? He said yep.  We threw our cover money at the dude so fast.  

Come to find out,  it was a COMPLETELY unannounced Slash's Snakepit show.  The bar held about 200 or so people and it was AWESOME!

They only played 1 Guns song,  Mr. Brownstone.   When they did, the place erupted.  Kinda surprised the walls of the place were still standing after. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Buckethead, twice. First time he played a little bar near my house, just played to a backing track, but it was cool. I think Shores Of Molokai was his newest album at the time, he played a couple songs from that, and handed me a Star Wars puzzle during the toy handout.

Second time was with Brain and Brewer in Seattle (at the Showbox, really cool venue) and it was way better seeing him with an actual band.

• Like 2

Slash (Ft. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators) four times – Manchester 2014, Manchester 2019, Doncaster 2019, Download 2019.

Axl Rose (with AC/DC) once – Manchester 2016

Duff McKagan (with Shooter Jennings) once – Manchester 2019

Josh Freese (at the Taylor Hawkins tribute concert) once (well, several times in the same day) – London 2022

Loaded The academy Dublin...can't remember the year, 

SMKC 2012 Hammersmith Apollo, 2015 o2 arena Dublin

Bumblefoot London 2013? in some dive😄 Athlone ireland in a hotel conference room and some other date in 2019

Richard with thin Lizzy in 2012

All were good gigs, Loaded was probably the best though followed by Slash in 2015 on the World on fire run.

Saw VR in 2004 before the release of their debut album

Tommy Stinson and Josh Freese with The Replacements in 2015

Josh Freese and Robin with NIN in 2008

Axl with AC/DC in 2016

Edited by veon

10 hours ago, Rjuncajun said:

Somewhat crazy story.  I went to a New Orleans Hornets ( right after the team moved here and before they changed their name to the Pelicans) with some family and friends. 

After the game,  we decided to walk around town and grab some drinks.   We came across a small club with one of those bi-fold standing bill boards that you see clubs/bars put out on the sidewalk.   On the billboard was handwritten "Slash 2nite". Thinking it was simply a joke I asked the bouncer who was playing, and he said Slash (duh).  So thinking he was joking,  I said Slash? Slash? He said yep.  We threw our cover money at the dude so fast.  

Come to find out,  it was a COMPLETELY unannounced Slash's Snakepit show.  The bar held about 200 or so people and it was AWESOME!

They only played 1 Guns song,  Mr. Brownstone.   When they did, the place erupted.  Kinda surprised the walls of the place were still standing after. 

What year was that?

I've seen SMKC 4 times, Phoenix 2018, Phoenix, LA, and Vegas 2022. Seen Gilby perform about half a dozen times at NAMM events (3 times he had Teddy ZigZag with him).

Duff on Believe in Me Tour in 93

Slash's Snakepit x2 in 95 (gilby in band)

Matt with The Cult

Gilby solo x2, (1 of the times I booked the show). Gilby with starfuckers, guest spot with The Throbs.

Velvet Revolver x4

Loaded x5

Slash with conspirators x5

Slash guest spot with Motorhead

Duff with walking papers x2

Duff with shooter x 2

Axl with ac/dc x1

Fortus with Thin Lizzy x2

Dizzy n fortus x 1 dead daisies

Edited by ckgent

Saw Slash with Miles Kennedy a few time in Birmingham, Leeds and Doncaster UK

Duff with Loaded at Fibbers in York UK and with Walking Papers (got photo and autograph) at the Yardbirds Rock Club in Grimsby!

Steven Adler with Adlers Appetite at the Yardbirds Rock Club

Gilby Clarke at the Yardbirds Rock Club

VR - twice

SMKC - twice (maybe a third)

Gilby Clarke - once

The first VR show and the Gilby one were special.

• The VR one because there was such a massive buzz at the time, and they were really good live.
  • The Gilby one because I got to meet him and the band. It was a really small venue and I was surprised they were playing there. I was about 10 feet from the stage the whole time, and i was really into his music at the time. Their drummer gave me a free album from his band. They were very down to earth. Great experience. 

• Like 1

Saw VR once- there 1st tour and was at a small Mpls club.  It was very cool seeing Slash n Duff back together on stage again. 

Saw Slash with MK&C last year.  Saw Steven Adler  (Fremont Street in Vegas). 

**Saw Axl Rose with a bunch of musicians I had never heard of a few times.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rjuncajun said:

Have you ever been to a member (or former member) Guns n Roses concert that wasn't GnR

Velvet Revolver in 2009

Slash & Myles Kenedy in 2012 

I'd really LOVE to see Tommy Stinson or Izzy Stradlin. Would definitely go to either if they tour Europe, money and location are not an issue.  

I suppose I'd consider an Adler show, but it has to be afforable and I wouldn't travel as far. He's the only of the AFD five I've never seen live (I did see Izzy as a special guest for GnR in 2006). 

Might go see Buckethead if I have the chance, not really sure. I absolutely love some of his stuff, but I don't really care for a ton of his stuff either. 

Edited by username