Josh Freese announced as new drummer for Foo Fighters

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Not much love for Foo Fighters here! 

I'm surprised actually. Decent enough band, some great tunes in their catalogue. 

I know around here we prefer our bands idle and coasting on the past, but Foo Fighters aren't so bad, surely?! 

They have some great albums, everything up until wasting light is pretty awesome (one by one and in your honour are just mediocre though). but they're formula has become very stale recently. not many outstanding songs since then. although sonic highway was not bad either. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nintari said:

I would argue that the last great thing he put out was Unplugged... and I own Wasting Light.

The truth is, if 1993 Dave met 2023 Dave, 1993 Dave would want to punch 2023 Dave right in the face.

Wasting Light was an absolutely fantastic album. And probably the last great album from them, but they’re still a great live band. 

Watching the rehearsal footage of Josh with Foos, he is already complimenting them and fitting right in. 

I wish Axl kept him for GN’R, as he really is an amazing drummer. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm surprised actually. Decent enough band, some great tunes in their catalogue. 

I know around here we prefer our bands idle and coasting on the past, but Foo Fighters aren't so bad, surely?! 

I love Foo Fighters, but I haven’t loved anything since Sonic Highways. Their albums that followed had a few good singles, but nothing as good as the early stuff. 

Still, I remain a big fan, because they always put on a great show, and from the rehearsal footage, Josh already fits right in. 

• Like 2

At this point, what is it about GNR that people are defending? Their run in later 80’s/early 90s was obviously amazing - hands down, the biggest band in the world at that time. Axl was a great front man/showman. I am surprised so much disdain for the Foo in this thread. It made me wonder, what is the GNR draw now? No one is attacking their legacy, so what is it?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

They are not bad at all. Just as vanilla as rock can get. I like some edge to music. And Dave Grohl is a much better drummer than singer/guitarist. He is a good song writer, though.

• Like 2

Whilst I find most of the music bland and pedestrian, the hits have endured. There’s no denying cuts like ‘Times Like These’ or ‘My Hero’.

With regards to comparing them to GNR… Dave Grohl has always been an absolute content warrior. He’s consistently churned out documentaries, interviews, podcast appearances, albums… comparing any act to Dave would be unfair. I’ve seen World War II documentaries where Dave Grohl pops in to give his version of events. He’s mad for it. 

Sadly, for me, I think Taylor was the spark in the Foos I was most drawn too. His Coattail Riders album was far more interesting to me than anything Dave has ever done. It pulls from Queen, Van Halen, The Police, Supertramp, Jane’s Addiction… it’s just far more experimental and nuanced (and up my street) than Foo Fighters. He had a lot more opportunity to groove and stretch out musically. A real loss.

Josh Freese is a miraculous musician. He’s pretty much the Jeff Porcaro of Gen X - someone who is not only technically superb, but also has tremendous taste, feel, and has had his fingerprints all over some of the biggest pop/rock hits (and tours) of the 90s and 00s. Is that conducive to the ‘live for the band die for the band’ camaraderie the Foo Fighters pride themselves on? I know they’ve always had side projects but Josh is a bonafide hired gun… who knows. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Trin9498 said:

At this point, what is it about GNR that people are defending? Their run in later 80’s/early 90s was obviously amazing - hands down, the biggest band in the world at that time. Axl was a great front man/showman. I am surprised so much disdain for the Foo in this thread. It made me wonder, what is the GNR draw now? No one is attacking their legacy, so what is it?

Jealously of other bands that produce decent albums and have a more productive output? Giving their fans more. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m sure as hell jealous but I won’t needlessly hate because of it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trin9498 said:

Nostalgia I think. Surely that's the draw now? Even if people say "to go and have a good time"- the reasons for that have to be nostalgia, as they're just playing old songs  ot as well as they used to. 

Without moving themselves on, what else is there? 

Foo Fighters aren't a nostalgia act, GNR are. That's about what it boils down to really. 

5 hours ago, thunderram said:

Worse than mediocre are fans (allegedly) like you frequenting a site dedicated to the band you deem to be "mediocre" and incessantly bitching, whining and complaining about the same effing things, day in and day out.

I'd refer to it as "pathetic" but there really isn't a word strong enough to describe it.

I'd suggest "doing something more worthwhile with your time" than visiting this site if you are so disenchanted with GN'R but we know that ain't gonna happen. Your kind just lives to complain and shit on everything.

For the rest of us that actually likes or loves the band, I wish their weren't so effing many of you here polluting this site with negativity. And before some "smart guy" tries to point out that my reply here and to others on this same topic is negative -- you're right. You fight fire with fire, but the difference is I'm reactive and not proactive with the negativity.

People just need to be called out for their hypocritical BS. I don't frequent sites of things I detest or mostly have negative feelings toward. Unfortunately that's not the norm here at this site. And that's the only true "deception" going on.

So, Mr thundercat

I've been around for over 14 years, and I can see silly fans like you, happy to see a band that doesn't release anything and shit on their fans' heads. You don't have to describe me, describe yourself

Edited by TheSlashrose
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never been a fan of the FF. Wasting Light was an album I could listen to from start to finish and I caught them live during that tour. They played Tom Sawyer, War Pigs and Detroit Rock City. It was awesome. Since then, I think I enjoyed a few singles now and then: Sky is a Neighbourhood, Wheels, Congregation. That Medicine At Midnight album was unbearable, however. Listened to it once and never played a since track off of it again. And probably never will :lol:

The Dream Widow album was good, though.

Haven't taken the time to listen to their new singles but I got like zero hype for it, tbh.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah I was surprised about that too. For my taste I'd say Foo Fighters is probably the best active rock band out there currently. Of course that says more about the state of rock music than it does about the quality of Foo Fighters. The band hasn't released anything that great in a while, but at least they still release music and the music is fine. Not great but fine. That's more than I can say about almost any current band.

Josh Freese is probably my favorite drummer out of everyone who's been involved with GNR, so it will be interesting to see what he will do with Foo Fighters. I'm sure that they still have some bangers left in them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Yeah I was surprised about that too. For my taste I'd say Foo Fighters is probably the best active rock band out there currently. Of course that says more about the state of rock music than it does about the quality of Foo Fighters. The band hasn't released anything that great in a while, but at least they still release music and the music is fine. Not great but fine. That's more than I can say about almost any current band.

Josh Freese is probably my favorite drummer out of everyone who's been involved with GNR, so it will be interesting to see what he will do with Foo Fighters. I'm sure that they still have some bangers left in them.

I prefer my rock not sterile, I think QOTSA is a much "better" band and they are still active. I would like another Crooked Vultures record for sure. (with Dave behind the drum kit)

having said that, there are a bunch of Foo Fighters records I'm into. Wasting Light was the last one I really enjoyed from them. 

• Like 2

I grew up loving Foo. My opinion is pretty consistent with some here. 2005 and 2007 albums are where I kinda checked out since they’re fine at best. Wasting Light is a monster. Every album after that has maybe 1-2 songs that are pretty solid songs. Most are fine. I don’t want to rip my ears off or anything.

They’re not overly adventurous in the sense of The Beatles or anything, but they do what they do well. That’s okay. They’re not writing the same songs they wrote in 1997 still.

There’s very much an, “if I don’t love it, it sucks!” mentality on this forum. Feels like some of you should learn what, “not for me,” means.

• Like 3