Perhaps - August 18. UPDATE IV: A New Hope (Radio Premiere Tomorrow?)

It's a tough job for Slash. The CD era stuff certainly isn't his cup of tea. 

But he does make them sound more guitar driven and Guns N Roses. 

CD the song is a good example. Sounds so much more raw and ballsy with Slash playing that intro riff. 

From the rehearsal, I can already here that Perhaps has chunkier guitars going on. 

The intro to Better is a lot less cheesy and builds well. 

Absurd and Hardskool also sound much more Guns N Roses than the demos. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Better is the song that got me into Guns N' Roses, before that, I just lumped them into being an old classic rock band with several hits, but I was far from a fan. It was only after hearing CD leaks in 2007, when I took a strong look at them, and their back catalog. As far as Slash and Axl being the "GN'R sound" Not to me, but I understand that perspective as those two are the most iconic members. As much as I hate saying it, the unreleased CD songs have to be dumbed down to fit that perspective. 

In time, I expect CD to age like the Star Wars prequels. They were appreciated decades after they were available. 

Simplicity has been the key ingredient to great rock music for decades. 

There's a good reason why people consider Hendrix, Page and Clapton etc as great while Satriani, Vai and Buckethead can barely fill a theatre. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Don’t think ‘fluke’ is accurate. One could argue they shone brightly for a time and burnt out but that’s very different to a fluke which would be getting lucky with a few singles or something.

Yeah, fluke was the wrong word. My bad.  They are definitely talented, but I think the dynamic That made them great was totally lost without Izzy.

I don’t think any of their releases were anything special since UYI tbh

6 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Yeah, fluke was the wrong word. My bad.  They are definitely talented, but I think the dynamic That made them great was totally lost without Izzy.

I don’t think any of their releases were anything special since UYI tbh

I don't think it's Izzy although he did contribute.

Guns N Roses wrote the bulk of their material in the late 80s as a band. Hanging out together and writing together. 

After that, when success came, they stopped writing as a band. Axl had his material, Slash had his etc. 

To this day, Guns haven't written as a band since the late 80s. 

Some people don't see an issue with using one person's material with 98 vocals and drums and 2017 guitars and bass... But I always find it lacks something. 

Would love them to actually lock themselves into a studio for several weeks.  Ideally with Izzy and see what they can create. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

I don't think it's Izzy although he did contribute.

Guns N Roses wrote the bulk of their material in the late 80s as a band. Hanging out together and writing together. 

After that, when success came, they stopped writing as a band. Axl had his material, Slash had his etc. 

To this day, Guns haven't written as a band since the late 80s. 

Some people don't see an issue with using one person's material with 98 vocals and drums and 2017 guitars and bass... But I always find it lacks something. 

Would love them to actually lock themselves into a studio for several weeks.  Ideally with Izzy and see what they can create. 

Exactly.  I think if it were the original 5 in a studio, they could make something legendary in a month.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

CD does sound different but I think it’s an evolution that I deeply enjoy, and I don’t think we would’ve ever gotten there without the previous works. 

I think the only way CD could’ve been perceived as a masterpiece would have been if GNR disbanded and Axl released CD under his own name. It would have never been scrutinized nearly as much as it was. And the whole “this isn’t GNR” debate wouldn’t have mattered.

I read that many times...CD the evolved GNR sound. Sorry, but I have to disagree. CD is different music. Simple as that. It's Axl who evolved (in a good or in a bad way is up to the listener) but you can't replace Slash and Izzy with Bucket, Robin, Bumble, Fortus or any of those guitarists and pretend that's the evolved GNR sound. You can like it, love it, whatever,  but the music and style is totally different. It's blues based hardrock against... something else :lol:

Taking away the GNR name could help lowering the expectations but it wouldn't raise quality. For a masterpeace there're too many songs on CD that are lacking quality IMO.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Better is the song that got me into Guns N' Roses, before that, I just lumped them into being an old classic rock band with several hits, but I was far from a fan. It was only after hearing CD leaks in 2007, when I took a strong look at them, and their back catalog. As far as Slash and Axl being the "GN'R sound" Not to me, but I understand that perspective as those two are the most iconic members. As much as I hate saying it, the unreleased CD songs have to be dumbed down to fit that perspective. 

In time, I expect CD to age like the Star Wars prequels. They were appreciated decades after they were available. 

But that's the point and I have to respect that of course. You became a fan because of CD. Most others became a fan because of the classic rock thing. To them CD was a slap in the face. To me it surely was.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sweersa said:

In an amazing twist, what if the released version has a DJ Ashba solo?

Or, what if the week (or whatever) delay was because they accidentally submitted a mix with Bumblefoot? 😆 

I hope not, dj is the worst guitar player the band has ever had

Edited by Lelex95
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I read that many times...CD the evolved GNR sound. Sorry, but I have to disagree. CD is different music. Simple as that. It's Axl who evolved (in a good or in a bad way is up to the listener) but you can't replace Slash and Izzy with Bucket, Robin, Bumble, Fortus or any of those guitarists and pretend that's the evolved GNR sound. You can like it, love it, whatever,  but the music and style is totally different. It's blues based hardrock against... something else :lol:

Taking away the GNR name could help lowering the expectations but it wouldn't raise quality. For a masterpeace there're too many songs on CD that are lacking quality IMO.

Yeah I read several interviews from the mid 90s were it seems like the rest of the band were keen to get back to writing more straight forward rock music. 

Axl replaced that whole band and worked on his own material with lots of other musicians over several years. 

So you can't say that the band's sound evolved. 

Just that Axl took control and went in whatever direction he wanted which people are free to like.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It's not so much about mickey lines. I'm afraid that the chorus will be a mess the first time they play it :lol:

I can't understand a single word of what he's singing in the chorus. It really goes under in the leaked version, I hope they fix that in the final release.

Edited by TheGeneral
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, WillBailey said:

Links don't work anymore here (those in the first post).

First one just redirects to gnr.com and the second one displays a blank (well black background) page. Is it working for you guys ?

I get the same results, but they're likely doing work on the page while redirecting the Linkfire to the GNR website in the interim. Clearly the Perhaps announcement page wasn't finished when we picked up on it as the countdown was wrong and the Spotify pre-saves weren't working correctly.

• Like 1