Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

Just now, Sausagebrain said:

Yes, but you'd think that there would be an announcement that it was going to be released, and that it's been released to radio.

No, it's much cooler to not talk about anything you do. These guys are smart businessmen! 

Let's see what they do tomorrow, but I kinda expect them to release it to streaming services without any statement, not have a video ready... And maybe tomorrow or the day after the band members will share it. Hoping for a proper video, that isn't animated or a lyric video. That would be jaw dropping at this stage.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

This probably could have done with a visible statement from the band😄 Also... Why US only? Very peculiar, does any band do it that way? 

I assume the gesture towards radio in the US is because they’re hoping they can help them promote the numerous upcoming dates that have very sluggish sales. 

1 minute ago, Martin Riggs said:

I assume the gesture towards radio in the US is because they’re hoping they can help them promote the numerous upcoming dates that have very sluggish sales. 

Yeah, it's interesting that this has a little more push than Absurd and Hard Skool. It's giving borderline "uh oh" energy, with regards to ticket sales.

So is there any indication that this song didn't originate pre-1996? Didn't Fortus say that there was some old stuff that they had? Maybe it isn't a lie that Slash and Duff helped compose this way back when. Many thought HS may have been that old but there was no mention of it like there is for Perhaps.

2 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

The owner of iheartradio also has a controlling stake in LiveNation 

If these songs are being released to fulfill promo obligations for their Live Nation tour, they could have also been asked to debut the song with their partner as part of it 

Essentially they get one day to drive traffic from the fanbase. It’s all connected  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

So is there any indication that this song didn't originate pre-1996? Didn't Fortus say that there was some old stuff that they had? Maybe it isn't a lie that Slash and Duff helped compose this way back when. Many thought HS may have been that old but there was no mention of it like there is for Perhaps.

Slash implied that Hard Skool is a bit older than all the other songs they worked on.

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Slash implied that Hard Skool is a bit older than all the other songs they worked on.

Unless the press release quoted on Audacy is true regarding the "recorded this year" bit: maybe Perhaps was not among the songs that were re-recorded during Covid, but more recently.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

She replaced whatever Pitman had played, I suppose. Tbh I hadn't noticed any keyboards on HS either until people pointed out that there is actually a keyboard playing in the background.

Not to be an asshole or anything, but I feel this way about most Guns N' Roses songs played live. If Melissa wasn't singing background vocals, I probably wouldn't even notice her. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

No, it's much cooler to not talk about anything you do. These guys are smart businessmen! 

Let's see what they do tomorrow, but I kinda expect them to release it to streaming services without any statement, not have a video ready... And maybe tomorrow or the day after the band members will share it. Hoping for a proper video, that isn't animated or a lyric video. That would be jaw dropping at this stage.

Anything other than a live montage video would just be weird. They’re all over the hill. Is Axl going to be with a super model and Slash playing the poker machine at the rainbow?  Although you know Fernando and Beta would be in it so I guess it would be comical in that regard. Fernando can jump through a wedding cake

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A lot of bands have a keyboard - if not live, then certainly in the studio as a pad to fill out the sound. It's often subtle and low in the mix, but it's there more often than you'd think. The idea is to not stick out.

Not sure how much it helps live, though. Her main function live seems to be hitting high harmonies or filling out Axl's voice.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, diablo9333 said:

Not to be an asshole or anything, but I feel this way about most Guns N' Roses songs played live. If Melissa wasn't singing background vocals, I probably wouldn't even notice her. 

There are songs in the set where she doesn't do anything other than backing vocals and others, especially CD songs, where she does various keyboard work.

On Reckless Life, for example, both Dizzy and her just play tambourine.

• Like 1