Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

33 minutes ago, History2010 said:

Yeah. Comparing it to November Rain was a bad choice and when combined with 18 years of positive comments from band members and collaborators, it set the expectations way too high. There was a feeling that Atlas was going to be better than the songs on Chinese because it was being saved for the sequel. But I would say the demo of  Atlas is of equal or slightly lesser quality than most of the songs that made it on Chinese Democracy. 

I'd say it'd be a top 5 song on CD. It would have been the obvious single with Better. No idea why they went CD and Street of dreams as singles. Better and Atlas were the two. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I really just want The General because it’s basically all new to us. Yeah there’s the shitty cell phone clip and Evaders thing but to me I don’t get a good feel for the song at all.

Is the Evader thing still available somewhere? I’ve never heard it. 

1 minute ago, megaguns1982 said:

So the upshot of it all is that once ticket sales lag, they drop a song in hopes of selling more tickets?

y’all need to stop buying tickets

Yup, that’s why we got nothing in Europe. Us crazy ass fukkaz buy tix no matter what 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Just now, JimiRose said:

I'd say it'd be a top 5 song on CD. It would have been the obvious single with Better. No idea why they went CD and Street of dreams as singles. Better and Atlas were the two. 

At the very least they could have dropped Scraped and replaced it with Atlas. That would have improved the album. I think others on here have said before that if they trimmed out the 1:00 intro on Chinese Democracy and the 35 second intro on Riad then they could have fit Atlas within the CD's time limits as they were attempting to do. 

36 minutes ago, History2010 said:

Yeah. Comparing it to November Rain was a bad choice and when combined with 18 years of positive comments from band members and collaborators, it set the expectations way too high. There was a feeling that Atlas was going to be better than the songs on Chinese because it was being saved for the sequel. But I would say the demo of  Atlas is of equal or slightly lesser quality than most of the songs that made it on Chinese Democracy. 

I think its worse than most of CD other than Scraped, Riad and TIL. Maybe in level with Sorry. Nowhere near songs like TWAT, CITR, Better, IRS and Prostitute

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Slash implied that Hard Skool is a bit older than all the other songs they worked on.

He said it had a "history" which I think would attach him in some way perhaps...

1 hour ago, Coma16 said:

So is there any indication that this song didn't originate pre-1996? Didn't Fortus say that there was some old stuff that they had? Maybe it isn't a lie that Slash and Duff helped compose this way back when. Many thought HS may have been that old but there was no mention of it like there is for Perhaps.

Only if Ax goes 6 feet under before Slash will we be able to get a lot of these answers....need a massive longform bloody interview !! So many Q's!

12 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

So the upshot of it all is that once ticket sales lag, they drop a song in hopes of selling more tickets?

y’all need to stop buying tickets

Perhaps isn't going to sell tickets.  Most of the casual audience isn't interested in new music from GnR. There was a dude at the concert the other night who didn't realize they played SCOM.

Guns have a huge audience and people are going to go to the shows and have a good time whether they release these tracks or not 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, History2010 said:

At the very least they could have dropped Scraped and replaced it with Atlas. That would have improved the album. I think others on here have said before that if they trimmed out the 1:00 intro on Chinese Democracy and the 35 second intro on Riad then they could have fit Atlas within the CD's time limits as they were attempting to do. 

Riad is the worst song on there, that could just go full stop for atlas!

1 hour ago, jekylhyde said:

It's part of her job. Especially live. To make the band sound fuller without sticking out. :book:

Out of reactions, but exactly this.

You're not supposed to notice she's there, but you'd definitely notice if she wasn't there

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SL138 said:

I can listen to it on Spotify in the UK

Is your account in the UK? Because if you're from another country where it has become available, it's available to you regardless of where you are at the moment.

It's past midnight in Greece, so finally available for me :)

Edited by Blackstar

Love the song. But then again, I've loved everything this band has done. My ears are just wired that way I guess. I can listen to any album and not skip a single song. I see people saying they should've swapped out certain songs on CD with this one or that one. But, if Axl's initial plan was to release 2 or 3 albums in a short time, it wouldn't matter. I guess what I'm saying is that making CD better wouldn't have mattered, if they really planned to release all of it after a few years, because most fans would've looked at it as a double or triple album anyway. I assume he wanted to release everything they had at one point and plans fell through. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Perhaps isn't going to sell tickets.  Most of the casual audience isn't interested in new music from GnR. There was a dude at the concert the other night who didn't realize they played SCOM.

Guns have a huge audience and people are going to go to the shows and have a good time whether they release these tracks or not 

The song itself doesn’t sell tickets. The majority of people don’t want to hear it at a concert 

What sells tickets is the coverage of the song/mentioning the band and the news cycle it generates. That will happen once it’s available 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Is your account in the UK? Because if you're from another country where it has become available, it's available to you regardless of where you are at the moment.

It's past midnight in Greece, so finally available for me :)

ah true.. my account is in Turkey :D anyway you can pop down to my house to listen :P

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, History2010 said:

I am convinced that releasing an albums worth of singles instead of an actual album is a technique to avoid the expectations and scrutiny that comes with a full album release. Dr. Dre used this same technique when he released 6 singles at the same time last year instead of bundling them together as an EP or album. He was able to release new music without having to face the expectations that come with the idea of a "new Dr. Dre project". Seems Axl is following a similar idea but he is leaving long gaps between the release of the singles. 

Good name drop there....nowhere near on the same scale but Dr has a bit of a problem getting music out there too, hasn't he....that's just his own not for others! Did Detox every fully find its way? I stopped following that story years ago, last I heard, Snoop had entered the building and was gonna liberate it any moment, ha!