Atlas Shrugged (November Release?)

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I doubt it ever got an overhaul like Silkworms did. Maybe more like SOD or TWAT where they added some parts, but both of those songs were overcooked by the time CD came out. I can't imagine an extra 15 years of tinkering made the song better and I doubt Slash will have a solo/tone that fits the song as well as Brian's.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but I expect whatever version of Atlas that gets released will still just be mediocre.

Why exactly? They completely changed Hard Skool and stripped it off multiple parts and replaced them with other ones, didn't they? Don't see why one would expect them not to do that on other songs.

And considering how fucking bad it IMO is there's no way Slash and Duff want to be putting out a turd like that. They made Silkworms listenable to me. But they destroyed Hard School lol, so it can go either way.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

12 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Why exactly? They completely changed Hard Skool and stripped it off multiple parts and replaced them with other ones, didn't they? Don't see why one would expect them not to do that on other songs.

And considering how fucking bad it IMO is there's no way Slash and Duff want to be putting out a turd like that. They made Silkworms listenable to me. But they destroyed Hard School lol, so it can go either way.

I wouldn't say they 'completely changed' Hard Skool. The intro could've been shorted years before Slash and Duff even re-joined, since they used the old drum track. Like the other singles, Slash plays the riffs his way, but the basic structure is the same. Absurd and Perhaps are basically the same as the CD demos with Slash playing slightly different parts (Absurd leaked about a year before the Village sessions, I'm not talking about Silkworms).

Atlas will probably be the same. Maybe I'm wrong and it did get an overhaul 15-20 years ago, but going by the other singles there's no reason to think the Slash/Duff version will have drastic changes...

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I wouldn't say they 'completely changed' Hard Skool. The intro could've been shorted years before Slash and Duff even re-joined, since they used the old drum track. Like the other singles, Slash plays the riffs his way, but the basic structure is the same. Absurd and Perhaps are basically the same as the CD demos with Slash playing slightly different parts (Absurd leaked about a year before the Village sessions, I'm not talking about Silkworms).

Atlas will probably be the same. Maybe I'm wrong and it did get an overhaul 15-20 years ago, but going by the other singles there's no reason to think the Slash/Duff version will have drastic changes...

I think that new HS intro is actually definitely a Duff thing, it sounds distinctly like something he would come up with, like Its So Easy, Sucker Train Blues, for example. The entire original intro was in my opinion kept until 2020 when removed by the Slash/Duff rework, and the entire guitar solo section was replaced with a new one too.

And to be fair, I don't think Slash and Duff were ever presented the version of HS with the Josh Freese drums. I don't think they ever heard it..because there is absolutely no way they would have taken the one they ended up with. It's the only explanation that makes any sense to me.

-

But yeah we can speculate for months as to why one song would be reworked and some not at all, I don't think it really works what we are doing right now: to assume things by what was done earlier (the 3 songs we got), because every single song is different. Some need more work done, some don't, every song is different so how does it make sense to go by what was done to other songs?

I mean if they worked on say 6 songs, maybe they seriously reworked 2 and kept 4 the same because they thought it sounded fine, and they just so happen to release 3 songs first that weren't reworked, we would assume none of them had a real rework when infact there would be 2, if that makes sense.

I'm just going by that I think Atlas is just bad, REALLY bad, and that's why a rework is likely, I would expect it more than I would be ruling it out. Maybe they've done more than you think, kept Brian Mays solo, extend the song by adding another solo section for Slash, there are many ways to make it better that wouldn't be too difficult.

• Like 1

I disagree with regards to Hard Skool. I heard the Village Leaks like everyone else, and I thought “wow, the chorus is pretty damn good, the verses aren’t bad either, but man this is the most soulless track I’ve ever heard.” Suddenly with Duff and Slash, it sounded like something I actually liked. It had character.

However…

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I'm just going by that I think Atlas is just bad, REALLY bad,

…I totally agree. This song is a flaming pile of shit. But…

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

that's why a rework is likely, I would expect it more than I would be ruling it out. Maybe they've done more than you think, kept Brian Mays solo, extend the song by adding another solo section for Slash, there are many ways to make it better that wouldn't be too difficult.

…I dunno. I love Slash and I love Duff, but I don’t think there’s any saving Atlas Shrugged. The bones of the song are bad - annoyingly ‘happy’ sounding melody, like some 1997 light alternative rock. I hated Semi-Charmed Life when I heard it back then and I damn sure don’t need to hear Axl try to do his rendition of it.

Now, all that said, if releasing Atlas Shrugged is what they need to do in order to finally move on to something *new* then, by all means, film the fucking video, set a release date, push it back, accidentally release it to Limewire or some shit, then release it officially and let’s try and move forward.

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1
  • PERHAPS 1

57 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

However…

…I totally agree. This song is a flaming pile of shit. But…

…I dunno. I love Slash and I love Duff, but I don’t think there’s any saving Atlas Shrugged. The bones of the song are bad - annoyingly ‘happy’ sounding melody, like some 1997 light alternative rock. I hated Semi-Charmed Life when I heard it back then and I damn sure don’t need to hear Axl try to do his rendition of it.

Now, all that said, if releasing Atlas Shrugged is what they need to do in order to finally move on to something *new* then, by all means, film the fucking video, set a release date, push it back, accidentally release it to Limewire or some shit, then release it officially and let’s try and move forward.

I'll say..I kind of subscribe to your "Atlas Shrugged can't be saved" mentality here lol, I don't expect them to make it "good" at all, I don't exactly look forward to them releasing it, but it's better than not getting it. Atleast have them TRY to make it a good song..which to me would mean rework it big time, and that's not out of the realm of reality, atleast for me, for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

However not even the worst filler track on an SMKC album was as plodding and boring as this one, so I have faith in Slash coming up with some redeeming parts for it, he simply doesn't release turds like this upon the world, with his name attached to it. Maybe in a bathroom, but not as a new Guns N Roses single.

19 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I think this is just a case of fake leaks run amok. It was that 4chan/reddit 'leak' that first suggested that Perhaps was pulled, that The General had a failed movie negotiation and that Atlas has a November release. 

1) Perhaps wasn't pulled or up in the air.

2) There is no evidence that The General had a failed movie negotiation.

3) There is no evidence for an imminent release of Atlas Shrugged - unlike the info we had for Perhaps and The General leading up to the recent news. Likewise, if Atlas were to be released in November, it would make no sense not to include it on any LP alongside Perhaps/The General, unless they had more plans for new music this year. If that were the case, then it wouldn't make sense to schedule its release so soon after October's release.

Here's the alleged leak: https://boards.4channel.org/mu/thread/117759348/guns-n-roses-plans

Sounds like something axl would do tbh

18 hours ago, Blackstar said:

If another song was going to be released this year, it's safe to say that there would be another physical release, like an 7', and so another "b-side". That would be four songs, which is highly unrealistic and too much to expect from GN'R.

too much to expect a music band to release music. Oh GnR how you have destroyed our souls

4 hours ago, slash23579 said:

i love Atlas Shrugged. It was my favorite of the leaks in 2019 and still my favorite now. I listen to it pretty often. Can’t wait to hear it on an official release if it happens

Atlas is the most radio friendly and best full song leaked from the village demos. Can it be improved? Yeah the sound is dull, it's obviously been mixed and not mastered. i think the first two choruses should have a bit more drama (though i like how they build into the big outro chorus) keep the may solo and if anything maybe add a slash intro solo over the melotron bit (not an in your face but a little extra) 

57 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Atlas is the most radio friendly and best full song leaked from the village demos. Can it be improved? Yeah the sound is dull, it's obviously been mixed and not mastered. i think the first two choruses should have a bit more drama (though i like how they build into the big outro chorus) keep the may solo and if anything maybe add a slash intro solo over the melotron bit (not an in your face but a little extra) 

Both mixes on the locker discs are interesting.

The latter mix that drops the extra guitar parts out at around 1.25 for the "I'd be the last to say..." part is pretty solid. The drums are grandiose and the acoustic helps flesh it out. Sounds like it was a perfect vehicle for RTB to Queen it up, as it were. 

The earlier mix is a bit cluttered. God knows how many versions and mixes there have been over the years. 

Brian's solo is much better mixed on the RTB version. Quel surprise!

If an Atlas single is coming out at some point in time Im currently more interested on the B-side, Atlas did nothing for me. 

Unless it is completely revamped by the current band, which I dont think its going to happen.

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Cosmo said:

I somewhat agree here. I love the song up until the key change at around 1min. Kinda kills the vibe, for me. The "I'll be the last..." chorus is pretty cool but that section right before kinda messes it up for me. I'd love it if they somehow changed this particular part.

I was thinking... and this is a problem in many of Axl's CD-era songs, IMO. He sings in every single second of each song. There's no breathers in between song sections. Sometimes, like in CITR, it's not only that there's vocals in every fucking second up until the solo, the vocals even overlap, making live renditions feel kinda strange. This also happened in Perhaps, where the chorus had like a million vocal lines on top of each other (though they kinda fixed that in the re-recorded version).

And the no-room-to-breathe thing happens in almost every CD song, except maybe for Sorry and TIL. It wasn't like that with older GnR songs. Atlas Shrugged has the same "problem" and it really bothers me because that pre-chorus segment with the key change feels strange, especially when there's just no instrumental transition for the key change. It's like one second between the end of the verse vocal line and the pre-chorus vocal line. Just put a Slash guitar lick there. It will make the song flow a lot better, it will give Axl time to breath in between song sections and it will feel a lot more like classic GnR.

• GNFNR 1

13 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

image.png

edit: just to be clear I still don't think Atlas is coming in November but figured this should be posted here.

If this is true, they probably are releasing everything they recorded during the lockdown and Atlas is the last song, that means no Soul Monster, Seven, Oklahoma...😔

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1

20 hours ago, Coma16 said:

Absurd, HardSkool, Perhaps, The General, Atlas, Going Down (doubt this will be in contention), OMG, and a bunch of Chinese remixes.

I’d say Soul Monster is very possible since he said it has vocals. Oklahoma/Berlin, Quicksong, and Zodiac13 may be possible, too. 

I can dream!

4 minutes ago, Atlas19 said:

Just saw this on Reddit.... maybe fake.... but here is the link. Judge by yourselves...

Lol

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

Just saw this on Reddit.... maybe fake.... but here is the link. Judge by yourselves...

Likely nonsense but hopefully not.

I just hope they work on some longer songs. Breakdown, Locomotive, Coma, Twat etc were always some of my favourites and an entire album full of 4 min songs doesn’t feel like Guns.

5 minutes ago, Atlas19 said:

Thre's album title, release date, artwork and tracklist

Anything posted to 4Chan shouldn’t be taken seriously.

The recent “insiders” have been extremely inconsistent with their details. The guy on Twitter said no new album. This guy says album. Multiple posts, including this one, have the AI generated artwork which is fake. All this boils down to is there’s people who think trolling fans is funny after the Perhaps meltdown, where shortly after people started posting BS like that horrible “The General” photoshop and saying dumb stuff like Axl cancelled Perhaps for the writers strike.

• Like 1

Lol, it became an album now? "This grave" (apparently they got that from a line an "insider" claimed is from an unreleased song"). :lol:

These troll posts are not clever in the slightest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You can tell it's BS because:

1) GNR won't put out an album, no matter how many people are trying to convince themselves that one is coming, and;

2) It wouldn't release on the 23rd anyway. It's a Thursday. At least pick the next day (the 24th) to make it somewhat believable.

• Like 2

I will be very happy to be wrong but there's no new album coming. Guns are gonna continue the current release strategy, and they just released Perhaps and we are getting The General, so I see no reason to expect anything else before next year if at all.

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

So funny I watched RIR 3 on YouTube last night and it’s funny how much I’ve grown to appreciate Silkworms from what I thought back then was an unlistenable piece of garbage, I enjoy the Bitch like you chorus better then the repeating of Absurd and the new version, but I way prefer what Slash and Duff did changing it to less Techno and more rock. Also “The Blues” at that concert best version of any SOD 

• Like 2