If the AFD5 Reunites, Will it Get Renewed Interest Concert Wise?

I could see like a one-off when they're close to retirement - maybe like a Madison Square Garden show or a big festival like Coachella. One last big payday to collect. These guys are motivated solely by money these days and if someone thinks reuniting AFD 5 is worth it, they will pay for it. Unlikely perhaps, but there's a chance.

• PERHAPS 1

20 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

No, and I'm surprised some people still think an AFD5 tour is some kind of ace up their sleeve.

The reunion that the general public cared about was always just Axl and Slash. Bringing back more classic members wouldn't make much of a difference in a stadium setting.

It would never, ever recapture what they did 30+ years ago. They wouldn't be doing the legacy justice, it would be their most blatant cash-grab attempt. I would probably actually lose respect for Izzy and Steven if they came back now. And there's a very good chance that Richard, Dizzy and Melissa would remain in the band anyway.

This. Hardcores know Izzy and Steven. I'm not sure Duff is even that much in the mainstream eye. The feud was Axl and Slash, that's the reunion everyone wanted, they got it, and the bloom is now off the rose. Maybe a great new record could goose sales a bit? But mostly I think they need to just get out of stadiums, back into arenas, lower their ticket prices, and accept their status as a touring oldies act.

It definitely would I feel - look at the insane hype over Roger Waters coming back to Floyd for Live 8 or the buzz when Christine McVie came back to Fleetwood Mac. The Zeppelin reunion was also a much bigger deal than the Page/Plant stuff. Personally I'd have been much more excited by the reunion in 2016 if it had been a proper return to past lineup so it felt like like a full-on reunion rather than Slash joining NuGuns. Even if it had been Matt and Gilby as Steven and Izzy never seemed like it was properly likely it would have been more exciting (no disrespect to Richard and Frank intended - big fan of both of them). My view in 2016 was that I'd had my fill of seeing Axl singing those songs by that point and whilst adding Slash and Duff into the mix was fun, I didn't think it was worth the price of tickets. If there had been the added novelty of other past members I'd probably have caved in spite of the prices. Axl/DC was more exciting to me that year because it was a chance to hear Axl sing different material (and ticket prices were cheaper than Guns). Regret not going then to be honest though as going to shows is harder now for health reasons. 

That being said, fast forward to now and I'm happy with how things have gone. One of the reasons for my lack of enthusiasm for the reunion was I thought that was the final nail in the coffin re the Chinese leftovers and yet we'll have had four songs by the end of the year. Hoping I get a chance to see the band next time they come to the UK. 

Edited by Seb91
  • GNFNR 1

No. Not unless there's a crazy shift in promotional tactics, and even then, just that – not a return of Izzy and Adler – wouldn't necessarily change a lot.

They had their chance, they took it with Slash coming back. He – or rather the combination of Axl and Slash – is all anyone ever cared about.

Izzy and Steven aren't changing anything. If anything, the overall quality of the shows would decrease if they came back.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

No, and it won’t sound any better.  This is the Guns n Roses lineup now & it’s a good one.

I liked every lineup but I prefer 4tus, Reese, and Dizzy in the GnR lineup.  I do miss Izzy and liked Adler’s sound, but Adler is a fool n a tool and doesn’t deserve to be in the band and I don’t want him in there.  

Loved Izzy but 4tus has been a better fit since the later 2000s since not much writing and he’s a better live performer than Izz.

The only roster members I didn’t really enjoy seeing in the band were Pittman, Tobias, Gilby, Sorum, Freese.  Yeah, I liked seeing Ashba in the band more than them lol.

And I don’t join the trend of criticizing Frank.  He’s fine.  Brain was the only impressive drummer but they were all good.

Side note:  i genuinely liked the last Motorhead lineup the best.  Rush could never be a band without Geddy, Alex, Neil.  

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

Sure it would.  Hits, airplay, hit albums draw crowds.  Were Gunners, Bon Jovi or U2 stadium bands before UYI's, Keep tthe faith, Actung Baby? No.

Does anyone really think HS/Absurd/Perhaps would have made it on any of the first 4 albums?

Izzy and Adler/Sorum would not only prevent them from writing such crap, but maybe even get them back on track with new YCBM or Paradise city, which would relaunch massiv airplay, album sales, ticket sales etc.

Finally, who here thinks people pay tickets to see Axl or HS/Absurd/CD/Wichita...? They come to see the songs off first 4 albums.  Let's be honest.

• Haha 4

I don't think so, and I don't think the general public is going to rush out for tickets any more so if they hear it's the original line up... A lot of them probably think they are currently seeing the original band 😅

In my mind the only thing that changes sales dramatically is Axls voice getting really good again in the weak areas. Or a new album with insanely great promotion and a great single. Or a new tour that has a spectacle factor attached to it, compared to the bare bones touring they've been doing since 2019. Or they take a year or so away and let people naturally miss them... unfortunately that last option means Axl not singing for a year or so and that's not good for anyone.

It would get a little buzz but I am guessing it would only lead to maybe a 5-10% increase in ticket sales, the real reunion was Slash and Axl, most people have no idea or care who Izzy and Steven are and if they do they are likely seeing GNR already without them

Edited by k12
  • Like 1

The sales really aren't that bad (or bad at all). They look empty for a few weeks but that's the new way of selling tickets. For promoters, it's no longer about attaining an immediate sell out, it's about getting as much money as possible up top from the die hards (us) and then filling it in as it goes by lowering prices on certain sections, little marketing pushes, hell, I've even seen Groupons offered for shows. Through all this, plus everything else fans get gouged on, people make their money and tickets get sold. 

I don't fully get the details of how it works yet but I know that's the new model. See: dynamic pricing.

Most of the last stadium shows I went to looked half empty on TicketMaster in the weeks leading up to it and then at showtime they're at 90% capacity. 

Musing on it some more, I think the question is would the band actually gain all that much if Steven and Izzy were to rejoin? Izzy's stated that he didn't take part due to how the money was divided and being members of the classic lineup, Izzy and Steven would expect to be paid more than Frank and Richard. The band can play huge venues without them and whilst it would create more buzz and boost sales there probably wouldn't be a net gain to the current main three.

It's why I figured Bill and Mick Taylor weren't more involved with the Stones 50th - Bill was annoyed at how little he played and turned down the opportunity to do a regular spot like Taylor did on tour. What's interesting is that Keith did an interview where he gushed about the opportunities of having three guitar players and being able to change the arrangements to being more like the records but the tour rolled around and Taylor was still mainly just doing Midnight Rambler. My guess is someone in the band didn't like the idea of reincorporating the old guys back in properly because then eventually questions over money would come up and they didn't need them in terms of ticket sales. I guess it's probably the same with Guns. Plus, GN'R is still very much Axl's baby and this in real terms is a continuation of the band rather than a reboot, getting the old band back together completely would change that. If there was any desire to do a full reunion, I imagine Gilby at Matt would be involved. 

Edited by Seb91

5 hours ago, Seb91 said:

The Zeppelin reunion was also a much bigger deal than the Page/Plant stuff.

Speaking of all that, have you seen the JCM Led Zeppelin Stories channel on YouTube about those shows? If not, I highly recommend it if you are Zep fan. He does a phenomenal job. I really wish someone would do a GNR channel just like that one with such attention to detail. Imagine if Chinese Whispers were a lengthy video series. Now THAT I would pay for. 

• Like 1

This being said, I really do think in 2027 for the 40th anniversary of Appetite we are going to see a reunion/tour of some sort assuming everyone is healthy, wouldn't surprise me to see them play the whole album straight through among other songs as other bands have done

Edited by k12

28 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

The sales really aren't that bad (or bad at all). They look empty for a few weeks but that's the new way of selling tickets. For promoters, it's no longer about attaining an immediate sell out, it's about getting as much money as possible up top from the die hards (us) and then filling it in as it goes by lowering prices on certain sections, little marketing pushes, hell, I've even seen Groupons offered for shows. Through all this, plus everything else fans get gouged on, people make their money and tickets get sold. 

I don't fully get the details of how it works yet but I know that's the new model. See: dynamic pricing.

Most of the last stadium shows I went to looked half empty on TicketMaster in the weeks leading up to it and then at showtime they're at 90% capacity. 

In demand shows don’t have highly reduced ticket prices or tickets basically given away. The prices would actually be considerably higher than face value. Not saying these shows haven’t ended up with decent attendance, but a lot of money was left on the table to get there.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2023 at 7:01 PM, DTV88 said:

I’m not sure Steven could pull off a full tour, but having the 5 musicians that created AFD and Lies on a stage together again would bring closure to a lot of us older fans 

This right here. "PPV" (i.e. streaming) Event + bd/cd for a couple AFD 5 NYE shows in LA or London or something...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankfurt93 said:

Sure it would.  Hits, airplay, hit albums draw crowds.  Were Gunners, Bon Jovi or U2 stadium bands before UYI's

And they haven't released a 'hit' since then, plus not only is half that lineup gone, but that one even changed during the UYI tour.

Steven and Izzy aren't changing anything, you're even saying that yourself – they've remained a stadium band despite lineup changes and a lack of new material. They clearly don't need certain people to keep the band operating at that level.

5 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

Sure it would.  Hits, airplay, hit albums draw crowds.  Were Gunners, Bon Jovi or U2 stadium bands before UYI's, Keep tthe faith, Actung Baby? No.

Does anyone really think HS/Absurd/Perhaps would have made it on any of the first 4 albums?

Izzy and Adler/Sorum would not only prevent them from writing such crap, but maybe even get them back on track with new YCBM or Paradise city, which would relaunch massiv airplay, album sales, ticket sales etc.

Finally, who here thinks people pay tickets to see Axl or HS/Absurd/CD/Wichita...? They come to see the songs off first 4 albums.  Let's be honest.

Bro...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

In demand shows don’t have highly reduced ticket prices or tickets basically given away. The prices would actually be considerably higher than face value. Not saying these shows haven’t ended up with decent attendance, but a lot of money was left on the table to get there.

For sure, my overall point is just that it's not the doom-and-gloom scenario people are often speculating it is. There's a lot more strategy to it than we may realize.