If the AFD5 Reunites, Will it Get Renewed Interest Concert Wise?

I have been reading the shows are not sold out recently, so just wondering, will an AFD reunion suddenly sell out arenas and stadiums?

Or people(other than us crazies) don't know or care enough about Izzy and Adler?

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, Perhaps mods can delete this thread if so.

• PERHAPS 2

Axl, Slash and to a degree Duff are really all most casual fans and ticket buyers know and care about. Hell cos he's been there for 33 years straight probably more people know Dizzy than Izzy n Steven. 

I have no doubt that if they did marketed it right it might sell a few more tickets in the short term. I don't see it happening tho. 

6 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

AFD5 reunion wont boost ticket sales, reasonable ticket prices and a decent new album with proper promotion will.

Seconded. If they are really worried about ticket sales then lower the prices and you'll see the venues filled to capacity. There's a lot of potential ticket buyers who take one look at the prices and change their mind. 

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

No, and I'm surprised some people still think an AFD5 tour is some kind of ace up their sleeve.

The reunion that the general public cared about was always just Axl and Slash. Bringing back more classic members wouldn't make much of a difference in a stadium setting.

It would never, ever recapture what they did 30+ years ago. They wouldn't be doing the legacy justice, it would be their most blatant cash-grab attempt. I would probably actually lose respect for Izzy and Steven if they came back now. And there's a very good chance that Richard, Dizzy and Melissa would remain in the band anyway.

The NITL tour is effectively the reunion for a lot of people because let's face it, for them Guns N' Roses has always been Axl and Slash.

It would generate some buzz but I feel like it would have only been huge after the initial few years of the NITL tour and not after 7 years of seeing Axl, Slash, and to a lesser extent Duff.

If they marketed a limited tour where they played Appetite for Destruction in its entirety along with UYI songs I could see it hooking older fans who could care less about Chinese Democracy.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mystery said:

The NITL tour is effectively the reunion for a lot of people because let's face it, for them Guns N' Roses has always been Axl and Slash.

It would generate some buzz but I feel like it would have only been huge after the initial few years of the NITL tour and not after 7 years of seeing Axl, Slash, and to a lesser extent Duff.

If they marketed a limited tour where they played Appetite for Destruction in its entirety along with UYI songs I could see it hooking older fans who could care less about Chinese Democracy.

If they did a one-off farewell show, it could be huge. Like GNR's version of Celebration Day. But for a few more years of stadium/arena tours, the lineup doesn't really matter aside from Axl and Slash.

• Like 2

I am sure it would draw out maybe quite a few people who have always liked GNR and known a thing or two about them, but in terms of filling up these huge venues compared to now, I am not sure. 

For the vast majority of folks there I doubt they even are aware that Richard Fortus isn't Izzy lol and will only notice the drummer when he is on the big screen for 2 seconds after Axl introduced him during the band introductions

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lost un the jungle said:

This! only hardcore fans know Steven and Izzy. At this point they wouldn't make a difference audience wise

Axl wasn't hounded for years by Izzy and Steven questions and chants like he was with Slash. I do think its a shame that they likely will never play live again but its remarkable that all 5 members of the classic lineup are still alive.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mystery said:

Axl wasn't hounded for years by Izzy and Steven questions and chants like he was with Slash. I do think its a shame that they likely will never play live again but its remarkable that all 5 members of the classic lineup are still alive.

at this point a full reunion makes no sense. The only thing that will not happen but can be valid is bringing Izzy back for a new album. But, if they are still releasing old ass material from 1999, I see almost impossible that new songs can be written.

To the meme "all I can offer is another year of touring" I would add "all I can offer is another SCOM with Carrie" or "all I can offer is another CD B-side"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The reunion that the general public cared about was always just Axl and Slash. Bringing back more classic members wouldn't make much of a difference in a stadium setting.

It would help in the early stages simply because of all the media attention it would initially receive. After that, same as it ever was.

Full blown reunions simply aren't required in today's culture. People just want something that looks like the real thing, go to a show, hear a few hits, hold their cell phones, take some selfies, and that's it.

A majority of the crowd think Ace and Peter are on stage with KISS even though they haven't been there in 20+ years. Foreigner is essentially a tribute band now using the name. Nobody cares. They still get to hear Hot Blooded and Waiting For A Girl Like You. Many Skid Row fans don't know Baz isn't in the band until the show is underway, and some of them probably still think it's him. List goes on and on.

• Like 2

Wouldn’t make a difference, it’s the top hatted one and Axl that people associate with GnR. Not to mention if they did some sort of AFD reunion, Axl would really need to pull his shit together vocal wise.

personally I’d love to see it. Maybe like a 30 date run accross the USA. Do a Blu ray of it with a lot of behind the scenes stuff, then bundle it with the perfect crime doco.

slash said that the main reason he made contact with Axl pre reunion was to do with all the UYI footage, which should have been released with the box set IMO, so odds are that stuff is buried forever, I can’t imagine looking at that footage 30 years later would be easy for any of them.

Edited by megaguns1982