If the AFD5 Reunites, Will it Get Renewed Interest Concert Wise?

If AFD5 happened, not only would it be an ultimate, open cash-grab, but it would also mean the end of any hopes for further band advancement, new releases etc. Even CD2 stuff couldn't really be expected from that band rendition. Some people still believe that if these 5 guys entered the stage, the 80s would magically come back, and it would look the same as when they were in their late 20s again. It wouldn’t happen that way, and some things are better left the way we remember them, as legends. Not only are they around their 60s already, but the 80s/90s are gone as well, and the music has shifted. Everything is yesterday’s news very quickly these days, buried under zillions of new TicToc videos and new radio hits from the likes of Miley Cyrus or whoever the hell. 
Let’s just be glad the three got together again and hope for any reasonable, sensible mixture of music they may release in the future. Yes, that includes theoretical revamped stuff from around 94–96, that would be cool. But AFD ended in 90/91... and let’s not dig up zombies. Do you remember how it turned out in King's "Pet Sematary"? Yeah, something like that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

On 8/27/2023 at 2:40 AM, megaguns1982 said:

Wouldn’t make a difference, it’s the top hatted one and Axl that people associate with GnR. Not to mention if they did some sort of AFD reunion, Axl would really need to pull his shit together vocal wise.

personally I’d love to see it. Maybe like a 30 date run accross the USA. Do a Blu ray of it with a lot of behind the scenes stuff, then bundle it with the perfect crime doco.

slash said that the main reason he made contact with Axl pre reunion was to do with all the UYI footage, which should have been released with the box set IMO, so odds are that stuff is buried forever, I can’t imagine looking at that footage 30 years later would be easy for any of them.

Where did slash say this? 

35 minutes ago, AxlIsGod. said:

Where did slash say this? 

I may have got confused, there’s a quote from an interview that slash did at one point where he says he had been in contact with GnR management checking that the UYI footage was intact and the possibility of releasing it.

this may have been the initial catalyst that started it all.

I think the actually half-decent promo job for ‘Perhaps’ is the final nail in the coffin for the ‘original 5’ dream. After 7 years this line up have finally established themselves as their own thing (even though it’s old material with Brain on drums), and no one’s going to be any rush to change that now there’s all this feel-good surrounding the band.

I doubt Izzy or Steven are physically capable of a tour like this anymore anyway. Stevens drumming is tired, and let’s not forget the whole reason he’s not invited in the first place - he’s a nightmare of a bloke who doesn’t play the game well. Izzy’s repertoire is limited to Appetite era, too. 

it’s a nice dream but bands are complicated organisms and it’s too far past the ‘reunion’ hype to warrant them giving it a second thought. There’s 2 criteria to fulfil to be in this band:

• be able to musically execute all 3 eras of GNR to a reasonable standard.

• shut up and play nice. 

Izzy could satisfy number 2 maybe. Steven - neither. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Stuck in the 1990. That's funny. I suppose any music fan that loves the Beatles or Hendrix is "stuck in the 60's", right? :facepalm:

I got some sad news for you. GN'R was a much, much, much better band back in 1990 than they are today. Even despite their various problems back then.

Enjoying a bands prime and most creative, best sounding era doesn't qualify anybody as stuck. You're the "crazy" one if you believe otherwise.

Not exactly a precise logic. This would apply if someone kept demanding the members to get together again and start touring under the Beatles name (as hard as it might be with just 2 of them left). Definitely not the same as just liking that old era. 

13 hours ago, jamillos said:

Some people still believe that if these 5 guys entered the stage, the 80s would magically come back, and it would look the same as when they were in their late 20s again.

I've never seen a single person say this. Most people who want an AFD reunion just want it as the final chapter of the band for closure. Full circle.

12 hours ago, thunderram said:

Stuck in the 1990. That's funny

What makes it funnier is the band is more stuck in the past than their fans.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lethalis said:

Slash and Duff are already back... Izzy and Steven won't make much of a difference to the general public.

I would like Izzy back as a songwriter though. This band needs more rock n roll.

Izzy could have a role similar to Brain"s. He could do something for them in the studio. Either songwriting or recording (or both). Richard could still be a member because he handles the touring routine much better than Iz nowadays (I think he had to recover for a whole month after the tour in 2006).

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 2

afd5 at this point would be for the hardcore fans. 

so If I were them I'd book a theater in Los Angeles, charge 2500 per ticket, no Pyro, minimal screens.  then I'd have a profession camera company come in and do a paper view event for the hardcore fans all over the world. they could probably charge 100 or 200 bucks for that.  

one and done show.  they'd be happy to make a ton of money (with minimal overhead) and the hardcore fans could be happy all over the world.  No having to rely on Izzy or Adler to make it thru a whole tour.  just one night.  

donating the proceeds to charity would be a very cool thing to do, but I don't see gnr doing that.  

Edited by Chester 524
  • Like 1

The AFD 5 would be the ultimate reunion in rock.

All five of them are alive and well.  It should be done and would be bigger than most of you think.  Steven is still capable and Izzy is a natural.

Bring it on.

• Wow 1

3 minutes ago, KURT19 said:

The AFD 5 would be the ultimate reunion in rock.

All five of them are alive and well.  It should be done and would be bigger than most of you think.  Steven is still capable and Izzy is a natural.

Bring it on.

This might've been true in 2016.

I love Steven's drumming but it seems like he's been wildly inconsistent over the last couple years. Sometimes he sounds great, and sometimes he's slow and makes really sloppy mistakes. Izzy hasn't performed in what, 10 years? Can't really say much about him but I did think he was good when I saw him at the last 2012 residency shows.

I get that people want 'closure' but I don't think an AFD5 tour could be anything other than underwhelming.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

This might've been true in 2016.

I love Steven's drumming but it seems like he's been wildly inconsistent over the last couple years. Sometimes he sounds great, and sometimes he's slow and makes really sloppy mistakes. Izzy hasn't performed in what, 10 years? Can't really say much about him but I did think he was good when I saw him at the last 2012 residency shows.

I get that people want 'closure' but I don't think an AFD5 tour could be anything other than underwhelming.

I completely disagree.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slugworth said:

I've never seen a single person say this. Most people who want an AFD reunion just want it as the final chapter of the band for closure. Full circle.

Well, I don’t want any closure of this sort. I want the band to stop touring and start seriously looking at what they can do in new music’s regard (TM). And then start doing public stuff as a band again, like videos, interviews, communication with fans, maybe even documentaries, old material, memoires, etc., i.e. exciting stunts that normal bands do, and not that continuous super-secret, everything-under-the-lid, Pentagon stay tuned mystery bullshit they’ve been doing since like 2001. And once they’ve released multiple albums (haha, but then again, they do have enough material from the past), then maybe, as the final goodbye, sure, why not. But then, Axl won’t probably be able to sing at all by then, plus they’ll all be very old. I myself wouldn’t be interested in this kind of "closure". 
Plus this whole thing is not topical anyway, they've only barely finished NITL and started releasing new old demos...

On 8/27/2023 at 12:18 AM, janrichmond said:

I don't think it'd make any difference to the general audience numbers. I love the AFD 5 but it's too late now, they're older and we're older. I've never seen GNR with Steven and tbh I doubt if I'd go to see them again with or without him.

This made me sad to read, but then realised, I'm most likely in the exact same position. I think the only potential changes to get me back to seeing GNR is a much small venue tour (arena tour - and closer to home, not London as per), or Izzy AND Steven back. 

As for the general ticket buying population's interest in Izzy & Steven - no one cares enough to make a decision on a ticket because of those guys. It's only the hardcore fanbase that does. As someone said earlier in the thread - Axl and Slash are what 90% of the audience cares about. Who the fuck cares about a rhythm section anyway :lol: (JOKING!)

Edited by invisible_rose
  • Like 2

On 8/28/2023 at 12:27 AM, Outofgascar said:

Speaking of all that, have you seen the JCM Led Zeppelin Stories channel on YouTube about those shows? If not, I highly recommend it if you are Zep fan. He does a phenomenal job. I really wish someone would do a GNR channel just like that one with such attention to detail. Imagine if Chinese Whispers were a lengthy video series. Now THAT I would pay for. 

It's an amazing channel! Would also love a Guns one. One of my favourite GN'R things is the little mini-magazine Classic Rock Magazine put out with an issue about the making of Chinese when the album came out. Would love an up to date one! 

The name Guns N Roses brings in the crowds. Slash brings in the crowds. The unpredictability of Axl brings in the crowds. As much as we all love the others, they just don’t have the same effect with the general public. I once saw Duff’s “Loaded” at a local venue to me in the UK, there must have been a hundred people there at most