A quick convo with Tommy

Yeah, seems he doesn’t want to talk about GNR like any of the old NuGNR members, but that’s what a lot of people would care about :shrugs:

Grilling him on the subject would have only made him think you were a knob. I think you did fine

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3

Thanks for keeping us in mind but I think you might have gotten more from Tommy in another situation and not coming in with the Clark Kent persona straight away. He seemed pretty open to the topic though, I don't think it was the right scenario to have a profound conversation about his feelings towards Guns or ChiDem and doubt that if he had any negative feelings he would've opened up to a totally random person outside a venue.

Edited by superloconoriega

Just now, rocknroll41 said:

The whole “I haven’t heard it but I remember working on it” comment sounds kinda passive-aggressive. Probably best that you didn’t ask him any more questions after that.

didn't get that at all, not possible from just a "transcription"

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

The whole “I haven’t heard it but I remember working on it” comment sounds kinda passive-aggressive. Probably best that you didn’t ask him any more questions after that.

He didn’t seem upset talking about it at all. He seemed into the convo. I think my wording is coming off different than what it was like IRL. 

when he said that he said it with a smile like it was a good memory. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Probably a lie as well. Not buying you haven’t heard a song that’s been out for nearly 2 months considering you used to be in a version of this band for 15+ years and had worked on this particular song at some point. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Probably a lie as well. Not buying you haven’t heard a song that’s been out for nearly 2 months considering you used to be in a version of this band for 15+ years and had worked on this particular song at some point. 

it's not that far fetched imo that Tommy hasn't heard the new version. Maybe it's hard to imagine that Tommy wasn't curious enough to check it out, I get it, but I trust that he just doesn't give enough of a fuck in general for him to lie about this.

• Like 2

I just want to know why everyone who has worked on ChiDem has been so cagey and evasive whenever anyone asks them to get specific about what actually happened. It's almost always the exact same of vague statements like someone gave them a list of acceptable responses. It's so odd.

I mean if he was open and happily answering questions and giving details go and ask more, but in this instance he was being polite but not really wanting to say much. I don't think he'll be telling anybody about his contract or revealing secrets of recording Chinese as he knows Axl doesn't want that stuff out there. We can all one day hope for a book, I'm sure he could tell some great stories!

Good work though! Haven't kept up with Tommy's solo stuff but he seems to be playing so e fun venues and just enjoying himself!

3 minutes ago, meadsoap said:

I just want to know why everyone who has worked on ChiDem has been so cagey and evasive whenever anyone asks them to get specific about what actually happened. It's almost always the exact same of vague statements like someone gave them a list of acceptable responses. It's so odd.

Because of their ex boss and not wanting angry emails sent their way 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rovim said:

it's not that far fetched imo that Tommy hasn't heard the new version. Maybe it's hard to imagine that Tommy wasn't curious enough to check it out, I get it, but I trust that he just doesn't give enough of a fuck in general for him to lie about this.

It’s possible he hasn’t heard it but I doubt it. If he hasn’t, his lack of curiosity shows it’s a good thing he’s been replaced by someone who cares more. 

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Hard to imagine that he's not one of the 4+ million people who have listened to the song. I call BS on his part....

• Like 1

I mentioned it in the General thread. But Tommy is Tommy. He's an old punk rocker showing his age. I wouldn't be surprised if his listening habits are left of the dial of today's mainstream rock. I think he's happy to talk about Guns, but I don't think he cares enough or remembers enough to give too insightful of answers about anything Chinese Democracy related. It seemed very much like it was a gig and far in the rear view when I've seen him and not something he lived and breathed.

1 hour ago, Jakey Styley said:

Not the first time Tommy has spoken of Axl's difficulties releasing the album, I'd love to hear his specific explanation of that

It's gotta be legal issues around the band & business entities with Slash & Duff, and then royalties/ownership of various songs from the parties who contributed and subsequently left. But I'd love someone to detail it all! If Duff & Slash did hold up the process, I can't imagine anyone wanting dig that up now. All water under the bridge now.

31 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

I mentioned it in the General thread. But Tommy is Tommy. He's an old punk rocker showing his age. I wouldn't be surprised if his listening habits are left of the dial of today's mainstream rock. I think he's happy to talk about Guns, but I don't think he cares enough or remembers enough to give too insightful of answers about anything Chinese Democracy related. It seemed very much like it was a gig and far in the rear view when I've seen him and not something he lived and breathed.

Tommy was one of the ones who was most devoted to the idea of nuGuns, and even in interviews now he speaks with pride about Chinese democracy and the time he was there. He stayed with guns until he couldn't tour anymore due to familial obligations  He also basically ran the band when Axl wasn't around, going above and beyond what he was actually paid to do.

If there was anyone who would be able to give real answers about the CD period, it would be Tommy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, meadsoap said:

Tommy was one of the ones who was most devoted to the idea of nuGuns, and even in interviews now he speaks with pride about Chinese democracy and the time he was there. He stayed with guns until he couldn't tour anymore due to familial obligations  He also basically ran the band when Axl wasn't around, going above and beyond what he was actually paid to do.

If there was anyone who would be able to give real answers about the CD period, it would be Tommy.

One thing I would like to know is if he's still (somewhat)in contact with the GNR camp. I know he's attended some shows, but has he spoken or texted with Axl? does he talk with any of the guys that were in the band during his tenure? has he been backstage with GNR at any of the shows. I know once you leave a band and that band is out and busy it's likely you fall out of orbit, but hopefully Axls loyalty goes further than the end of your latest contract.

It sounded like he was saying when he had to leave, Axl wasn't happy with the decision and it strained the relationship... I just find that hard to believe considering how key Tommy had been from joing GNR until his departure. AND once again, I'll fully cop to not liking Tommy initially, it was the 2009-to end of nuGNR that I got to like Tommy.

Edited by Tom2112

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

It sounded like he was saying when he had to leave, Axl wasn't happy with the decision and it strained the relationship... I just find that hard to believe considering how key Tommy had been from joing GNR until his departure. AND once again, I'll fully cop to not liking Tommy initially, it was the 2009-to end of nuGNR that I got to like Tommy.

I think the fact Axl was upset about Tommy going shows that he cared for him and valued his presence. Same reason why he was saying "fuck Izzy" on stage some nights during the UYI tour, and other nights saying he missed Izzy a lot and wished he was there. That's kind of always been Axl's M.O. 

Personally, I think there's a good chance Tommy and Axl are on good terms, considering that Tommy has gone to multiple reunion concerts to watch them play. I can't imagine Tommy doing that if things were bad between them. But it's a tossup whether they actually talk or not. I think not, since Axl doesn't seem to talk to anyone outside of his core circle of people with any regularity. DJ Ashba (I know how much this site dislikes him but it's relevant) said pretty much exactly this. That Axl lives in his own bubble, and once your out of the bubble then that's it. Not necessarily because there's any hard feelings, but because Axl just doesn't interact with many people at once.

Edited by meadsoap

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

One thing I would like to know is if he's still (somewhat)in contact with the GNR camp. I know he's attended some shows, but has he spoken or texted with Axl? does he talk with any of the guys that were in the band during his tenure? has he been backstage with GNR at any of the shows. I know once you leave a band and that band is out and busy it's likely you fall out of orbit, but hopefully Axls loyalty goes further than the end of your latest contract.

He said in one of the recent interviews (paraphrasing) that he hasn't talked to Axl, but he's on good terms with the camp. I think he must be still in touch with Fortus, at least.

If social media are any indication, he's the only NuGnR member Beta and Dizzy still follow on Instagram (Beta has liked some of his posts, too). He doesn't follow anyone from GN'R though.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He said in one of the recent interviews (paraphrasing) that he hasn't talked to Axl, but he's on good terms with the camp. I think he must be still in touch with Fortus, at least.

If social media are any indication, he's the only NuGnR member Beta and Dizzy still follow on Instagram (Beta has liked some of his posts, too).

I think he said in an interview recently (this past year) he texts with Duff every once in awhile and also mentioned talking to Fortus as well 

if I had the chance to meet Tommy, I’d ask him about Village Gorilla Head. That album is amazing IMO 

Edited by Appetitefordiscussion
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, meadsoap said:

For someone like Tommy, his parts were essentially done by 1999-2000 for a lot of the material. Everything that got added or tweaked afterwards were probably only heard in passing. It’s possible that he doesn’t remember random stuff he put bass on that wasn’t rehearsed and performed constantly 

He’s also a professional. You don’t burn bridges. Especially with a band that you were a part of for nearly two decades. Relationships are everything in music. He knows the lines that shouldn’t be crossed  

• Like 2

as I said before, Tommy is a friend.

He's playing backyards just because he want to do it, he declined a GREAT GIG (succesfull brothers reunion). Sober, peacefull...

And yes... you will figure out about "Going Down"  sooner than later. and NO, Tommy isn't involved in social media about GNR

as I said before,

Edited by anchel2